Illini Football

For the civil discussion of college sports
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Illini Football

Post by deejay »

My son and I went to the Illinois/Nebraska game yesterday. Must have been 20,000 Nebraska fans. Illini competed, but they are far from being a B10 quality team. Start with the qb. I can see why he was not good enough for Michigan. He amassed a total of 78 yards passing against a Nebraska defense that has given up big yardage all season. Their offense consisted of 2 runs, a pass and a punt much like Lovies offense for the Bears. Huskers had over 700 yards of total offense while we couldn’t get to 300 and that is for the entire game. Illini defense spend most of their time in the field and were gassed. After a promising start, they have lost games that could have been won. Illini fans are finicky. Better start winning these games or fans will stay away again.
go cubs go!

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Illini Football

Post by MissouriValleyUnite »

Me too! Actually impressed how good a crowd Illinois had. Student section overflowed.

Lovie can coach but his choices for his defensive staff might be fatal. His son is arguably the weakest - or least qualified - LB coach in the country. Lovie’s defensive staff pickings are baffling when you consider this is a do or die year.

Uncle Junior
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Uncle Junior »

Give Lovie another extension b*******!!! Sure you right... How you like Lovie now? Oh Ya!
:td
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Smith is under contract through 2023. That is plenty. Despite yesterday's win, I still expect a bowl game this season or gone. While a great win, no one should forget they were 30+ pt underdogs. Until Illinois isn't such a large underdog against anyone, the comeback isn't complete and no coach should be safe.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:36 am
Smith is under contract through 2023. That is plenty. Despite yesterday's win, I still expect a bowl game this season or gone. While a great win, no one should forget they were 30+ pt underdogs. Until Illinois isn't such a large underdog against anyone, the comeback isn't complete and no coach should be safe.
They have been competitive this season and he has been recruiting very well so another change is not needed yet, expect next season to be even better with a bowl game . Beckman pretty much set this program back 5 years.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Real Fan, I’ve been as supportive of Lovie as anyone. Having said that, he’s been DC since Nickerson left. The defense has been atrocious. The rushing yards put up by opponents have been mind boggling. Team needs to win at least 3 of 5 remaining games to show progress.

Hiring Miles as LB coach sped up the clock for me.
Peace, Love & Loud Guitars

PH
All World
All World

Post by PH »

In addition to Lovie’s $4m, the assistants are guaranteed an additional $2.5m in 2020:
https://www.si.com/college/illinois/foo ... teresting/

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

illini25 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:20 am
Real Fan, I’ve been as supportive of Lovie as anyone. Having said that, he’s been DC since Nickerson left. The defense has been atrocious. The rushing yards put up by opponents have been mind boggling. Team needs to win at least 3 of 5 remaining games to show progress.

Hiring Miles as LB coach sped up the clock for me.
Two of his best defensive players have not played this season, give him next season to prove he can turn this into a good program.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Donny Navarro earns full scholarship!

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Illini received a vote in new AP 25 poll.

:king

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II »

illini25 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:54 pm
Illini received a vote in new AP 25 poll.

:king
Safe to say after getting hammered by lowly Northwestern, at home, they won't be getting any votes.

Tough day Illini sports. Illini Volleyball losing to Northwestern likely knocked them out of the NCAA Tournament.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

While nothing will be made official til Sunday, it appears that the Illini will be headed to the Redbox Bowl in Santa Clara, CA:

They previously played in this bowl back in 2011 when it was then known as the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. The Illini defeated UCLA 20-14 in the game with Vic Koenning was the interim coach for the game after Zook was fired following the end of the regular season.

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

:| Respectable outcome I suppose with some key injuries. They will return 16 starters.

SEC refs are having a brutal bowl season.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

tombs14 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:06 pm
:| Respectable outcome I suppose with some key injuries. They will return 16 starters.
And the announcers were talking like they could be next season's Minnesota. Their 3 non-con games, all at home, are ISU, UConn, and Bowling Green. They then open the Big Ten schedule at Rutgers and Nebraska before home games vs. Purdue and Minnesota.

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

Illinois is already in on (Scholarship offer) to the NFL 100 years Commercial kid.