So when is a foul a foul?

For the civil discussion of college sports
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

So when is a foul a foul?

Post by deejay » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Creighton makes three free throws and takes the lead over Xavier on a questionable foul on a three point try with 4.6 seconds. Xavier player drives down court and creates contact with a Creighton player as he throws up a shot with .03 seconds to go. A BLOCKING FOUL! Xavier makes both free throws and wins the game. Officials were in great position to let these calls be no calls , but instead fell for the offensive player antics.
go cubs go!

wolverine55
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Re: So when is a foul a foul?

Post by wolverine55 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:02 pm

It's also not supposed to be a foul if the three point shooter kicks his leg out to initiate contact...and Wisconsin has just gotten that call two possessions in a row.
18 5 7 7 9 5 19 21 3 11 19 4 9 3 11

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Yep. Officials anymore love to be the center of attention. Look at Ted Valentine earlier this year. They just refuse to let the game come to them. It is becoming pretty embarrassing replay after replay show that.
go cubs go!

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:41 pm

deejay wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:13 pm
Creighton makes three free throws and takes the lead over Xavier on a questionable foul on a three point try with 4.6 seconds. Xavier player drives down court and creates contact with a Creighton player as he throws up a shot with .03 seconds to go. A BLOCKING FOUL! Xavier makes both free throws and wins the game. Officials were in great position to let these calls be no calls , but instead fell for the offensive player antics.
Sounds like a similar play that knocked ISU out of the NIT last year. To me the rules are pretty clear and if kids are giving ground and the offensive player initiates contact at very worst it is a play-on. What drives me nuts is the inconsistency on calls like this late in the game. Officials either seem over-eager to call fouls on a play like you described or they let go a play where an offensive player in legitimately fouled. Just call the dang game like the first 39 minute and 50 seconds would be called. :cuss
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:04 pm

Reggie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:41 pm
deejay wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:13 pm
Sounds like a similar play that knocked ISU out of the NIT last year. To me the rules are pretty clear and if kids are giving ground and the offensive player initiates contact at very worst it is a play-on. What drives me nuts is the inconsistency on calls like this late in the game. Officials either seem over-eager to call fouls on a play like you described or they let go a play where an offensive player in legitimately fouled. Just call the dang game like the first 39 minute and 50 seconds would be called. :cuss
Man don't get me started on that ISU call.....I can't STAND ISU :D and that call was horrible. The defensive player has a right to be on the court. The ISU guy was backpedaling and the offensive guy KNEW he had no where to go so its just speed up and run into him...BOOM defensive foul. I just hate how offensive players keep getting bailed out time and time again......its seems as if the only time they call a charge is if the guy is totally set...but they need to call it if the D has good position and the ball handler barrels over the guy.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

Uncle Junior
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Uncle Junior » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:41 pm

Northwestern defender has their hands wrapped around the ball in Michigan St. game for a couple seconds with under 1:00 and the ref calls a foul. 7'0" 280 pound Azubuike for Kansas flops when defender puts his hand on his chest and foul is called on West Virginia player. Azubuike mugs West Virginia player in the last 1:00, no call fouled. Bob Huggins protests and gets booted out of game. Players are faking continuously and getting rewarded for it. Real fouls are not getting called. Non-fouls are getting called. It's getting dumb and dumber, yet we still watch.
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

wolverine55
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by wolverine55 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 pm

It was a 35-2 free throw count in that Kansas game. If you are going @@@@@ over a team, at least try to not make it so obvious.

wolverine55
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by wolverine55 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:40 pm

No complaints on the officiating in the first B10 game today and would feel that way had Sparty won. Officiating in the second game has been atrocious