ESPN suspends Jemele Hill

For the civil discussion of college sports
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

ESPN suspends Jemele Hill

Post by deejay » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:27 pm

She gets 2 weeks suspension this time for another on air tirade. About time. I am not sure how her show has even survived. I have tried to watch the Hill/Smith show. IMO it is usually a lot of baseless information.
go cubs go!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Re: ESPN suspends Jemele Hill

Post by tribecalledquest » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:35 pm

deejay wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:27 pm
She gets 2 weeks suspension this time for another on air tirade. About time. I am not sure how her show has even survived. I have tried to watch the Hill/Smith show. IMO it is usually a lot of baseless information.
I'm going to guess you aren't the target demographic for the show. Nor am I. I don't watch it.
“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Correct.
go cubs go!

tombs14
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by tombs14 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Shock value tactics are used when material and stations are failing. No surprise here.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:35 pm

There are like 50 different things going on here.

First off she's getting suspended for the Curt Schilling clause - not because of content but because of just tweeting in the first place.

Second, the people upset at her this time are the NFL advertisers. Which is a very troubling sign. She gets suspended for messing with ESPN's money. Not before for social issues, but now for business ones? This is the thing people should be caring about.

And then after that you get to the social issues. People on one sign are mad this isn't a firing, people on the other are mad anything was done at all.

And all of this is done with the NFL as its shadow. I wonder if they did what they did to Bill Simmons here and asked ESPN to do something.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:42 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:35 pm
This is the thing people should be caring about.
With all due respect, I will care about what I want to care about. And that's NFL money. :P
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:35 pm

She called for people to boycott a major source of her employer's revenue. ESPN likely should have fired her, but were afraid of protests and being called racist.

On the other side of the equation with her comments, she indicated players who stand would be looked at as sellouts. To me, this is a backhand slap at those players who have always stood for the anthem.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

houstontxbrave
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by houstontxbrave » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 am

I wonder if Linda Cohen would still be employed by ESPN if she had tweeted the exact same thing in regard to the NFL/advertisers?

Hill is getting a pass for one simple reason and it is not the content of her tweets. Anyone in an organization were to make disparaging comments about advertisers of an income source would have been fired immediately.

She gets a suspension. Interesting standard.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 am

houstontxbrave wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 am
I wonder if Linda Cohen would still be employed by ESPN if she had tweeted the exact same thing in regard to the NFL/advertisers?

Hill is getting a pass for one simple reason and it is not the content of her tweets. Anyone in an organization were to make disparaging comments about advertisers of an income source would have been fired immediately.

She gets a suspension. Interesting standard.
Yep. Another example of black people being treated better than their white counterparts. When will this inequality stop?

houstontxbrave

Post by houstontxbrave » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am

She is black and a woman and gets a pass because of those two factors. She didn't get a pass because of the success of her program.

A white man or woman saying the same thing on twitter about a revenue source of ESPN's would not have been suspended, fired. Bill Simmons comes to mind.

Cohen got suspended for suggesting the network has become to political. Hill gets a suspension for wanting protests towards the advertisers of the largest revenue source and a partner of the network. Two outcomes exact same for two wildly different opinions.

If it can be explained why she was only suspended and not fired for a reason other then my first sentence, let us all know.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am

houstontxbrave wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am
She is black and a woman and gets a pass because of those two factors. She didn't get a pass because of the success of her program.

A white man or woman saying the same thing on twitter about a revenue source of ESPN's would not have been suspended, fired. Bill Simmons comes to mind.

Cohen got suspended for suggesting the network has become to political. Hill gets a suspension for wanting protests towards the advertisers of the largest revenue source and a partner of the network. Two outcomes exact same for two wildly different opinions.

If it can be explained why she was only suspended and not fired for a reason other then my first sentence, let us all know.
Bill Simmons wasn't fired by ESPN over his Tweeting. His contract was up. When he ran "afoul" of the NFL/ESPN on Twitter he was suspended similar to Jemele Hill.

You have to be sick of white men not being able to get away with things right? Ugh!!! Again, when will this inequality towards white men end?????

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm

What? People are saying the black/white thing? She's still around for only one reason - the sunk cost that ESPN invested into The Six. Just like how Bill Simmons got a million chances because of his popularity. ESPN is pot committed into her for awhile.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm
What? People are saying the black/white thing? She's still around for only one reason - the sunk cost that ESPN invested into The Six. Just like how Bill Simmons got a million chances because of his popularity. ESPN is pot committed into her for awhile.
Exactly.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm
Exactly.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/t ... l-analysis

She very likely violated her contract so sunk costs into her contract don't come into the equation because she could be fired for cause. Her stance to boycott the NFL and their advertisers jeopardizes ESPN's multi billion dollar NFL relationship, so the sunk costs for her even if they were forced to pay her off are a miniscule compared to this. Finally, ESPN is bleeding subscribers and viewers so there is no logical reason to go to bat for an anchor who alienates a lot of potential viewers. If she continues to cause problems, she has to be gone because even if they need to rebrand Sports Center again it is infinitely better than the alternative.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:17 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 pm

She very likely violated her contract
Ding ding ding! THIS is likely the winning answer. Personally, her show is an opinion show so she should be allowed to express that opinion on-air. However, when she went off-air with her tweets she contradicted her employer's interests and likely violated her contract. Frankly, she's extremely lucky she wasn't fired, but I'm guessing her show contract is nearing an end and ESPN decided that was the route of least resistance.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"