10th anniversary of Illinois' upset of #1 Ohio State

For the civil discussion of college sports
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

10th anniversary of Illinois' upset of #1 Ohio State

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:20 pm

It was 10 years ago today that Illinois pulled off one of the greatest wins in the history of the program:

This is definitely one of those moments that many of us will remember where we were when it happeend.

MissouriValleyUnite
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: 10th anniversary of Illinois' upset of #1 Ohio State

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:48 am

Ron Zook was underappreciated. His recruits won a national title at Florida. He was successful by Illinois standards. He also had an unforgettable personality like that one time he went for 2 up 20-13 on IU because he “forgot the score” (thought he was down 14-13 rather than up).

Easily one of my favorite college football characters ever.

edit: just noticed an in-game update where Notre Dame was 1-8 and trailing Air Force 24-10. Wow!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:48 am
edit: just noticed an in-game update where Notre Dame was 1-8 and trailing Air Force 24-10. Wow!
That Notre Dame team finished 3-9 that season and ended up losing to Air Force in that particular game 41-24. It was the week before that Air Force game where Navy beat Notre Dame to break the Irish's 43 game winning streak vs. the Midshipmen.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:29 pm

I was at Pontiac that day watching Metamora win a quarterfinal playoff game. I listened to the game coming home and got home just in time to see the end. Illinois basically pitched a perfect game that day to spring the upset.

Ironic that another poster mentioned ND because that ties into another Pontiac playoff game. In 1993 I was attending a semifinal game in Pontiac where they beat Montini. On the way home that day I was listening to the BC-ND game. The first score I heard was 38-17. Only a few minutes later did I realize ND was on the wrong end of it. I listened to the comeback on the way home and got back just in time to see BC kick the winning FG. When I later saw the highlights and saw the ND LB drop a sure interception on the final drive I wanted to throw up.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Ironically I just rewatched Ohio State knock off undefeated Illinois in basketball on Thursday.
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:06 pm
Ironically I just rewatched Ohio State knock off undefeated Illinois in basketball on Thursday.

The arena went CRAZY when OSU took the lead.
"The Pack Leader"