For the civil discussion of college sports
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Illinois ranked #24 in AP Poll

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings?poll=1

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/2

Coming off of their victory over Arizona State this past weekend, the Illini football team is ranked #24 in this week's AP Poll, released today. The Illini are unranked in the coaches poll but have the second most points among others receiving votes, behind only Ohio State. Michigan State, Ohio State, Auburn, Arizona State, and Mississippi State all fell out of the AP poll this week. Of the teams just mentioned, Michigan State was the only one NOT to fall out of the coaches poll.
buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Illinois ranked #24 in AP Poll

Post by buddyholly »

It is great to see Michigan ranked and Ohio State not.
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

buddyholly wrote:It is great to see Michigan ranked and Ohio State not.

Problem is, I don't think Michigan deserves to be ranked. I would've rather seen it after winning what I think will be a very tough game on Saturday against San Diego St.
"The Pack Leader"
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

They have a great qb in Robinson and deserve the ranking just for beating the Irish!
go cubs go!
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

The Illini don't deserve to be ranked yet. However with all the mediocre teams this year, I guess a win over a lower ranked team at home gets you ranked.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32
buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

salz4life wrote:
buddyholly wrote:It is great to see Michigan ranked and Ohio State not.

Problem is, I don't think Michigan deserves to be ranked. I would've rather seen it after winning what I think will be a very tough game on Saturday against San Diego St.
After the last few years of Michigan football I'll take whatever I can
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:The Illini don't deserve to be ranked yet. However with all the mediocre teams this year, I guess a win over a lower ranked team at home gets you ranked.
You're right. 2 blowouts and a win over a ranked opponent. They don't deserve it.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

squirrel wrote:
Redbird CC Fan wrote:The Illini don't deserve to be ranked yet. However with all the mediocre teams this year, I guess a win over a lower ranked team at home gets you ranked.
You're right. 2 blowouts and a win over a ranked opponent. They don't deserve it.
I don't think teams should be ranked until after the first month of the season. Too many teams in the preseason top 25 don't deserve to be ranked. Many times what seems an upset or quality win is not so much after a team has been exposed. Were the two blowout wins Illinois has over D-1 teams? Blowout wins over S-Dakatoa state and Arkansas State mean nothing when ranking Illinois.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

CIS wrote:
squirrel wrote:
I don't think teams should be ranked until after the first month of the season. Too many teams in the preseason top 25 don't deserve to be ranked. Many times what seems an upset or quality win is not so much after a team has been exposed. Were the two blowout wins Illinois has over D-1 teams? Blowout wins over S-Dakatoa state and Arkansas State mean nothing when ranking Illinois.
I don't disagree...polls are only a popularity contest. Illinois is a school that usually has to wait longer and do a little more before they are. And yes, both SDSU and Arkansas State are DI schools. (SDSU is FCS, which is part of DI) The fact that they won those games big while a number of schools struggled the in at least one of the first couple weeks makes them more deserving.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

squirrel wrote:
I am an Illinois fan so I am not hating or anything, I just haven't seen enough of them against quality competition to say they are one of the Top 25 teams in the country just yet.

An 18 point win at home against Arkansas State isn't what I would call impressive, it was an OK win with a similar score to Arkansas State and Virginia Tech. Not an impressive win, but a good win.

South Dakota State just lost to Cal Poly 48-14 so that Illinois' 56-3 win isn't that impressive.

Winning by 3 against at home against an Arizona State team that had only been ranked for 1 week is a good win, but they did not play particularly well in that win. If they had played better particularly offensively, then I would feel they would be deserving of being ranked. I must not be too far off in my assessment as they are not ranked in USA Today's poll.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

Illinois should win the next 3 games as well. I'll be curious to see where they are if they get to 6-0 ahead of tOSU.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
squirrel wrote:
I am an Illinois fan so I am not hating or anything, I just haven't seen enough of them against quality competition to say they are one of the Top 25 teams in the country just yet.

An 18 point win at home against Arkansas State isn't what I would call impressive, it was an OK win with a similar score to Arkansas State and Virginia Tech. Not an impressive win, but a good win.

South Dakota State just lost to Cal Poly 48-14 so that Illinois' 56-3 win isn't that impressive.

Winning by 3 against at home against an Arizona State team that had only been ranked for 1 week is a good win, but they did not play particularly well in that win. If they had played better particularly offensively, then I would feel they would be deserving of being ranked. I must not be too far off in my assessment as they are not ranked in USA Today's poll.
I think you could say the same thing for several ranked teams.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

I am shocked that they went from not receiving votes to #24. I thought the voters would have interpreted last night more as a case of Arizona State not being as good as advertised (seems a common occurrence in Tempe) than the Illini being a worthy team.

Am I the only Illini fan who is a tad worried about Saturday's game? This seems to be the perfect setup to have the Illini have one of those games of 10+ penalties and four or five turnovers. Hope I am wrong about that but as an Illini fan I have been conditioned to expect the other shoe to drop sooner rather than later.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

Reggie wrote:I am shocked that they went from not receiving votes to #24. I thought the voters would have interpreted last night more as a case of Arizona State not being as good as advertised (seems a common occurrence in Tempe) than the Illini being a worthy team.

Am I the only Illini fan who is a tad worried about Saturday's game? This seems to be the perfect setup to have the Illini have one of those games of 10+ penalties and four or five turnovers. Hope I am wrong about that but as an Illini fan I have been conditioned to expect the other shoe to drop sooner rather than later.
It's definitly a trap game.
"The Pack Leader"
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

Reggie wrote:I am shocked that they went from not receiving votes to #24. I thought the voters would have interpreted last night more as a case of Arizona State not being as good as advertised (seems a common occurrence in Tempe) than the Illini being a worthy team.

I understand what you're thinking. If Illinois can get past the Broncos, I think they'll likely win the next two as well.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Michelle Obama criticized Trump for utilizing cages that were built and used by ... Barrack Obama. You seriously can’t make this stuff up. . :lol:

It’s Barrack, not Barack. He built detention barracks so he should be called barrack.
buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

I don't see this as a great win for Illinois. Arizona State just isn't that good and haven't been the last three years. 5-7 in 2008, 4-8 in 2009, and 6-6 last year. They are playing with their backup QB because the starter Threet quit do to having too many concussions, plus at least two of their best defensive players are out for the season with injuries.
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

buddyholly wrote:I don't see this as a great win for Illinois. Arizona State just isn't that good and haven't been the last three years. 5-7 in 2008, 4-8 in 2009, and 6-6 last year. They are playing with their backup QB because the starter Threet quit do to having too many concussions, plus at least two of their best defensive players are out for the season with injuries.
I didn't see anyone refer to it as a great win.

For what it's worth, ASU was picked to finish second in their division of the Pac 12. As far as the QB goes, it isn't like they just found out 3 weeks ago that Threet wouldn't be playing, and the Osweiler kid was good enough to put up some big numbers against Mizzou (3 TDs 0 INTs and 353 yards). Missouri was ranked when ASU beat them and now Illinois is ranked after beating ASU. I'm of the opinion that rankings inside of the first 4 games are worthless, but since the AP and ESPN don't agree, someone has to fill the 25 slots and right now it's Illinois' turn to fill one of them.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com