Former Cyclone women's golfer murdered

For the civil discussion of college sports
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Former Cyclone women's golfer murdered

Post by squirrel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:19 am

Celia Barquin Arozamena of Spain, but a recent graduate of Iowa State was beaten and murdered at Coldwater Golf Links in Ames.

She won the 2018 European Ladies Amateur, and qualified for the US Women's Open, but missed the cut.

The Iowa State women's golf coach is Christie Martens, who has done an amazing job building that program in her 17 years. The fomer Christie Hermes, she was a standout at Sterling Newman and Northwestern. She was a freshman the same year I was at Newman, we didn't have enough for a full boys varsity team, so she and another girl were on the varsity boys team and she was by far the best golfer on our team.

What an awful story.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 343049002/
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Former Cyclone women's golfer murdered

Post by deejay » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Guy lived in a tent near the golf course, police knew him because of run ins. Sad sad. Not even safe to play a round of golf alone. I would like to know a little more, like did golfers know of him , perhaps thought he was harmless?
go cubs go!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:00 pm

deejay wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:09 pm
Guy lived in a tent near the golf course, police knew him because of run ins. Sad sad. Not even safe to play a round of golf alone. I would like to know a little more, like did golfers know of him , perhaps thought he was harmless?
Statistically I would imagine playing a round of golf alone is one of the safest things a person can do.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

MissouriValleyUnite
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Terribly sad story.

Not sure of any way to prevent this. Who could predict you could be murdered on a golf course?