Illini Top 20 in both polls

For the civil discussion of college sports
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Illini Top 20 in both polls

Post by illini25 »

Michelle Obama criticized Trump for utilizing cages that were built and used by ... Barrack Obama. You seriously can’t make this stuff up. . :lol:

It’s Barrack, not Barack. He built detention barracks so he should be called barrack.
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Illini Top 20 in both polls

Post by soccerforever »

I think that is exactly where they should be listed at this point of the year. The schedule may not of been a killer schedule but they are undefeated.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Just picked another similarly ranked team and looked at their schedule. Here it is ...

Appalachian State W (App State's record is 3-2 with wins vs NC A&T, Savannah State, Chattanooga)
at East Carolina W (ECU is 1-3)
Arkansas State W (ArkState is 3-2 with wins vs Memphis, Central Arkansas, Western Kentucky)
at Marshall W (Marshall is 2-3)
Clemson L
Michelle Obama criticized Trump for utilizing cages that were built and used by ... Barrack Obama. You seriously can’t make this stuff up. . :lol:

It’s Barrack, not Barack. He built detention barracks so he should be called barrack.
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

The fact of the matter is, very few teams play what most would consider a strong non-conference schedule. It's usually a cupcake or two, a decent "middle tier" (like a MAC or WAC/Mountain West (not named TCU or Boise St.) team and then if possible a BCS level team. Sometimes the BCS level team isn't available and in the case of Michigan.... they are locked into Notre Dame so they will usually not play another BCS level team unless it is Vanderbilt or another usual cellar dweller. Alabama next year is an exception for Michigan. Some teams (LSU immediately comes to mind) schedule strong as often as possible. It's easy to do that when you literally reload every year. The way the BCS is set up, it really doesn't make sense to schedule up. The key is to not schedule down too much (i.e. Wisconsin).
"The Pack Leader"
buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

Wow, Michigan up to 12 and 11 in the other poll. I think Michigan has a good chance at beating everyone on their schedule. I haven't been to impressed with any team in the Big Ten yet this year except Wisconsin and they don't play them. Michigan has a good chance at a special season, should beat Northwestern next week and then if they can get past Michigan St you just never know. I'm just hoping they don't fall apart in the second half of their schedule again.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

They finally have them an outstanding coach to go with their exciting qb. Nice to see Big Blue back!
go cubs go!
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

buddyholly wrote:Wow, Michigan up to 12 and 11 in the other poll. I think Michigan has a good chance at beating everyone on their schedule. I haven't been to impressed with any team in the Big Ten yet this year except Wisconsin and they don't play them. Michigan has a good chance at a special season, should beat Northwestern next week and then if they can get past Michigan St you just never know. I'm just hoping they don't fall apart in the second half of their schedule again.

I think all the games are winnable, but I don't think their are any guaranteed wins. After Wisconsin, the Big Ten is wide open IMO. Next Saturday will be like a "progress report" day for Michigan. 1st road game of the year against a solid team. If Persa plays, we will definitely see how improved the defense is. The offense needs to put up points as I think they will.
"The Pack Leader"
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

deejay wrote:They finally have them an outstanding coach to go with their exciting qb. Nice to see Big Blue back!

I will admit, I originally wanted Jim Harbaugh. But, when Brady Hoke was announced, I was happy as well. The guy ABSOLUTELY wanted to be in Ann Arbor. He has surrounded himself with quality assistants (I'm absolutely ecstatic with what Mattison has done with the defense and I think Borges is doing well on the offensive side of the ball) and from what I have read, the kids love him.

I don't want to get this off the topic of the Illini (sorry guys).... I've been VERY impressed with Scheelhaase and Jenkins. I think Jenkins could be one of the Top 5 WRs in the country at this point. Scheelhaase could be the best QB in the Big Ten, to be honest. I wasn't impressed with Cousins at all against OSU. Obviously, I know all about Shoelace, but he is still not a good passer. Scheelhaase isn't as fast as Denard, but when you couple the speed he has with his passing, he's very good. He makes some mistakes, but he's only a RS (I think) Sophomore.
"The Pack Leader"
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

buddyholly wrote:Wow, Michigan up to 12 and 11 in the other poll. I think Michigan has a good chance at beating everyone on their schedule. I haven't been to impressed with any team in the Big Ten yet this year except Wisconsin and they don't play them. Michigan has a good chance at a special season, should beat Northwestern next week and then if they can get past Michigan St you just never know. I'm just hoping they don't fall apart in the second half of their schedule again.
It should be a fun game in Champaign.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

salz4life wrote:
deejay wrote:They finally have them an outstanding coach to go with their exciting qb. Nice to see Big Blue back!

I will admit, I originally wanted Jim Harbaugh. But, when Brady Hoke was announced, I was happy as well. The guy ABSOLUTELY wanted to be in Ann Arbor. He has surrounded himself with quality assistants (I'm absolutely ecstatic with what Mattison has done with the defense and I think Borges is doing well on the offensive side of the ball) and from what I have read, the kids love him.

I don't want to get this off the topic of the Illini (sorry guys).... I've been VERY impressed with Scheelhaase and Jenkins. I think Jenkins could be one of the Top 5 WRs in the country at this point. Scheelhaase could be the best QB in the Big Ten, to be honest. I wasn't impressed with Cousins at all against OSU. Obviously, I know all about Shoelace, but he is still not a good passer. Scheelhaase isn't as fast as Denard, but when you couple the speed he has with his passing, he's very good. He makes some mistakes, but he's only a RS (I think) Sophomore.
Scheelhaase is a RS sophomore, and really developing into a well-rounded QB.

I like Illinois' chances of getting to 8 wins with Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota. Then if you can manage one or two wins out of the Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin games, you're looking at a really successful 9 or 10 win season.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
scubastevo
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by scubastevo »

Indiana, Minny, and Purdue are looking like they are battling to see who can finish last. Looking at their schedule they should beat those 3 and have a good chance of beating Penn St (won;t be easy at Penn St) and tOSU. Then Michigan and Wisky at home helps. Looks like the Zooker's job might be sage another year.
Wait til next year. 101 is the year!
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

scubastevo wrote:Indiana, Minny, and Purdue are looking like they are battling to see who can finish last. Looking at their schedule they should beat those 3 and have a good chance of beating Penn St (won;t be easy at Penn St) and tOSU. Then Michigan and Wisky at home helps. Looks like the Zooker's job might be sage another year.
Was talking with a friend of mine yesterday and he said that he could see Illinois winning the rest of their games with the exception of Wisconsin and maybe one other game (Purdue? [hopefully not]). This team has been known to lay an egg against a team like Indiana or a lower tier team in the Big Ten after a win like the Northwestern game (see: the Minnesota game last season). Here's to hoping that it won't happen though.
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
scubastevo wrote:Indiana, Minny, and Purdue are looking like they are battling to see who can finish last. Looking at their schedule they should beat those 3 and have a good chance of beating Penn St (won;t be easy at Penn St) and tOSU. Then Michigan and Wisky at home helps. Looks like the Zooker's job might be sage another year.
Was talking with a friend of mine yesterday and he said that he could see Illinois winning the rest of their games with the exception of Wisconsin and maybe one other game (Purdue? [hopefully not]). This team has been known to lay an egg against a team like Indiana or a lower tier team in the Big Ten after a win like the Northwestern game (see: the Minnesota game last season). Here's to hoping that it won't happen though.
You're right; it could happen. Indiana or Purdue could both play up, but I just don't see it from Minnesota this year. The Ohio State and Michigan games should both be a lot of fun at Memorial Stadium.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

Beanie wrote:
It should be a fun game in Champaign.
Illinois will definitely be looking for revenge after losing in Ann Arbor last year the way they did.
buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

I love Hoke and think he will do great at Michigan. For me though I can't say they are back until they beat Ohio St. I am very tired of losing that game.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Beanie wrote:
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
You're right; it could happen. Indiana or Purdue could both play up, but I just don't see it from Minnesota this year. The Ohio State and Michigan games should both be a lot of fun at Memorial Stadium.
I don't think they will get beat by Minnesota either. But consider the fact that it will be a Thanksgiving weekend game outdoors in Minnesota. It'll be the last game of the season for both teams. Minnesota may play better just to salvage their season. Plus weather could be a factor as it could be a very cold game.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Also just a couple of other notes to pass along:

Jonathan Brown has been suspended for the Indiana game this Saturday after his actions in the Northwestern game: http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m- ... 11aaa.html

The Illlinois-Ohio State game time has been set. It will be shown at 2:30 PM CT and broadcast on ABC: http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m- ... 11aab.html
Lefty
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lefty »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:Also just a couple of other notes to pass along:

Jonathan Brown has been suspended for the Indiana game this Saturday after his actions in the Northwestern game: http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m- ... 11aaa.html

The Illlinois-Ohio State game time has been set. It will be shown at 2:30 PM CT and broadcast on ABC: http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m- ... 11aab.html

Good move by Zook and the Illini on the suspension....the kids need to understand not only is this real poor sportsmanship......there is no value in getting this kind of penalty anytime in any game
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Lefty wrote:
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:Also just a couple of other notes to pass along:

Good move by Zook and the Illini on the suspension....the kids need to understand not only is this real poor sportsmanship......there is no value in getting this kind of penalty anytime in any game
Agree 110%.. glad Zook took action.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.