PJS High School Sports Coverage

For the civil discussion of high school sports.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

PJS High School Sports Coverage

Post by deejay » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:20 am

I noticed that with fall season high school sports, there has been no sports coverage of golf. Will it be the same for soccer, football etc?
go cubs go!

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Re: PJS High School Sports Coverage

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 am

They have tweeted schedules for football preseason articles yesterday and put a few out already
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:00 am

The Journal Star sports department went through yet another round of layoffs. Five part-timers were let go last week along with longtime do-it-all Joe Bates resigning.

This leaves the department with seven employees - Wes Huett, Dave Reynolds, Dave Eminian, Stan Morris, Johnny Campos, John Komosa and myself.

I would expect to see feature stories from all the fall sports - girls tennis, golf, cross country, boys soccer, girls swimming & diving, football and volleyball. But I wouldn't expect to see the daily box scores or highlights like in the past. The manpower to produce that is no longer there. Or maybe I'm wrong on that.

We are meeting tonight to discuss the future of the department.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:24 am

Exact opposite of what I believe Gatehouse should do. The AP National stuff we can get online minutes after it happens. Local sports coverage we have to rely on the local paper. I think subscribers and advertising money would increase if they gave us better local coverage and not the pay more for less of what we can’t get elsewhere
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:31 pm

Another round of layoffs is unreal. With all of the great local sports teams in golf, soccer and cross country, etc. I find it hard to believe that we can’t get coverage from the local media. Peoria wants the IHSA basketball, baseball and softball, yet there is no commitment from our print media. Guess it’s time to turn the lights out in Peoria. What a shame.
go cubs go!

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:41 am

deejay wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:31 pm
Another round of layoffs is unreal. With all of the great local sports teams in golf, soccer and cross country, etc. I find it hard to believe that we can’t get coverage from the local media. Peoria wants the IHSA basketball, baseball and softball, yet there is no commitment from our print media. Guess it’s time to turn the lights out in Peoria. What a shame.
With a seven-person staff, what's your suggestion for a coverage plan?

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:26 am

Unfortunately I don’t have one, except I do remember years ago the PJS used to have people from the home schools call in the stats and game highlights. I used to do that and had a contact at the paper to call. Our son did that when he was in high school also. I guess we were your stringers. Would that even be possible now? Our coffee group this morning talked about options on ways to get the info to the newspaper. But then what would the PJS allow us to do?
go cubs go!

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:01 pm

deejay wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:26 am
Unfortunately I don’t have one, except I do remember years ago the PJS used to have people from the home schools call in the stats and game highlights. I used to do that and had a contact at the paper to call. Our son did that when he was in high school also. I guess we were your stringers. Would that even be possible now? Our coffee group this morning talked about options on ways to get the info to the newspaper. But then what would the PJS allow us to do?
You are correct about providing the paper with scores and any additional info if the game was close or a marquee matchup. Most all coaches (and some ADs) still do this, but now via email.

Unfortunately, we don’t have the man power or part-time hours allotted to continue producing day-to-day box scores (they have to be typed up and put into specific styles) and game highlights (they need to be written). We do, however, have enough reporters to get out to 10-12 events a week and produce content off those games, matches, invites, etc.

Stringers are considered freelance reporters a paper hires to report usually on one game. Most stringer fees run $50-$100 per story. I’d hope the paper would hire more part-time reporters before paying a stringer fee.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:09 pm

Print newspaper remaining life is probably less than 7 years.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:29 pm

Adam explained all the issues and it is so unfortunate that the PJS owners just don’t understand what customer focus means. Waiting until Sunday to see results of Friday’s football just doesn’t cut it. And with the early print cut off, I don’t see and earlier deliveries. Not sure what one is relevant to the other.
go cubs go!