IHSA Proposal

For the civil discussion of high school sports.
94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: IHSA Proposal

Post by 94 Knight » Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 am

First of all nice job Truth be Told for listings the specifics.
This just seems like a lot of work for something that doesn't (in my opinion) need fixed.

peoria2chicago
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by peoria2chicago » Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 am

I'm a little confused/intrigued by the 4A districts, specifically District 5 and 6. Why are Canton and Macomb split? Ideally, Canton/Macomb/Havana/QND/IVC/Manual together would make more sense, wouldn't it? Also- Havana in 4A? Is this true?

I'm getting too many "Hunger Games" vibes with this district talk :xbug
"Yeah but we're the coolest **** oxymoron you'll ever see. It's a great day to be a Little Giant!"

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan » Mon May 14, 2018 8:19 pm

peoria2chicago wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 am
I'm a little confused/intrigued by the 4A districts, specifically District 5 and 6. Why are Canton and Macomb split? Ideally, Canton/Macomb/Havana/QND/IVC/Manual together would make more sense, wouldn't it? Also- Havana in 4A? Is this true?

I'm getting too many "Hunger Games" vibes with this district talk :xbug
Havana co-ops with Midwest Central in 2018-19, which bumps them up a couple classes.

sirtoxic4
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by sirtoxic4 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 am

CIS wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:25 pm
That all may be OB, but districts have swept into states like Minnesota and I believe Missouri along with other states. I have the feeling that somewhere districts are going to come to Illinois whether we like or not. Hey, as a Pekin guy I would HATE districts. I do know that schools at the lower levels might like districts because many small school conferences have gone crazy the last several years because of football issues.
Missouri has had districts for a long period of time. They one thing I like about them, your district games are against schools the same size of you (roughly). In Indiana everyone makes the post season in football. (A lot less schools) 32 in 6A and 5A, 64 in other classes. Enrollment and success factor changes factored every two seasons. When placed in your class then assigned to sectional. Random draw in sectional (the only thing I hate) for brackets in sectional. Then advance from there. Much easier when there are less schools.
"It's Manu Manu the slender and his I'm going out and get some poi sack dance!"

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed May 16, 2018 11:30 am

sirtoxic4 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 am
CIS wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:25 pm
That all may be OB, but districts have swept into states like Minnesota and I believe Missouri along with other states. I have the feeling that somewhere districts are going to come to Illinois whether we like or not. Hey, as a Pekin guy I would HATE districts. I do know that schools at the lower levels might like districts because many small school conferences have gone crazy the last several years because of football issues.
Missouri has had districts for a long period of time. They one thing I like about them, your district games are against schools the same size of you (roughly). In Indiana everyone makes the post season in football. (A lot less schools) 32 in 6A and 5A, 64 in other classes. Enrollment and success factor changes factored every two seasons. When placed in your class then assigned to sectional. Random draw in sectional (the only thing I hate) for brackets in sectional. Then advance from there. Much easier when there are less schools.
It would be interesting to see how many states have districts. I do know that in Minnesota there are some problems with larger schools outside the twin cities. For instance, Duluth schools have to travel 3 hours to the Twin city area to play their games - this would be much like what downstate 7A-8A schools might go through. It would also be interesting to see what folks in states that have district play think about districts...

wolverine55
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by wolverine55 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm

I have previously coached in Illinois and now teach in Iowa...and I love districts! It eliminates the conference shuffling and the "creative scheduling" that sometimes leads to the quest to get five wins. To go with an above point, it absolutely does not destroy conferences. Conference rivalries and titles still carry importance in the other sports. However, due to being a less populous state, it's admittedly easier in Iowa to accomplish good, balanced districts.

I will add that while Iowa is 100% district now, there was a time when 4A (our biggest class) was allowed to remain in conferences for football while the rest of the state was in districts. Maybe something like this could help 7A/8A IL? I don't know but just throwing that out there.
18 5 7 7 9 5 19 21 3 11 19 4 9 3 11