And So It Begins

For the civil discussion of high school sports.
The Truth Be Told
Silver Poster (250 posts)

And So It Begins

Post by The Truth Be Told » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 am

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Re: And So It Begins

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Orne is f'n clueless if he really thinks he belongs in a smaller classification and that the success factor should be abolished. If anything, the success factor and multiplier should be much greater than it is now.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

jmc
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by jmc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 am

Especially for those public schools who win sectionals and state championships with athletes that move into the district from districts in close proximity to the new district. :shock: ;)

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 am

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:51 pm
Orne is f'n clueless if he really thinks he belongs in a smaller classification and that the success factor should be abolished. If anything, the success factor and multiplier should be much greater than it is now.
. :lol: Three Our Fathers and Three Hail Marys....

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 pm

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 am
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Oh boy. Do I remember those days as an alter boy. :angel
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:40 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 pm
The Truth Be Told wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 am
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Oh boy. Do I remember those days as an alter boy. :angel
. Fear not Redbird.... If you review the article note that this ad hoc committee is 16 strong. While the article doesn't state who is in the majority (private or public) numbers likely are on public side as is the collective voting body in the IHSA member schools. Coach Orne is just one voice one vote. They could easily rule against all the proposals but it appears they would like to be united.

And even after they decide one way or the other the final say will not be voted on by membership but the Board of Directors within the IHSA. A couple of big hurdles for the privates to overcome by this discriminatory policy. We will see....

IrishCatholic

Post by IrishCatholic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:46 am

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Care to explain and/or elaborate? More?

(Warning: I'm going to make an assumption in my next statement.)

"Because it's not fair..." ...Right?

With the recent vote to disallow Routt Catholic High School to co-op it's football program with Springfield Lutheran I guess I'm a bit overwhelmed with the glaring success of the public side of the private/public debate in recent years. It's fine for public athletic supporters to beat the dead horse about how unfair it is that private school's are granted their own type of "district" (if you will) to allow for families in places that may not offer private/religious based education an opportunity to choose so if they please. I don't care about the school(s) who is abusing the system and this and that. I care about the rule as it exists that was created for the purpose I mentioned above and nothing else, by the association that has in the past decade or more intentionally sought to (not just admit their faults) but punish the private schools' for accepting students well within their right. Yet, we have a glaring example of a private school (downstate) who is struggling with numbers. Thus, their "district" is drying up, so to speak. What's interesting to me is that it's safe to say a public school district will never "dry up" in the same sense. Sure, they may be forced to consolidate or co-op... oops, there it was. So it's ok for public school supporters to make statements like "the success factor and multiplier should be much greater than it is now" AND vote down an opportunity for a private school to help itself with dwindling numbers?

At the end of the day, private schools are at the mercy of the mold the public opinion takes. They have no say and no way of stopping a multiplier that attacked their very existence. They had no say or way of stopping a success factor, punishing students for successes of their peers before them. Now we have an example of a private school being told (in essence) to *** it up and hold on because some public school coaches (in essence) felt that was not in THEIR (the public side's) best interest (as I read it from the SJ-R article and Mr. Little from BC)

I guess, to shorten it up, you're asking to have your cake and eat it too. The cake is gone, you've taxed the privates and added a bonus taxation for the few who show a resistance to such a tax alone. The public vote will always out number and vastly outweigh the private delegation. What is enough? I know, I know... "put 'em in their own stinking class and let them beat each other up." Why do I even bother...

I'm not attacking you alone. It's the argument that gets me interested. I understand your side, I understand the side I stand on. I just don't understand how it can never be enough. You have outliers in private school's just as you do within public school athletics. Cheaters will always exist on both sides.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:45 pm

After all of the discussion I am not sure much will done. Sam Knox is a pretty level headed guy in charge of this issue. Public as well as private schools are struggling with funding. I see some tweaking perhaps but not big changes here.
go cubs go!

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46 am

deejay wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:45 pm
After all of the discussion I am not sure much will done. Sam Knox is a pretty level headed guy in charge of this issue. Public as well as private schools are struggling with funding. I see some tweaking perhaps but not big changes here.
. I met Mr. Knox a few years ago while tailgating early before a Railsplitter/Cyclone game in Lincoln. Back then he was the A.D. for Lincoln. Was impressed after a long conversation with him and you are correct he is a pretty level headed guy. I feel that is a good thing for the privates. Unfortunately this has always been about politics and that type of pressure from the publics controlling membership could overrule what should be a very easy decision change.