Illini 4-0 for first time since 1951

For the civil discussion of college sports
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Illini 4-0 for first time since 1951

Post by squirrel »

Great start for the Illini. 60 long years. Hopefully I see more history next week against Northwestern.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Illini 4-0 for first time since 1951

Post by CIS »

1951 Illinois First Four Games (with 1951 record)

UCLA (5-3-1)
Wisconsin (7-1-1)
Syracuse (5-4-0)
Indiana (2-7-0)

That's a pretty stiff opening four games with exception of Indiana. Who was Illinois first four games against this year? :dustin
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

CIS wrote:1951 Illinois First Four Games (with 1951 record)

UCLA (5-3-1)
Wisconsin (7-1-1)
Syracuse (5-4-0)
Indiana (2-7-0)

That's a pretty stiff opening four games with exception of Indiana. Who was Illinois first four games against this year? :dustin
Richwoods
Pekin
Arizona State (ranked at the time)
Joliet Catholic
Michelle Obama criticized Trump for utilizing cages that were built and used by ... Barrack Obama. You seriously can’t make this stuff up. . :lol:

It’s Barrack, not Barack. He built detention barracks so he should be called barrack.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

illini25 wrote:

UCLA (5-3-1)
Wisconsin (7-1-1)
Syracuse (5-4-0)
Indiana (2-7-0)

Richwoods
Pekin
Joliet Catholic
Well Joliet Catholic and Arizona State were pretty tough foes :D
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Still in the 1st quarter but ... Arizona State 7 USC 0

ASU got a 70 yard TD run on first possession and has forced a USC punt.
Michelle Obama criticized Trump for utilizing cages that were built and used by ... Barrack Obama. You seriously can’t make this stuff up. . :lol:

It’s Barrack, not Barack. He built detention barracks so he should be called barrack.
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

CIS wrote:
illini25 wrote:

UCLA (5-3-1)
Wisconsin (7-1-1)
Syracuse (5-4-0)
Indiana (2-7-0)

Richwoods
Pekin
Joliet Catholic
Well Joliet Catholic and Arizona State were pretty tough foes :D
And Richwoods, Pekin, and Arizona State are still complaining about Joliet Catholic's recruiting practices. :twisted:
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

ASU 43 USC 22

Makes the Illini win over ASU look a little better.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

illini25 wrote:ASU 43 USC 22

Unfortunately, it doesn't make ekking out a win over Western Michigan (who lost 34-10 to Michigan to open the season) look any better. This 4-0 start is more related to having a weaker schedule with a ton of home games than it is related to this Illini team being that good at this point.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't make ekking out a win over Western Michigan (who lost 34-10 to Michigan to open the season) look any better. This 4-0 start is more related to having a weaker schedule with a ton of home games than it is related to this Illini team being that good at this point.
We have the playaz and we have the playa haters.

dbird
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by dbird »

USC is no good this year. Barely scraped by an awful Minnesota team at home this year. I agree, the win over Arizona St win was a nice win, but the strength of the win has nothing to do with ASU beating a mediocre USC team last night
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

4-0 is 4-0. I choose to enjoy it. How many times has Illinois had comparable or lesser schedules and not been 4-0? Probably quite a few. Who gives a flip about "how" they got there? Of course it doesn't mean anything unless they build from it.

USC hasn't been great either, but some teams will still buckle to the mystique.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Well 4-0 is still 4-0 not matter how you get there. Now that it is the Big Ten season, they need to be concerned about special teams, with the exception of Dimke. They have put their punting into the hands of a freshman. Then they need to get someone to receive kickoff or punts that can be trusted. Neither of these special teams have been too reliable. Defense and offense are decent enough to help win most games this year. The schedule sure favors the Illini!
go cubs go!
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

illini25 wrote:
Redbird CC Fan wrote:

We have the playaz and we have the playa haters.
Illini, I enjoy your posting but have a question. Why is it "hating" if you question the strength of Illinois schedule? I hope they do well and have no ill feelings towards Illinois. I am just now all that overwhelmed with what they have done thus far. Yes, ASU was a nice win at home. But am I suppose to be excited that you beat three mediocre opponents like Arkansas State, SD state and Western Michigan? None of those three play in a big time conferernce and none of those three are exactly very good teams - SD State lost to Illinois State last night! So I am happy to see Illinois 4=0 but do I have to be all giddy about it? Does that make me a HATER? Just asking...
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

CIS, I'm just having some fun and it's really more about years (and years) of Illini basketball scheduling discussion than about the current football schedule. I have no idea how many lengthy threads we had on here about Illini basketball scheduling. Oh how I miss the talk of popcorn sales, etc. Most of those posters aren't around here much more but I wish we could bring them back for another "I don't really care but Illini should schedule XYZ" thread. :lol:

Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

I for one am very happy with the 4-0 start. With conference games at Penn State, and against ranked teams like Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin, I'm content with just one BCS level non-conference game. As soon as the Illini become conference championship contenders, I'll expect more juice from the September schedule. With the 4-0 start, the Illini have a real good shot at an 8-4 regular season.

For what it's worth, the Illini play both Cincinnati and Washington in 2013.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

illini25 wrote:CIS, I'm just having some fun and it's really more about years (and years) of Illini basketball scheduling discussion than about the current football schedule. I have no idea how many lengthy threads we had on here about Illini basketball scheduling. Oh how I miss the talk of popcorn sales, etc. Most of those posters aren't around here much more but I wish we could bring them back for another "I don't really care but Illini should schedule XYZ" thread. :lol:
Well alrighty!! :o For the record, I AM glad the Illini are 4-0 too....
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

And I really miss the multiple page BBfan'77, Wholinson, et al Fighting Illini basketball scheduling threads. I even miss the multiple page ISU-EIU scheduling thread from a couple years ago. :lol:

Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

illini25 wrote:And I really miss the multiple page BBfan'77, Wholinson, et al Fighting Illini basketball scheduling threads. I even miss the multiple page ISU-EIU scheduling thread from a couple years ago. :lol:
That was a fun one.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

For the record, I am not a hater but an alumni. I wouldn't have given them several years and many thousands of dollars of my own hard earned money if I was a hater.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Beanie wrote:
illini25 wrote:And I really miss the multiple page BBfan'77, Wholinson, et al Fighting Illini basketball scheduling threads. I even miss the multiple page ISU-EIU scheduling thread from a couple years ago. :lol:
That was a fun one.
It was always fun to see BB'77 taking on the world when it came to defending MVC and other such conferences getting more entries into the NCAA...
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

CIS wrote:
Beanie wrote:
That was a fun one.
It was always fun to see BB'77 taking on the world when it came to defending MVC and other such conferences getting more entries into the NCAA...
Yes. But the ISU-EIU thread was BB trying to say that ISU scheduled EIU so they were much more agreeable to scheduling "lesser" in states than the Illini. I did lots of research to show how many times ISU played EIU while they were IN THE SAME CONFERENCE, both NON-D1, ISU DI while EIU not and then finally when both were D1 (including how many times at Lantz Gym). It was a very, very fun thread.

The fact that the majority of games were played while they were in the same conference (and not even D1) seem to not get through to some posters. :lol: