Illinois Basketball 2017-18

For the civil discussion of college sports
User avatar
tombs14
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster
Posts: 2978
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Peoria County

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by tombs14 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm

OrangeandBlack74 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:41 pm
Mark Smith announces he is transferring from Illinois.
Ouch. I thought he would turn out to be a good 3-4 year player.

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7711
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by illini25 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:38 pm

tombs14 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm
OrangeandBlack74 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:41 pm
Mark Smith announces he is transferring from Illinois.
Ouch. I thought he would turn out to be a good 3-4 year player.
Have a friend who played B1G ball and coaches high school in St. Louis area. He told me in mid-January to expect this as Smith’s dad has told anyone and everyone he’s going.

Smith’s parents unhappy about “unfulfilled recruiting promises” and extra conditioning they deem unacceptable for a Mr. Basketball.

Honestly Underwood over promised Smith’s role based on his false perception he was B1G ready.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

User avatar
jim beam
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster
Posts: 2769
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:38 pm

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by jim beam » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Given the current climate in college basketball, there are probably a lot of unfulfilled recruiting promises occurring.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 13282
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:01 pm

As much as it's a shame to lose Smith, he had trouble adjusting to the college game, especially on the defensive end. It wouldn't take him long at times on the defensive end to get called for two quick fouls.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6336
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:07 pm

If true, it seems likely most of Smith's problems are caused by the thought that being Mr. Basketball means squat.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7711
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by illini25 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:45 pm

A much bigger loss for next season will be Leron Black if he opts to play for money somewhere in the world.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 13282
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:14 pm

illini25 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:45 pm
A much bigger loss for next season will be Leron Black if he opts to play for money somewhere in the world.
There's also some whispers that Michael Finke may graduate transfer to Grand Canyon to play basketball with his younger brother.

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7711
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by illini25 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:22 am

Finke, Jordan and Nichols most likely staying.

Vesel likely gone.

Lucas is possibly gone and it might not be Lucas’ choice.

Coaches love Jordan’s attitude and work ethic. They want him to stay and his parents want him to stay.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4821
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by deejay » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 am

This was no surprise. Smith will need to play defense, can’t be guaranteed a starting spot on offense alone at any level.
go cubs go!

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7711
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by illini25 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 am

deejay wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 am
This was no surprise. Smith will need to play defense, can’t be guaranteed a starting spot on offense alone at any level.
Especially when offense is also bad! :lol:

Staff promised him he’d be the guy and they tried to make it happen. Smith just wasn’t capable. Throw in helicopter factor with parents who played college ball and one who coaches high school and this was an incredible failure all the ways imaginable.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 19885
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by tribecalledquest » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 am

illini25 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 am
deejay wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 am
This was no surprise. Smith will need to play defense, can’t be guaranteed a starting spot on offense alone at any level.
Especially when offense is also bad! :lol:

Staff promised him he’d be the guy and they tried to make it happen. Smith just wasn’t capable. Throw in helicopter factor with parents who played college ball and one who coaches high school and this was an incredible failure all the ways imaginable.
How good a player is he? A Big Ten starter? Big Ten reserve? Missouri Valley starter?
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7711
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by illini25 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:18 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 am
illini25 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 am
deejay wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 am
This was no surprise. Smith will need to play defense, can’t be guaranteed a starting spot on offense alone at any level.
Especially when offense is also bad! :lol:

Staff promised him he’d be the guy and they tried to make it happen. Smith just wasn’t capable. Throw in helicopter factor with parents who played college ball and one who coaches high school and this was an incredible failure all the ways imaginable.
How good a player is he? A Big Ten starter? Big Ten reserve? Missouri Valley starter?
He’s slow and has trouble moving laterally. His supposed strength was finishing in traffic. I never saw it all year. Has a good 3-point stroke but having said that he shot 23% this year.

Honestly I’d say MVC starter his junior and senior years. Two schools he’s favoring right now are Butler and Oklahoma.

Problem was Underwood’s misread of ability combined with parents (like many) over valuing their kid’s ability. They think Underwood screwed his nba dream up.

Edit: Should add he has to figure out how to defend while making up for lack of lateral quickness. Underwood’s aggressive style really exposed Smith’s weaknesses so its best all around he finds something better suited.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

User avatar
Uncle Junior
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: Jersey, In The Nut House

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by Uncle Junior » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Possibly the worst Illinois Mr. Basketball I've ever seen. He could probably be a factor in the Horizon League in a couple years. Bad shot, bad defense.
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7711
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: Illinois Basketball 2017-18

Post by illini25 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:47 am

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illi ... sider.html

Michael Finke having minor knee surgery. Has not yet had talk about next year with Underwood.

Jeff Finke squashes rumor that he and wife are moving to Phoenix.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests