Urban Meyer

For the civil discussion of college sports
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Urban Meyer

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 pm

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tive-leave

Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer has been put on paid administrative leave while the school investigates claims made by Courtney Smith, the ex-wife of former WR coach Zach Smith who was fired within the past few weeks after allegations of domestic violence from 2015 surfaced, that several people close to Meyer, including possibly Meyer himself knew what happened and didn't report it.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by JD » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:46 pm

He can’t atay. Likely working on buyout
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:30 pm

JD wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:46 pm
He can’t atay. Likely working on buyout
He should not but I doubt anything happens because they are just another BCS school that lets pretty much anything go as long as they are winning championships.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:48 pm

I don’t believe the NCAA will allow Urban Meyer and Ohio State sweep this under the rug. Not after the Penn State fiasco. But one never knows. Thus far MSU Tom Izzo has escaped NCAA sanctions and Larry Nasser was evil and they still deny, deny and deny any wrong doing.
go cubs go!

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:39 pm

What exactly did Urban Meyer do wrong? Lie to the media? I honestly find it hard to believe that he didn't pass the information up when that is exactly what he did in 2009. Why is he responsible for reprimanding Zach Smith when his own wife was protecting him?

Courtney Smith never pressed charges because she didn't want Zach Smith to lose his job. Her parents hinted to her that she couldn't let Urban know or Smith would be fired. When filing for divorce, the documents were sealed because she didn't want him to lose his job.

I don't deny it looks bad; but if there is no concrete proof of Meyer orchestrating a cover up then I don't know how Ohio State fires him. If they fired him for the minuscule amount of information that has been presented then he would have his way in the court system for wrongful termination
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:44 pm

And the *** reporter claiming this is a Title IX issue shows he is not about facts. This is absolutely not Title IX. Courtney Smith was not a student-athlete or employ of the school.

I fully believe this is Courtney Smith trying to get some money because she knows the alimony from Zach Smith is gone and never returning. Its horrible what she went through but she can't expect the Meyer's to solve her problem when she was unwilling to do anything for herself. And why hang on to texts from 2015 unless she was always planning to blackmail the university in the event that Smith was fired?

Zach Smith is a horrible human being and should be placed in jail. But the issue is that it should have happened in 2009 instead of her protecting him.
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:58 pm

And now Zach Smith comes out and says that Gene Smith, the AD, was aware of the 2015 situation. Meyer releases a statement saying that he reported the 2015 incident up the chain.

If all of that is true, this is the problem with McMurphy's report. He interviewed Courtney Smith and only Courtney Smith. He talked to nobody at Ohio State. He was interested in dropping a bomb to get his name out there, to heck with finding all the information first. A microcosm of the problem with journalism in today's world.

I don't think there is any way Meyer releases that statement if he isn't going to be retained.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:29 pm

Buckeyes you're sounding like a lot of the, ahem, reasonable Ohio State fans I'm seeing online.

And as far as Title IX, you're right in that Courtney Smith is not an athlete nor an employee of the university. But with the contract extension that Meyer signed back in April, there are specific Title IX issues he could have and here's a portion of what it says as Meyer must:
promptly report to Ohio State’s Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including but not limited to sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff … a 'known violation' shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.
This means that if Meyer knew about what was happening, especially involving one of his assistants it was his responsibility to report it to the higher ups.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Honestly, I think Ohio State is pushing this story further into the media because they want the attention on this and not the brewing wrestling scandal that makes domestic violence look like tiddlywinks.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:15 pm

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:58 pm
And now Zach Smith comes out and says that Gene Smith, the AD, was aware of the 2015 situation. Meyer releases a statement saying that he reported the 2015 incident up the chain.

If all of that is true, this is the problem with McMurphy's report. He interviewed Courtney Smith and only Courtney Smith. He talked to nobody at Ohio State. He was interested in dropping a bomb to get his name out there, to heck with finding all the information first. A microcosm of the problem with journalism in today's world.

I don't think there is any way Meyer releases that statement if he isn't going to be retained.
Why did he say at media day he never knew about 2015?

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Urban Meyer's statement posted to his twitter account today:

MissouriValleyUnite
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:48 am

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:52 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:48 am
https://www.projectveritas.com/2018/08/ ... -of-abuse/
Quadriceps exploding :gagl :gagr
He has openly admitted to making mistakes at Florida. This is a nothing story.

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:56 am

JD wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:15 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Why did he say at media day he never knew about 2015?
I have no idea. For all we know he was saying “there was nothing there” about the fact police found no evidence of wrong doing.

Again his biggest error appears to be lying to the media. And the media are running hard and heavy with it because they are mad he lied to them.

Why is it his job to investigate Smith after the police come out and say there is nothing to press charges on? Anybody who thinks he is responsible for that is frankly ignorant. The police were involved and Gene Smith was aware. Meyer met his obligation

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:09 pm

I think it's completely and utterly tone deaf the way the program and school handled this, especially in the wake of Penn State. To state this isn't on the head coach is just flat out irresponsible. When you are leading a major college athletics program, in a sense, you are a cult leader. People circle the wagons for you. They fall on swords for you. The buck stops with you. Even knowing that, makes you implicit, as it becomes all too easy to plead ignorance. Those days are over. If something shady happens, the coach absolutely MUST know all the details and ensure they are addressed properly.

The era of protectionism is over.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:44 pm

He lied to protect Smith. I see not much coming of this. Big Ten is a second rate conference run by second rate people.
go cubs go!

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:41 pm

squirrel wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:09 pm
I think it's completely and utterly tone deaf the way the program and school handled this, especially in the wake of Penn State. To state this isn't on the head coach is just flat out irresponsible. When you are leading a major college athletics program, in a sense, you are a cult leader. People circle the wagons for you. They fall on swords for you. The buck stops with you. Even knowing that, makes you implicit, as it becomes all too easy to plead ignorance. Those days are over. If something shady happens, the coach absolutely MUST know all the details and ensure they are addressed properly.

:zappl :zappl :zappl :zappl :zappl
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 pm

squirrel wrote:

It should be. I can’t see OSU doing the right thing

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:10 pm

squirrel wrote:

Coaches know and want to know EVERYTHING going on with “their” program. When they try to claim they didn’t know about something they are lying
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:58 am

squirrel wrote:

The police were involved. The police said there was nothing. Again, if the police found nothing are you suggesting that Urban Meyer should the go full Hardy Boy and try to find something the police didn’t. As long as he reported it and the police and Gene Smith were involved then it isn’t on Meyer anymore. He did his part.

As a mandated reporter he met his responsibility. I am a teacher. If I see a kid bruised and I report it and the police find nothing, I can guarantee you that I’m not going to continue digging.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 am

That's awful convenient to say. To equate Ohio State to your situation is a farce. In your example, if there is something there, it gets handled properly the overwhelming majority of the time. When a major college athletics program is involved, local authorities have long established that proper handling is no guarantee. The likelihood of bias, taint, intimidation or coercion is too great. And Meyer of all people should know this.

This also isn't the only problem Ohio State is dealing with at the moment.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:59 am

Not following too closely. Did assistant get fired for 2015 incident or a new incident? If new incident then I can see how Meyer is in the clear.

If termination is for the 2015 incident then it appears as if Meyer has more to explain as how can it be term worthy now but not 3 years ago?
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:11 pm

illini25 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:59 am
Not following too closely. Did assistant get fired for 2015 incident or a new incident? If new incident then I can see how Meyer is in the clear.

If termination is for the 2015 incident then it appears as if Meyer has more to explain as how can it be term worthy now but not 3 years ago?
Zach Smith violated a restraining order about a month ago. Conveniently Courtney Smith failed to show up to a designated meeting spot so he had to drop the kids off at her house. The order said he couldn’t go to her house.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:11 pm
illini25 wrote:

Zach Smith violated a restraining order about a month ago. Conveniently Courtney Smith failed to show up to a designated meeting spot so he had to drop the kids off at her house. The order said he couldn’t go to her house.
Victim blaming is never a good look.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:02 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:52 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:11 pm
illini25 wrote:

Victim blaming is never a good look.
Sorry but she is playing the victim card quite well. Answer these questions for me and I’ll change my opinion.

Why did she hang on to screen shots of texts from three years ago and only release them now that Smith lost his job and in turn she lost her alimony? Especially since she could have used those texts/pics as evidence for the police?

If she is only wanting to get the truth out then why did she ask McMurphy for a 6 figure payout? McMurphy admitted she asked for it but didn’t as knowledge if he paid it.

The reality is that both Smiths appear to be not all that great of people. I never even hinted that she deserved to be beaten or abused and I never would but just because I’m not going to ignore all of her impure intentions does not make me a victim blamer.