CFP Selection Show Thread

For the civil discussion of college sports
Cappy
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: CFP Selection Show Thread

Post by Cappy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Don't know if there are any Vonnegut fans out there but this might be a rare case of chrono-synclastic infindibulum, a condition by which all truths intersect, and nobody is wrong. Me, I think they should take the B1G conf champ. bama didn't even win the west division of their conference, which as I said in another post, is what caused such controversy when Nebraska did the same thing. What goes around, comes around. It seems we're back where we started. Jeeeee-Zus am I rooting against the SEC now. Saw a funny tweet that said the groundskeeper who put the endzone turf back together just turned down the Tennessee job.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:40 pm
Another bad precedent over the last two years, scheduling doesn’t matter, just don’t lose. Ohio State schedules Miami (OH) instead of Oklahoma they are in the playoff. Same trash with Washington last year. Pathetic schedule still make the playoff with a loss.

I know Alabama tried to schedule Florida State but they also scheduled Mercer and only plays 8 conference games so it cancels out
I am pretty sure that in 2016 the committee cited Ohio State’s win at Oklahoma as one of the reasons they chose to put Ohio State in front of the Big Ten champion. So to say that scheduling tough games is pointless is not accurate. The committee does not punish schools for losing to good teams but rightfully does look down on losing to mediocre teams.

And honestly, if we are just talking about quality wins should Auburn not have been ahead of Ohio State in the conversation? No other team has wins over two playoff teams and a close loss on the road at a third.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 pm

I want them to get rid of the Conference Championship games and get rid of divisions. Play 9 game conference schedules (or 8, but everyone plays the same amount). Power 5 conference champs get automatic bids. One at-large goes to the highest ranked non-P5 and then 2 at-larges. Every team in the FBS needs to have access (even if it's extremely low probability) to winning a championship. UCF just proved that no team outside of the P5 any chance right now.
"The Pack Leader"

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:45 pm

I'd prefer a 16 team playoff, but 8 is probably the best we will get in the near future.
"The Pack Leader"

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:21 am

salz4life wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 pm
I want them to get rid of the Conference Championship games and get rid of divisions. Play 9 game conference schedules (or 8, but everyone plays the same amount). Power 5 conference champs get automatic bids. One at-large goes to the highest ranked non-P5 and then 2 at-larges. Every team in the FBS needs to have access (even if it's extremely low probability) to winning a championship. UCF just proved that no team outside of the P5 any chance right now.
The problem with this is that the conferences don’t have the same number of teams. The Big 12 actually has it perfect and could determine a true champion since everyone plays everyone. I don’t get why they couldn’t just use the BCS formula and then take the top 4, 8, or 16 whatever amount of teams you want
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda