For the civil discussion of college sports
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Re: College Football Week 5

Post by illini25 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:49 pm
Why not do what has worked since the invention of football on 4th and inches....an effing qb sneak
Bears just had 3rd and 1/2 yard and got 3 1/2 yards on QB sneak. It’s so high %.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Cappy
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Cappy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Mike Radigan wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:42 am
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm
Ohio States receivers are playing for Penn State tonight
You’ve got a big time receiver coming in next year from Lake Travis, TX. I’ll see him in person later this season.
If he is half as dangerous and talented as that kid that Brohm brought in to Purdue, he'll be good. Nice to see somebody with the big rep actually live up to the hype.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Reggie wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:50 am
Awesome job by James Franklin of taking the ball out of his star's hands on the final play. It worked out just as well for him as it did last year when Lincoln Riley took the ball out of Baker Mayfield's hands in two crucial plays in the Rose Bowl.

Among my biggest pet peeves in football is coaches who try to show how smart they are by fooling everybody on crucial plays instead of just allowing their stars to try to make plays. I am all for that stuff earlier in the game but at crunch time let the kids who got you there step up and make a play. If they passed of McSorely scrambled and they failed then so be it. But to not even give the kid a chance to make a play was just dumb.
I agree 100% Reggie. I don't watch a lot of college football anymore, but the last half of this game drew me in last night. I had no dog in the race but I was shocked at the last play from PSU and this after TWO straight time outs! The play looked clumsy and dead from the start. Give the ball to your STAR QB and let him win or lose the game. I actually yelled that out even though I am not a PSU or OSU fan. Geez. All I wanted was an exciting finish -that ending was a dud. On the other side, that McSorley kid sure is talented and fun to watch! He had an outstanding game. I thought the much heralded OSU QB looked pretty shaky last night...but he did drive the team 96 yards for winning score.

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:49 pm

The thing is even if McSorley kept the ball, the receivers were covered and Dre’mont Jones was right on McSorley to bring him down. Ohio State ate up every part of that play
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:49 pm
The thing is even if McSorley kept the ball, the receivers were covered and Dre’mont Jones was right on McSorley to bring him down. Ohio State ate up every part of that play
Doesn't matter, I still want my stud senior QB with the ball in his hands - maybe he makes some kind of special play but whatever, I still want him to decide the game. In fact, I believe I read earlier today somewhere that the PSU coach actually admitted that play call was not a good one and took the blame. Anyway, great college game and I was glad I watched the last half.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:50 pm

CIS wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:55 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:49 pm
Doesn't matter, I still want my stud senior QB with the ball in his hands - maybe he makes some kind of special play but whatever, I still want him to decide the game. In fact, I believe I read earlier today somewhere that the PSU coach actually admitted that play call was not a good one and took the blame. Anyway, great college game and I was glad I watched the last half.
Saw a meme over the weekend suggesting that Franklin was trying to set up a short 5th down conversion. :lol:
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:01 am

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:21 am

Yep. Not a Big Blue guy, but I am not sure what this official saw. Not even close.
go cubs go!

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:41 pm

deejay wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:21 am
Yep. Not a Big Blue guy, but I am not sure what this official saw. Not even close.

Harbaugh apparently asked the ref if the call was correctly announced/called as being on Higdon(#22). Answer was yes.

My question is: I wonder if the guy who made that call is reffing a game this week? That call makes me think he was looking for something....just saying. Watched allot of football over the years, not sure I ever saw one like that :shock:

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:04 am

Bballnut wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:41 pm
deejay wrote:

Harbaugh apparently asked the ref if the call was correctly announced/called as being on Higdon(#22). Answer was yes.

My question is: I wonder if the guy who made that call is reffing a game this week? That call makes me think he was looking for something....just saying. Watched allot of football over the years, not sure I ever saw one like that :shock:
A former co-worker of mine is a B1G Ten football official. They are graded on every game. Based on what he has told me this particular call was probably heavily scrutinized and discussed. I doubt, however, it led to the official sitting out a week unless there were previous calls in question.

The guy I know did not work this game.

The holding call at this spot of play is normally made by the referee, center judge or umpire. I had to closely watch a different replay than the one posted to figure out who dropped this flag. This particular call was made by the head linesman who had a straight down the line angle. His excuse may be his horrible view of what happened. The solution is don’t make holding calls from that position.

If you want to check B1G box scores today to see if he worked check for Linesman Michael Dolce. Crews stay together except for conflicts so check Referee Marc Kluczynski’s crew.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

MissouriValleyUnite

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:33 am

Speaking of officials, there’s a widow with 3 children (Amanda Sauer) who frequently does MAC games. You’ll often find her on those 20-degree weeknight Maction games. Her dream is to do a Michigan/Michigan St game. She’s incredibly dedicated.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:29 am

Clarification of my earlier post re: conflicts.

A typical conflict: played a sport for school means never assigned to that school’s games. For example, an official who played football for Iowa will be assigned to a different crew if his crew is assigned to Iowa game. He trades places for one week with another crew’s similar position official.

Another conflict is attending a school without having played a sport. The official must swap games when their crew is assigned to that school’s game for a period of 10 years from attending school.

Also these crews have pre/game meetings and film study just like teams. The crews usually meet on Friday afternoon/evening before Saturday games. Most have other jobs so their employers allow extra time away in order for officials to meet requirements of officiating.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Bballnut wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:41 pm
deejay wrote:

Michael Dolce didn’t work with crew for Illini at Rutgers today. I haven’t yet checked other boxes to see if he got shifted to a different crew.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Illinois is a much improved team , 2 more good recruiting seasons and they should be on their way to at least finishing top 2 in their division.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:38 am

Dolce worked the Nebraska at Wisconsin game. No suspension.

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:33 pm

illini25 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:38 am
Dolce worked the Nebraska at Wisconsin game. No suspension.
Thanks for all background info. I am still :scratch :shock: