I Don't Have A Warm Fuzzy Feeling II

For the civil discussion of college sports
GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

I Don't Have A Warm Fuzzy Feeling II

Post by GoBirdsGo II »

I'd like to think we(Notre Dame) got a shot against Georgia this week, but, dang, I see we're a 14 point underdog already. Yikes!! :(
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Re: I Don't Have A Warm Fuzzy Feeling II

Post by GoBirdsGo II »

PS .... I'd love to make the trek North for Michigan/Wisconsin. Only 3 hr. drive and can get a ticket on stub hub for 120-140, good seats too.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:53 pm
I'd like to think we(Notre Dame) got a shot against Georgia this week, but, dang, I see we're a 14 point underdog already. Yikes!! :(
You need someone to send you a ND hype video! Where is Iverson when you need him? :)
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II »

Finebaum: Georgia will punch Notre Dame's 'lights out'

iversonfan14
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by iversonfan14 »

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:59 pm
Finebaum is a troll, literally one of the worst people on ESPN. No clue who even listens to anything he says.

However I will be shocked if ND comes within 14. This is literally the worst possible matchup for the Irish. They struggle at LB and their DT’s are mediocre. I expect Georgia to run at will on them. Book has looked terrified all season and runs if there is any pressure. Guessing Georgia spies Book and limits the ND offense. Very rarely do I expect the Irish to get blown out...this is one of those times. Too many holes at LB and not enough playmakers on offense. Sure hope I’m wrong though.

Also spread is now down to -12.5 or -13.5 depending on where you look.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:03 pm
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
You need someone to send you a ND hype video! Where is Iverson when you need him? :)
There you are!
Peace, Love & Loud Guitars

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

illini25 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:16 am
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:03 pm
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
There you are!
Like the forums version of saying Bettlejuice. :)

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

iversonfan14 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:15 pm
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:59 pm
Finebaum is a troll, literally one of the worst people on ESPN. No clue who even listens to anything he says.
Why? Because he doesn't kiss the ND brass ring like so many other folks on that network?

iversonfan14

Post by iversonfan14 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:25 pm
[quote=iversonfan14 post_id=<a href="tel:1536181">1536181</a> time=<a href="tel:1568693732">1568693732</a> user_id=16713]
[quote="GoBirdsGo II" post_id=<a href="tel:1536174">1536174</a> time=<a href="tel:1568681968">1568681968</a> user_id=3829]
[/quote]

Why? Because he doesn't kiss the ND brass ring like so many other folks on that network?
[/quote]

And this is why I stay off this garbage message board anymore. People don’t know how to have a civilized conversation. It has zero to do with Notre Dame. He is notorious for being an All SEC guy and constant non stop praise of Alabama. He’s ripped several coaches for their on field antics yet at the same time praise Saban for his. Finebaum is strictly there to give hot takes and get people worked up to drive ratings.

In reference to Notre Dame before the season he said that the Irish shouldn’t be allowed back in the playoffs again because of their showing be Clemson. He failed to mention Bama getting beat worse by Clemson last year or teams like Ohio State that have been destroyed in the playoffs. Bad games happen. Then when it was brought up to him on Golic and Wingo he said he really didn’t mean that. Couldn’t even stand by what he said. He’s worse then Cowherd when it comes to talking sports yet not worse than some of the posters on here. Sorry I was just trying to provide a little bit of insight into Saturdays big game but I will see myself out now
Last edited by iversonfan14 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Honest question (and take your golden dome tinted glasses off for this one)...Whose shilling is worse? Finebaum for the SEC or the Golics for Notre Dame?

iversonfan14

Post by iversonfan14 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 pm
Honest question (and take your golden dome tinted glasses off for this one)...Whose shilling is worse? Finebaum for the SEC or the Golics for Notre Dame?
Finebaum is a troll that says hot takes and nonsense to drive ratings. The Golics are Notre Dame supporters and they don’t hide it. Give me the Golics all day. It’s not different than Desmond and Michigan or Pollack and Georgia

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Bettlejuice! :)

TheRoller
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by TheRoller »

iversonfan14 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Finebaum is a troll that says hot takes and nonsense to drive ratings. The Golics are Notre Dame supporters and they don’t hide it. Give me the Golics all day. It’s not different than Desmond and Michigan or Pollack and Georgia
The absolute worst is Van Pelt and his constant drooling over Maryland!!!!!! And don't even get me started on Greenberg and his breathless panting every time Northwestern makes a first down. :roll:

Honestly folks, ESPN is first and foremost a TV network. They are driven by ratings which determine how much $$$ they can get from advertisers. They are doing pretty well so apparently they are doing something right. Finebaum has always been an SEC guy, it's were he was before ESPN scooped him up. Of course he is going to lean that way. Putting him on screen makes Roll Tide nation happy and everyone else irate- which gets them to tune in and...........INCREASE RATINGS. The Golics make the Irish faithful feel good and riles up all those ND haters- which gets them to tune in and............wait for it.............INCREASE RATINGS. Nothing new or surprising going on.

On the original thought to this thread: ND is going into hostile territory and the Dawgs are freaking loaded this year. The only good thing is Georgia hasn't played a top quality opponent yet so there may be some questions marks. That said, all that talent and experience has to give UGA the edge. 35-10 final.
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.

iversonfan14

Post by iversonfan14 »

TheRoller wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:25 pm
iversonfan14 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
The absolute worst is Van Pelt and his constant drooling over Maryland!!!!!! And don't even get me started on Greenberg and his breathless panting every time Northwestern makes a first down. :roll:

Honestly folks, ESPN is first and foremost a TV network. They are driven by ratings which determine how much $$$ they can get from advertisers. They are doing pretty well so apparently they are doing something right. Finebaum has always been an SEC guy, it's were he was before ESPN scooped him up. Of course he is going to lean that way. Putting him on screen makes Roll Tide nation happy and everyone else irate- which gets them to tune in and...........INCREASE RATINGS. The Golics make the Irish faithful feel good and riles up all those ND haters- which gets them to tune in and............wait for it.............INCREASE RATINGS. Nothing new or surprising going on.

On the original thought to this thread: ND is going into hostile territory and the Dawgs are freaking loaded this year. The only good thing is Georgia hasn't played a top quality opponent yet so there may be some questions marks. That said, all that talent and experience has to give UGA the edge. 35-10 final.
I think that’s a likely score. I will go with something like 38-17. Notre Dame has the 2nd longest streak in the nation of giving up 30 pts or less in a game and I have a hard time seeing that last past Saturday.

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

ND held there own last night. They have a solid defense and Ian Book is the real deal. The way they played they are definitely not eliminated from the playoff but it is likely a long shot

I’m not sure that Georgia is as good this year as the last two offensively. They don’t seem to have as much talent and speed at WR.
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

iversonfan14

Post by iversonfan14 »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:57 am
ND held there own last night. They have a solid defense and Ian Book is the real deal. The way they played they are definitely not eliminated from the playoff but it is likely a long shot

I’m not sure that Georgia is as good this year as the last two offensively. They don’t seem to have as much talent and speed at WR.
I agree with all this. Now the one thing with the Irish I they were down their top RB and #2 WR. I say that not to make an excuse for the loss but instead to say that the offense should improve when they get those guys back. The thing that really caught up with the Irish in the 2nd half was that they were one dimensional since they couldn’t run the ball.

Like you said about Georgia, they lost their top 5 WRs from last year. Pickens is going to be an absolute stud for them. I’m very surprised that Cal transfer Demetris Robertson hasn’t been better for Georgia. Fromm made a lot of big throws last night. I’m not sold on Smart as a coach. Their Jimmy’s and Joes are much better than the Irish. I am curious how good their D Line is this year because the Irish OLine didn’t look good the first 2 games but seemed to shut down Georgia’s pass rush. Plenty of season to play to find how good these teams really are. Still feel like Notre Dame is around the 7th-12th best team in the nation

TheRoller

Post by TheRoller »

I don't believe a one loss ND is out of playoff contention. Obviously it depends on how things play out. What WILL hurt is the fact Michigan and Stanford do not appear to be living up to expectations which will lower the Irish strength of schedule.

Just for fun picture this: Georgia finally gets over the hump and beats Bama in the SEC championship. Clemson and Oklahoma get through unscathed giving us 3 unbeaten Power 5 champions. The fourth playoff slot comes down to a choice between Bama and ND who would both have their only loss to the same Georgia team, a one loss Ohio State who wins the Big 10 and (just for fun) lets say a one loss Oregon or Cal from the Pac-12. (Sorry CFU fans, you lost to Pitt!!!!!!)

Let the debate rage

iversonfan14

Post by iversonfan14 »

TheRoller wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:06 pm
I don't believe a one loss ND is out of playoff contention. Obviously it depends on how things play out. What WILL hurt is the fact Michigan and Stanford do not appear to be living up to expectations which will lower the Irish strength of schedule.

Just for fun picture this: Georgia finally gets over the hump and beats Bama in the SEC championship. Clemson and Oklahoma get through unscathed giving us 3 unbeaten Power 5 champions. The fourth playoff slot comes down to a choice between Bama and ND who would both have their only loss to the same Georgia team, a one loss Ohio State who wins the Big 10 and (just for fun) lets say a one loss Oregon or Cal from the Pac-12. (Sorry CFU fans, you lost to Pitt!!!!!!)

Let the debate rage
I can tell you right now that ND is out. Even if Virginia, USC, Michigan and Louisville Or BC are ranked at the end of the year, people will definitely take last year and 2012 into consideration.

Like I said though, I will be surprised if they go 11-1. I’m just hoping for a BCS bowl game and the Irish finally winning it for once

The one chance the Irish would have to get in the playoffs is if they get back Jafar Armstrong (RB1) before the Michigan game and the offense just dominates the rest of the season and looks like a whole different team. Their offense this season was supposed to be run through Jafar and TE Cole Kmet (first game back was against Georgia) so that would be their one opportunity

TheRoller

Post by TheRoller »

Irish chances at making the CFP took a hit with UGA losing AT HOME to unranked, 3 loss South Carolina. As it stands at the moment the Dawgs and Wolverines are the only two ranked opponents on ND's schedule. They can ill afford to see Georgia lose any more and probably need them to at least make the SEC championship and make a solid showing. Michigan,while still in the top 20, has not looked like one of the best teams in the country and still has to face Penn Rape, Ohio St and ND who will all be favored to beat Big Blue. Throw in the always tricky Mich. St rivalry game and it's entirely possible UM will have 4 or 5 losses and be an after thought by the time the committee has to chose the 4 invitees. If Georgia loses to Florida and doesn't make it to Atlanta and Michigan loses to psu, OSU and ND the Irish will need a lot of help in the form of others losing.

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II »

Notre Dame is out of the playoffs. We're looking down the barrel of a nice bowl game though.

I can't stand Kelly but he's putting together a nice recruiting class for '20.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:50 pm
Notre Dame is out of the playoffs. We're looking down the barrel of a nice bowl game though.

Kelly has done a great job of winning at Notre Dame, being in the top 4 every season is an unreal expectation. I think if they can get in it once every 5 seasons it would be a success considering the academic standards.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

real fan wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:49 pm
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Kelly has done a great job of winning at Notre Dame, being in the top 4 every season is an unreal expectation. I think if they can get in it once every 5 seasons it would be a success considering the academic standards.
Why has Notre Dame's Academic Progress Rating (APR) for football ranked in the 70s the past few seasons if they are only getting the best student athletes? Keep in mind Northwestern is in the top 5 along with Air Force, Duke, Vanderbilt, and Navy. Also, ND trails supposed football factories like Clemson, Alabama, and many SEC, B1G, Pac 12, and Big 12 schools.

iversonfan14

Post by iversonfan14 »

I’m not going to act like I know everything about APR and how it’s factored but I believe it has to do with academic standing. I know the past 5 years ND has had a lot of issues with Florida kids. The past couple years they have removed their recruiting focus on Florida for this very reason and moved their focus to Georgia. As someone that follows recruiting very closely I can tell you that they unfortunately have a lot of kids that they don’t take because of admissions that other schools do. A lot goes into the admissions process at ND. USC RB Markeese Stepp was committed to ND 2 years ago but they had to drop his commitment because he didn’t meet the academic requirements at ND. He then goes to USC and had a big game vs the Irish a week ago.

I know admissions did make an exception for DB Noah Boykin a year ago. He went to a high school that typically didn’t have great academics but he himself was very good at the school academically. Admissions allowed him to come in if he took a redshirt his freshman year so that he could get acclimated to school. Unfortunately after that year he had to transfer because he was struggling academically at ND.

Outside of Boykin I can’t think of any other recent situations with them taking guys that they typically wouldn’t.

I know a couple years ago several players got in trouble and that affected their standing at Notre Dame but there were no issues/red flags prior to coming to ND.

There’s a difference between schools getting guys into a school that they don’t qualify for and pushing them through by taking basket weaving and schools that have strict academic requirements that some kids struggle with.

As for the football team this year, I have been pleasantly surprised. They have the longest active streak of most games in a row of giving up 30 points or less in a game. The one big problem with the Irish this year is lack of big time playmakers on offense. Fortunately the next two recruiting classes are loaded with those. As I said at the beginning of the season the Irish are somewhere between the 8th and 14th best team in the nation. Next year should be an even more talented team than this year. Can’t wait to go see the Irish play Clemson in South Bend.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Michigan stomping the crap out of notre dame so far. Brian Kelly looks befuddled.

Playoff team? Only if they’re letting 32 in.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Michigan by 31 over nd.
:lol: