College Football Week 1

For the civil discussion of college sports
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

College Football Week 1

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:42 am

College football's opening weekend is here. Lots of big games this weekend including Michigan-Notre Dame, Washington-Auburn, Louisville-Alabama, Miami-LSU, and Virginia Tech-Florida State.

Among the state schools, you have Illinois hosting Kent State, EIU at Arkansas, NIU at Iowa, and Illinois State hosting St. Xavier.

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Re: College Football Week 1

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:32 am

Thank god actual football has started
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:31 pm

Illini with a less than inspiring performance in their win against Kent State today.

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Appalachian State barely misses a repeat upset 11 years later. Penn State escaped in OT
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:24 pm

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:24 pm
Appalachian State barely misses a repeat upset 11 years later. Penn State escaped in OT
And as someone on twitter pointed out, September 1st won't fall on a Saturday again for another 11 years. I'd hate to be the B1G team that has to face the Mountaineers that day.
Last edited by Bluejaygrad03 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Final score earlier today in Fayetteville, AR: Arkansas 55, EIU 20

Panthers play at ISU in the Mid-America Classic next Saturday night.

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Brian Kelly is an idiot. Wish ND would get rid of him.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:58 pm

What has Jim Harbaugh done at Michigan? Anything worth noting?

Did I hear they have lost 17 true road games in a row vs ranked teams? If true--that's not what elite programs do. Sheesh.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:21 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:58 pm
What has Jim Harbaugh done at Michigan? Anything worth noting?

Did I hear they have lost 17 true road games in a row vs ranked teams? If true--that's not what elite programs do. Sheesh.
9-9 in his last 18 games. It is one game this year though on the road in the opener.

MissouriValleyUnite
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:20 pm

And Michigan has the 5 toughest B1G teams (OSU, PSU, MSU, UW, N’western) plus Nebraska on the schedule. Drop 5 and lose the bowl - and Harbaugh’s 15-15 in his last 30 following Year 4.

iversonfan14
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by iversonfan14 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:45 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:00 pm
Honest question...who would you rather have that will actually come to ND and be better?

Saban will never come and wouldn’t have great success having to be ethical and follow ND’s guidelines.

Urban is now dead to ND...that will never happen.

I strongly encourage you to read the article Quenton Nelson’s dad wrote at the finish of NDs season last year about this very topic. He essentially bashes ND fans for making those same comments and explains why

I personally think Brian Kelly is a very good coach and Chris Peterson is about the only coach that I would want at ND that I could see being better than him. Kelly has won 4 bowl games, had 3 10-win seasons and made it to the National Championship game once. This is the best ND team (depth wise) that Brian Kelly has ever had at ND. Guys that are third string for them this year would have been starting in past years. He went conservative in the 2nd half because he knew Michigan’s offense wasn’t going to beat NDs very good defense so he just wanted to make sure Wimbush didn’t cost them the game like he did vs Miami last year. I, along with most analysts, talked about how great of a gameplan and a well coached game last night was for ND. Almost everyone was picking Michigan to win, said that Harbaugh was a far better coach and Patterson was a Heisman candidate, and the spread shifted 4 points on gameday meaning all the money was coming in on Michigan. ND flat out dominated that game (despite what the final score indicated) and I know I couldn’t have asked for more from Kelly and ND. Now ND should be 4-0 heading into the Stanford game.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:57 pm

iversonfan14 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:45 pm
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Honest question...who would you rather have that will actually come to ND and be better?

Saban will never come and wouldn’t have great success having to be ethical and follow ND’s guidelines.

Urban is now dead to ND...that will never happen.

I strongly encourage you to read the article Quenton Nelson’s dad wrote at the finish of NDs season last year about this very topic. He essentially bashes ND fans for making those same comments and explains why

I personally think Brian Kelly is a very good coach and Chris Peterson is about the only coach that I would want at ND that I could see being better than him. Kelly has won 4 bowl games, had 3 10-win seasons and made it to the National Championship game once. This is the best ND team (depth wise) that Brian Kelly has ever had at ND. Guys that are third string for them this year would have been starting in past years. He went conservative in the 2nd half because he knew Michigan’s offense wasn’t going to beat NDs very good defense so he just wanted to make sure Wimbush didn’t cost them the game like he did vs Miami last year. I, along with most analysts, talked about how great of a gameplan and a well coached game last night was for ND. Almost everyone was picking Michigan to win, said that Harbaugh was a far better coach and Patterson was a Heisman candidate, and the spread shifted 4 points on gameday meaning all the money was coming in on Michigan. ND flat out dominated that game (despite what the final score indicated) and I know I couldn’t have asked for more from Kelly and ND. Now ND should be 4-0 heading into the Stanford game.
Oh good. You dropped the “ethical” thing and Notre Dame has higher standards thing. Will fans of big time college programs every get away from this penis measuring contest?
~Thomas Jefferson

iversonfan14

Post by iversonfan14 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm

And your post is exactly why I stay away from this board anymore. Not saying ND is better than every school, just saying at ND there are different standards and there is zero chance with all this Urban Meyer stuff that they will ever hire him again. And Quenton Nelson’s father wrote the exact same stuff in his article from last year...he would know from experience in the recruiting process

Per the father of ND first round pick Quenton Nelson:

There are those on this board who are not particularly thrilled with ND going 10-3 from 4-8 and those who still believe that there is a “better man out there to lead ND back to their glory days”. I would ask you WHO?, and don’t give me the Urban Meyer, Nick Saban ^^. First of all, Urban flat out told Q that he would “hate South Bend” and that his wife refused to go back and live there and would flat out not let him take the position when it was offered AND neither one of them could or would coach here under the rules, restrictions requirements and standards that are Notre Dame.

Ironically, it was these very standards, the quality of players, the coaches and Notre Dame itself that made Q think long and hard about staying......

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:44 pm

iversonfan14 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm
And your post is exactly why I stay away from this board anymore. Not saying ND is better than every school, just saying at ND there are different standards and there is zero chance with all this Urban Meyer stuff that they will ever hire him again. And Quenton Nelson’s father wrote the exact same stuff in his article from last year...he would know from experience in the recruiting process

Per the father of ND first round pick Quenton Nelson:

There are those on this board who are not particularly thrilled with ND going 10-3 from 4-8 and those who still believe that there is a “better man out there to lead ND back to their glory days”. I would ask you WHO?, and don’t give me the Urban Meyer, Nick Saban ^^. First of all, Urban flat out told Q that he would “hate South Bend” and that his wife refused to go back and live there and would flat out not let him take the position when it was offered AND neither one of them could or would coach here under the rules, restrictions requirements and standards that are Notre Dame.

Ironically, it was these very standards, the quality of players, the coaches and Notre Dame itself that made Q think long and hard about staying......
Lol. Ok. That’s all the unbiased evidence I need. Come on man. The morally superior stuff is an old tired argument that teams who don’t win enough use.
~Thomas Jefferson

MissouriValleyUnite

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:17 pm

That excuse works for Army/Navy/Air Force and maybe Northwestern/Rice/Duke. The list ends there. The Stanford’s (under Harbaugh), Notre Dame’s, and Vanderbilt’s (under Franklin) have exhausted it.

iversonfan14

Post by iversonfan14 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:41 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:17 pm
That excuse works for Army/Navy/Air Force and maybe Northwestern/Rice/Duke. The list ends there. The Stanford’s (under Harbaugh), Notre Dame’s, and Vanderbilt’s (under Franklin) have exhausted it.
And on these idiotic statements I’m out again.

MissouriValleyUnite

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:28 pm

From secondhand experience of a relative’s recruiting process, Notre Dame is a lot more accommodating with admission standards than you’d probably think.

Sure they don’t pull the stunts many schools do, but there’s no reason Notre Dame couldn’t be on top. Not finding the best fit at HC is the reason for it - not some mythical halo.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:32 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.c ... t-have/amp

Kelly's decision led directly to the death of a student videographer and he wasn't even punished. So yeah, ND clearly has different standards of conduct for their coaches.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:58 pm

iversonfan14 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:41 pm
Everyone who competes at the big time level have had their issues over time. No one gets to claim the morally superior card and, quite frankly, no one outside of that teams fans/alums even care.
~Thomas Jefferson

MissouriValleyUnite

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:32 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.c ... t-have/amp

Kelly's decision led directly to the death of a student videographer and he wasn't even punished. So yeah, ND clearly has different standards of conduct for their coaches.
Or, allegedly sweeping rape accusations under the rug (2016-17)
https://deadspin.com/lawsuit-notre-dame ... 1802775527

Or, under federal investigation for sexual harassment cases (2013-15)
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7082702

Or, the Lizzie Seeberg/Prince Shembo case (2010) with prior cases coming to light
https://deadspin.com/5897809/this-is-wh ... ulting-you

Not singling them out as this stuff happens in most places (read “Missoula”) but fans claiming an ethical high ground are out of touch.

Kelly’s response to the Seeberg suicide was joking about how many resources the media spent on it. Not seeing a better role model than Urban Meyer, sorry.

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 pm

iversonfan14 wrote:
GoBirdsGo II wrote:

Honestly buddy, my biggest problem with him is much more in regards to how I feel about him as a person, not the coach.

But, who would I want? Well, Scott Frost(Nebraska) or Craig Bohl(Wyoming) would be okee dokee with me for starters.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:16 pm

iversonfan14 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Is ND a top 5 college football job if you are a coach? I could see them being low top 10 perhaps, but other schools are spending a lot of money and aren't seemingly hamstrung by all the academic and moral standards that ND fans claim Kelly faces.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:00 am

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 pm
iversonfan14 wrote:
GoBirdsGo II wrote:

Honestly buddy, my biggest problem with him is much more in regards to how I feel about him as a person, not the coach.

But, who would I want? Well, Scott Frost(Nebraska) or Craig Bohl(Wyoming) would be okee dokee with me for starters.
You know Scott Frost isn’t leaving Nebraska. Even mentioning him shows the delusion of Notre Dame fans

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:00 am
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 pm
iversonfan14 wrote:

You know Scott Frost isn’t leaving Nebraska. Even mentioning him shows the delusion of Notre Dame fans
Reading is fundamental. Pretty obvious my reply to iverson is hypothetical. :dustin