For the civil discussion of college sports
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Re: NCAA basketball coaches among 10 charged with fraud and corruption

Post by illini25 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/tw ... 24387.html

Good read about Gatto and Code.

Of course Gatto got his adidas start as a favor from Sonny Vacarro. Code spent several years at Nike before working at adidas but his separation from Nike was contentious.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:26 pm

I am curious if ESPN is directly involved as well? It has been relatively recent that they have gotten into broadcasting more high school games, and I would be willing to bet the money they paid for these games was used to funnel kids to certain programs, etc. I would love it if Pitino flipped and had dirt on ESPN, etc.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:51 pm
This is the best take I have read on it all.

Schools don't have to pay players. Just let them make their own deals on other stuff.

https://sports.yahoo.com/solution-colle ... 08228.html
This is what I have been more on board with lately. This avoids Title IX problems also because every athlete has the opportunity to make their own money. I am still a fervent opponent of the schools themselves paying the players because they are already compensated by the school, albeit not a direct paycheck.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:35 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 am
tribecalledquest wrote:

Schools don't have to pay players. Just let them make their own deals on other stuff.

This is what I have been more on board with lately. This avoids Title IX problems also because every athlete has the opportunity to make their own money. I am still a fervent opponent of the schools themselves paying the players because they are already compensated by the school, albeit not a direct paycheck.
Right...People forget (or simply choose to ignore or minimize) they are getting the equivalent of $100K+ in the form of free education, housing, food, gear, etc.

I just would rather not see the education infrastructure forsake their core mission to serve as a minor league system for sports in the US.

The market and opportunity is there for building a robust club and professional minor league system in many sports in the US, especially football and basketball.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:45 am

squirrel wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:35 am
pndbaseball12 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Right...People forget (or simply choose to ignore or minimize) they are getting the equivalent of $100K+ in the form of free education, housing, food, gear, etc.

I just would rather not see the education infrastructure forsake their core mission to serve as a minor league system for sports in the US.

The market and opportunity is there for building a robust club and professional minor league system in many sports in the US, especially football and basketball.
Why not let the players decide to negotiate what they want for compensation?
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:52 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:45 am

We'll never agree on this, but they are compensated, rather considerably well already.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:57 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
squirrel wrote:
pndbaseball12 wrote:

Because then you have to come up with money for all of the other sports. If you want only basketball and football players to have the opportunity to participate in college athletics, this is how you reach that endgame. If you move to paying the players, you can kiss all other sports goodbye.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:03 am

squirrel wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:52 am
tribecalledquest wrote:

We'll never agree on this, but they are compensated, rather considerably well already.
That's not compensation. They aren't allowed to negotiate the terms. They could get a lot of that stuff covered via grants, academic aid and loans.
~Thomas Jefferson

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:04 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:57 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
squirrel wrote:

Because then you have to come up with money for all of the other sports. If you want only basketball and football players to have the opportunity to participate in college athletics, this is how you reach that endgame. If you move to paying the players, you can kiss all other sports goodbye.
Not true at all. There is an entire division of college athletics that has a ton of different sports and none of them on scholarship. D3 is a fantastic model for the NCAA.
~Thomas Jefferson

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:17 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:04 am
pndbaseball12 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Not true at all. There is an entire division of college athletics that has a ton of different sports and none of them on scholarship. D3 is a fantastic model for the NCAA.
Let me rephrase then, you can kiss division 1 athletics other than basketball and football, maybe baseball good bye.
-Tommy Lasorda

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:17 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
pndbaseball12 wrote:

Let me rephrase then, you can kiss division 1 athletics other than basketball and football, maybe baseball good bye.
I hear ya. But, IMO, it is not the responsibility of D1 basketball and football players to pay for the tennis programs.
~Thomas Jefferson

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:06 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am
pndbaseball12 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I hear ya. But, IMO, it is not the responsibility of D1 basketball and football players to pay for the tennis programs.
This all comes back to Title IX though. You have to have an equal number of female scholarships as men. So if there are 85 scholarship football players(not counting basketball because thats an easy fix), you have to have 85 female scholarship opportunities. Where is the school going to find the money to stay in Title IX compliance if all of the profits are going to basketball and football players?
-Tommy Lasorda

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:14 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:06 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
pndbaseball12 wrote:

This all comes back to Title IX though. You have to have an equal number of female scholarships as men. So if there are 85 scholarship football players(not counting basketball because thats an easy fix), you have to have 85 female scholarship opportunities. Where is the school going to find the money to stay in Title IX compliance if all of the profits are going to basketball and football players?
Yep. It's a tough deal all the way around.
~Thomas Jefferson

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:21 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I get that. It would be an easy step that eliminates 95% of the fair compensation argument.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
pndbaseball12 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Tribe, you're an ***! ;)

In all seriousness, tennis programs are typically great examples of the student-athlete model with average GPAs (with lots of tough majors) at or near the top of all teams.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:53 pm

illini25 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
pndbaseball12 wrote:

Tribe, you're an ***! ;)

In all seriousness, tennis programs are typically great examples of the student-athlete model with average GPAs (with lots of tough majors) at or near the top of all teams.
I agree 100%.

To be fair, I LIKE the current model. It’s what I grew up with and what I follow and know. But I also intellectually know what the right this is to do. Would it affect what I currently know and love? Of course. But that doesn’t mean the system is at all fair to the MBB and FB players at the highest level. I don’t want it to change but feel that it should.
~Thomas Jefferson

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:57 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:53 pm
illini25 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Tribe, you're an ***! ;)

I agree 100%.

To be fair, I LIKE the current model. It’s what I grew up with and what I follow and know. But I also intellectually know what the right this is to do. Would it affect what I currently know and love? Of course. But that doesn’t mean the system is at all fair to the MBB and FB players at the highest level. I don’t want it to change but feel that it should.
It's probably time for a change.

I just hope it doesn't mess up Illini tennis since it's one of the most successful programs at Illinois.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:00 pm

illini25 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:57 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:53 pm
illini25 wrote:

Tribe, you're an ***! ;)

I agree 100%.

It's probably time for a change.

I just hope it doesn't mess up Illini tennis since it's one of the most successful programs at Illinois.
I don’t think it would. I do a lot with D3 schools. The powerhouses there continue to be powerhouses each season. Things aren’t much different at that level in regards to that stuff. Kids will choose to go to the place that wins.
~Thomas Jefferson

BigB
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by BigB » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
You have to have an equal number of female scholarships as men. So if there are 85 scholarship football players(not counting basketball because thats an easy fix), you have to have 85 female scholarship opportunities.
The rules require a number of women's scholarship that reflects the ration of men/women enrollment, not an exact equal number.
If the male enrollment is 2x the female enrollment then the school must provide a number of women's scholarships that are half of what they provide men.
A summary of the rule is this statement from NCAA.
"An institution must ..Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students"

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 am

BigB wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 am
pndbaseball12 wrote:
You have to have an equal number of female scholarships as men. So if there are 85 scholarship football players(not counting basketball because thats an easy fix), you have to have 85 female scholarship opportunities.
The rules require a number of women's scholarship that reflects the ration of men/women enrollment, not an exact equal number.
If the male enrollment is 2x the female enrollment then the school must provide a number of women's scholarships that are half of what they provide men.
"An institution must ..Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students"
This would still require womens scholarships that would have to be funded somehow if all of the profits were going to mens basketball and football was my point. Pretty much the only women's programs I can think of that would bring in a significant amount of revenue to remain self sufficient are UCONN and MAYBE Tennessee.
-Tommy Lasorda

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:11 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 am
BigB wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 am
pndbaseball12 wrote:
This would still require womens scholarships that would have to be funded somehow if all of the profits were going to mens basketball and football was my point. Pretty much the only women's programs I can think of that would bring in a significant amount of revenue to remain self sufficient are UCONN and MAYBE Tennessee.
Right...but this assumes everything else stays the same as it relates to money spent on coaches salaries, travel, facility upgrades, etc. You could adjust some things in other areas and make it work.
~Thomas Jefferson

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:06 pm

I like Sean Miller at Arizona a lot. But the assistant that got caught up in the FBI thing has worked for him for 10 years. Don’t act like you had no idea what was going on. No one with a brain believes that.
~Thomas Jefferson

roadtrip
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by roadtrip » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 am

What do you want him to say "you got me, I will accept my punishment" All coaches are going to deny it until they are caught

tombs14
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by tombs14 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:16 am

Pitino banked that Adidas money directly - :lol:

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep. ... /733300001

I laughed when I read this. Not because I doubt Beilein but because of Michigan basketball's rich tradition of "dirty" dealings (Ed Martin FBI, IRS and DOJ; Mateen Cleaves recruiting trip; Fab 5 cash; Traylor/Taylor era cash).

No biggie. I just find it funny.

Edit: And give them credit for cleaning it up.