TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

For the civil discussion of college sports
User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:55 pm

guerinfbfan wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:
guerinfbfan wrote:Kinda off topic, but could Belmont go A-10 for hoops?
I don't see the A-10 wanting Belmont, really. Geographic outlier, too small.
Aren't they bigger than Davidson? Just curious?
Yeah, although Davidson is small for the A-10, but Belmont is bigger I think. But Davidson didn't have the geography problem.

Also, the A-10 is kinda full right now
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 29275
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by squirrel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Horizon League may go to 12 and add Belmont and Murray State. Belmont is already an affiliate member for soccer. Throw in NKU and that would be a heckuva package. But Murray State would still have the pesky business of finding a home for their football team, as I imagine the OVC would probably not let them stick around out of spite. JMO, of course.

http://www.theguardianonline.com/sports ... l-changes/
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:59 pm

squirrel wrote:Horizon League may go to 12 and add Belmont and Murray State. Belmont is already an affiliate member for soccer. Throw in NKU and that would be a heckuva package. But Murray State would still have the pesky business of finding a home for their football team, as I imagine the OVC would probably not let them stick around out of spite. JMO, of course.

http://www.theguardianonline.com/sports ... l-changes/
Does Murray really care about football? I wonder if going non-scholly just might be the move.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:02 pm

In an unrelated note, I ran across the following:

New Mexico St's SoS this year stands at 223.
New Mexico St's non-con SoS was 36.

If New Mexico State had just played a WAC schedule this year, their SoS would've been 3rd easiest in the country.

Now, if you're a SWAC team, you don't care about these types of numbers. If you're a legitimate business basketball program like NMSU, though, these numbers are untenable. Completely untenable.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 29275
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by squirrel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:12 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:In an unrelated note, I ran across the following:

New Mexico St's SoS this year stands at 223.
New Mexico St's non-con SoS was 36.

If New Mexico State had just played a WAC schedule this year, their SoS would've been 3rd easiest in the country.

Now, if you're a SWAC team, you don't care about these types of numbers. If you're a legitimate business basketball program like NMSU, though, these numbers are untenable. Completely untenable.
They need GC, KC and Utah Valley to get good quick. But that gets tought when NMSU figures to dominate pretty much forever.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:18 pm

squirrel wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:In an unrelated note, I ran across the following:

New Mexico St's SoS this year stands at 223.
New Mexico St's non-con SoS was 36.

If New Mexico State had just played a WAC schedule this year, their SoS would've been 3rd easiest in the country.

Now, if you're a SWAC team, you don't care about these types of numbers. If you're a legitimate business basketball program like NMSU, though, these numbers are untenable. Completely untenable.
They need GC, KC and Utah Valley to get good quick. But that gets tought when NMSU figures to dominate pretty much forever.
GC's gonna spend, but I don't see anyone in that conference that I trust to get better otherwise, and UMKC I'm betting is halfway towards returning to the Summit anyways.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 29275
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by squirrel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:23 pm

Utah Valley has money and the state is sustaining a population boom and figures to be among the top 10-15 in population by 2030--it is 33rd currently.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 12970
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:23 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
squirrel wrote:Horizon League may go to 12 and add Belmont and Murray State. Belmont is already an affiliate member for soccer. Throw in NKU and that would be a heckuva package. But Murray State would still have the pesky business of finding a home for their football team, as I imagine the OVC would probably not let them stick around out of spite. JMO, of course.

http://www.theguardianonline.com/sports ... l-changes/
Does Murray really care about football? I wonder if going non-scholly just might be the move.
Murray State is definitely more of a basketball school than a football school. The last time their football team even clinched a share of the OVC title was back in 2002.

It'd be tough for Murray State to leave the OVC though considering they, Morehead State, and Eastern Kentucky were all charter members when the conference began back in 1948.

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:21 am

squirrel wrote:Utah Valley has money and the state is sustaining a population boom and figures to be among the top 10-15 in population by 2030--it is 33rd currently.
Yeah, given how boring Utah-ans are, I'd be spending all my free time procreating too :lol:
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:Murray State is definitely more of a basketball school than a football school. The last time their football team even clinched a share of the OVC title was back in 2002.

It'd be tough for Murray State to leave the OVC though considering they, Morehead State, and Eastern Kentucky were all charter members when the conference began back in 1948.
Leads me to think the Horizon might not be special enough for them. MVC? I dunno.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:53 am

http://www.theguardianonline.com/sports ... 10th-team/

Expansion in the Horizon is happening, and soon. It's just a matter of who and 10 vs. 12.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:19 pm

We're a month away from being all clear from pending conference moves:

Northern Kentucky to the Horizon next month, and it seems like they're sitting at 10 teams instead of going for 12;
UAB should hold onto their spot in CUSA;
Navy's move to the Big East is official next month (I still can't believe this is a thing that's happening);

the only loose end in D1 right now is the Atlantic Sun, down to 7 members. They need to do something at some point, but it's likely to be a D2 callup at this point. And they theoretically can stay at 7, if they can keep them all.

So for the first time since the Big 10's announcement in 2009, we will have no pending realignment moves on the chess board, starting next month. All the pieces have been played.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Welp. NJIT to the A-Sun.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... un-friday/

Two of the remaining mysteries in D1 solved:

1) The A-Sun getting back to 8 members
2) The last D1 independent finding a home

In the long strange road trip that's been college realignment, we've just pulled off the highway onto the familiar local road....we're almost home, 6 years later :lol:
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:20 am

UT-Pan American has changed its name to UT-Rio Grande Valley.

And with that, the last aftershock from 2009 has occurred.

It's July 1, so the Navy move, Northern Kentucky move, and a couple others are official.

For the first time since the Big 10 announced they were expanding in 2009, there are no pending realignment moves. The last domino has fallen.

Thread over. :lol:
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 29275
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by squirrel » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:33 pm

Not so fast...rumblings about the Big 12 adding...

And UTRGV just rolls of the tongue.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:47 pm

squirrel wrote:Not so fast...rumblings about the Big 12 adding...

And UTRGV just rolls of the tongue.
They've been rumbling like that for years though. Doesn't count ;)
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

Leatherneck
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:41 am

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by Leatherneck » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:32 am

[quote="squirrel"]Not so fast...rumblings about the Big 12 adding...

And UTRGV just rolls of the tongue.[/quote]

Last month a Nashville radio host claimed that he had inside information that the B12 was looking into adding Cincy and Memphis (link below):

http://www.espn929.com/johnmartin/Nashv ... 2/20457311

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 12970
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Sun Belt has identified Coastal Carolina and Eastern Kentucky as possible 12th teams for football to add to the conference as they look to hold a conference championship game as early as 2016: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /71322494/

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:46 pm

No way that's happening. We retired conference realignment and put it to bed. All the dominoes are toppled ov-

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /71494020/

welp
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 12970
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:05 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:No way that's happening. We retired conference realignment and put it to bed. All the dominoes are toppled ov-

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /71494020/

welp
So who replaces the Chanticleers in the Big South?

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:No way that's happening. We retired conference realignment and put it to bed. All the dominoes are toppled ov-

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /71494020/

welp
So who replaces the Chanticleers in the Big South?
Nah. This merely takes them from 11 to 10 in basketball, and 7 to 6 in football. For football, they've been turned into a skeleton of a conference either way.

They'll hold, which is good for the A-Sun, who's still teetering on the brink.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 12970
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:27 pm

I see. If EKU had been the one to leave, would that have opened the door for NKU to join the OVC?

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:47 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:I see. If EKU had been the one to leave, would that have opened the door for NKU to join the OVC?
NKU's in the Horizon now, so no.

I actually have no idea what'd the OVC would do. Maybe that's North Alabama's spot.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:16 am

That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 29275
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by squirrel » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Interesting.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8144
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:42 pm

That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests