PJS High School Sports Coverage

For the civil discussion of high school sports.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

PJS High School Sports Coverage

Post by deejay »

I noticed that with fall season high school sports, there has been no sports coverage of golf. Will it be the same for soccer, football etc?
go cubs go!

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Re: PJS High School Sports Coverage

Post by O&B 78 »

They have tweeted schedules for football preseason articles yesterday and put a few out already
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall »

The Journal Star sports department went through yet another round of layoffs. Five part-timers were let go last week along with longtime do-it-all Joe Bates resigning.

This leaves the department with seven employees - Wes Huett, Dave Reynolds, Dave Eminian, Stan Morris, Johnny Campos, John Komosa and myself.

I would expect to see feature stories from all the fall sports - girls tennis, golf, cross country, boys soccer, girls swimming & diving, football and volleyball. But I wouldn't expect to see the daily box scores or highlights like in the past. The manpower to produce that is no longer there. Or maybe I'm wrong on that.

We are meeting tonight to discuss the future of the department.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Exact opposite of what I believe Gatehouse should do. The AP National stuff we can get online minutes after it happens. Local sports coverage we have to rely on the local paper. I think subscribers and advertising money would increase if they gave us better local coverage and not the pay more for less of what we can’t get elsewhere
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Another round of layoffs is unreal. With all of the great local sports teams in golf, soccer and cross country, etc. I find it hard to believe that we can’t get coverage from the local media. Peoria wants the IHSA basketball, baseball and softball, yet there is no commitment from our print media. Guess it’s time to turn the lights out in Peoria. What a shame.
go cubs go!

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall »

deejay wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:31 pm
Another round of layoffs is unreal. With all of the great local sports teams in golf, soccer and cross country, etc. I find it hard to believe that we can’t get coverage from the local media. Peoria wants the IHSA basketball, baseball and softball, yet there is no commitment from our print media. Guess it’s time to turn the lights out in Peoria. What a shame.
With a seven-person staff, what's your suggestion for a coverage plan?

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Unfortunately I don’t have one, except I do remember years ago the PJS used to have people from the home schools call in the stats and game highlights. I used to do that and had a contact at the paper to call. Our son did that when he was in high school also. I guess we were your stringers. Would that even be possible now? Our coffee group this morning talked about options on ways to get the info to the newspaper. But then what would the PJS allow us to do?
go cubs go!

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall »

deejay wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:26 am
Unfortunately I don’t have one, except I do remember years ago the PJS used to have people from the home schools call in the stats and game highlights. I used to do that and had a contact at the paper to call. Our son did that when he was in high school also. I guess we were your stringers. Would that even be possible now? Our coffee group this morning talked about options on ways to get the info to the newspaper. But then what would the PJS allow us to do?
You are correct about providing the paper with scores and any additional info if the game was close or a marquee matchup. Most all coaches (and some ADs) still do this, but now via email.

Unfortunately, we don’t have the man power or part-time hours allotted to continue producing day-to-day box scores (they have to be typed up and put into specific styles) and game highlights (they need to be written). We do, however, have enough reporters to get out to 10-12 events a week and produce content off those games, matches, invites, etc.

Stringers are considered freelance reporters a paper hires to report usually on one game. Most stringer fees run $50-$100 per story. I’d hope the paper would hire more part-time reporters before paying a stringer fee.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Print newspaper remaining life is probably less than 7 years.
Get a shot of rhythm and blues
With just a little rock and roll on the side

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Adam explained all the issues and it is so unfortunate that the PJS owners just don’t understand what customer focus means. Waiting until Sunday to see results of Friday’s football just doesn’t cut it. And with the early print cut off, I don’t see and earlier deliveries. Not sure what one is relevant to the other.
go cubs go!

Myersdb

Post by Myersdb »

Several previous posts explain the PJS’s point of view regarding discontinued local box scores and also from fans expressing disappointment.
Has the PJS given up trying to adjust limited resources in effort to meet your customers desire for local box scores? All of the time spent printing AP material isn’t necessary because it’s available elsewhere. That staff time should be dedicated to our local sports.
Poll your customers if you don’t understand how disappointing we are.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

A good friend of mine spent years at the Pekin Times, and said that one of the big issues is that the paper is printed earlier and all of the evening sports has no chance to ever get in the paper. That In addition to the staff reductions. I can tell you that a few weeks ago I was fortunate to get my paper delivered by 7 am. Now my paper is delivered at 5 by the same carrier. With that another friend lives in Bloomington and he said that he delivery the his neighborhood is erratic and fortunate to even get a paper delivered everyday even though he pays for the service. Just sad to see print media like this.
go cubs go!

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan »

I follow Lincoln-Way sports for high school as that’s where my kids played. That said, I still canceled my subscription two weeks ago which I’ve had since I got transferred here in ‘88. The paper was consistently late, the sudoku puzzle got too small, articles about the Blackhawks and Bulls basically ceased, and the tv and radio schedule for the upcoming seven days for teams of local interest completely went away.
#girldad

Larry33
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Larry33 »

Seven sports writers seems like a big enough staff to report local sports. In Fridays paper [ Dec. 20 ] two full pages---the sports ticker and scoreboard ---- does either page require any of the seven reporters to do much work?
Good article on Bradley, I like the power ratings on high school basketball and there is a limited schedule for high school games for tonight. But last night the second state ranked girls basketball team played a {Local ] game at Princeville---- nothing on this game.
I have no idea when the paper is actually printed. So maybe getting results is not possible , but it was once done very well, why is it not possible to build a network with schools to provide information about their games and have a writer available to organize the material for the paper.
Prices for the paper keep going up, quality of the paper keeps falling, even a dummy like me knows that is not a very sound business plan.
GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT--------EXPANDED LOCAL SPORTS.

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall »

Larry33 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:04 am
Seven sports writers seems like a big enough staff to report local sports. In Fridays paper [ Dec. 20 ] two full pages---the sports ticker and scoreboard ---- does either page require any of the seven reporters to do much work?
Good article on Bradley, I like the power ratings on high school basketball and there is a limited schedule for high school games for tonight. But last night the second state ranked girls basketball team played a {Local ] game at Princeville---- nothing on this game.
I have no idea when the paper is actually printed. So maybe getting results is not possible , but it was once done very well, why is it not possible to build a network with schools to provide information about their games and have a writer available to organize the material for the paper.
Prices for the paper keep going up, quality of the paper keeps falling, even a dummy like me knows that is not a very sound business plan.
GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT--------EXPANDED LOCAL SPORTS.
Seven seems like a lot, but look at it like this:
Full-Timers-
Wes Huett - sports editor, who must handle the day-to-day workings as well as helping put the paper out
Dave Reynolds - Bradley basketball beat writer, who is handcuffed by a 9 p.m. deadline (This is a local sports deadline only. The national sports deadline remains close to what it was before - around midnight.)
Dave Eminian - Rivermen beat writer, who experiences the same obstacles as Dave

Part-Timers-
Stan Morris, Johnny Campos, John Komosa and myself - We are allotted 75 hours per week between the four of us. That gives each of us around 19 hours per week to try and cover our beats to the best of our abilities.

Regarding your comment on the results, I'll repeat what I said above:

Unfortunately, we don’t have the man power or part-time hours allotted to continue producing day-to-day box scores (they have to be typed up and put into specific styles) ...

Larry 33
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Larry 33 »

I did not know that four of the reporters were part time reporters. A 9pm deadline makes it just about impossible for the morning paper after games, but most of the time there is nothing on the games. Scores for a Tuesday game could surely be in thursdays paper as well as Friday games in the Sunday paper

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Adam how do you make a living with only 18-20 hours a week? Do you write/report for any other publications? I did not realize that the four of you were part timers...I miss the good old days when newspapers had money and had a lot of full time sports staff.

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall »

Larry 33 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:57 pm
I did not know that four of the reporters were part time reporters. A 9pm deadline makes it just about impossible for the morning paper after games, but most of the time there is nothing on the games. Scores for a Tuesday game could surely be in thursdays paper as well as Friday games in the Sunday paper
Not doing basketball scores - whether the following day or a few days later - was a choice made to use the hours for reporting on stories and not focusing on strictly box score input. I utilize my Twitter account to tweet out scores.

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall »

CIS wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:00 pm
Adam how do you make a living with only 18-20 hours a week? Do you write/report for any other publications? I did not realize that the four of you were part timers...I miss the good old days when newspapers had money and had a lot of full time sports staff.
I left the Journal Star as a full-timer in July 2016 for another full-time job. When I rejoined the staff in August 2018, I kept my full-time employment and added some part-time hours with the JS.

Larry33
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Larry33 »

How do I get to your twitter account?

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall »

young guns
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by young guns »

I know things are tough in the print media biz now but.....
You have the top 3A girls basketball team in the state just minutes away who just beat two top tier 4A teams, Lincoln Way West and Marist, to stay undefeated and win the State Farm Classic. And not a word in today's Journal Star? I did a search for it online and found nothing. If it's there I apologize but couldn't find it.
At least the Pantagraph managed a couple of short paragraphs.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

I gotta say, I try to understand all that the PJS is going through and a big supporter of the print press, but I was visiting my family during the Christmas week down in Peoria area last week. I bought a paper each day ($2) and there was NOTHING in it about the previous days games. In fact one day has just two pages and just a few articles of high school sports but nothing from previous days actions. The rest was pro/college sports that was rehashed news. I literally read the sports in two minutes! :( THe Pekin times was even worse - I got done in record 45 seconds! :td I can afford the papers but really thought its not worth THREE dollars a day to buy both when there is hardly anything in them...very disappointed.

Larry33
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Larry33 »

This I hope will be my last remarks on sports coverage. When you say that the paper made a decision to have the writers cover only a few of the games each week, with some articles about the teams, you are not giving your readers information that they want.
I am an ex coach that enjoys watching basketball, but I often do not know what games are available to watch. Just this past weekend the PJS had no schedule for two local shootouts, Metamora and Abingdon. Scorestream gives you some scheduled games but often not where at, twitter is a hodgepod of information that for me is hard to follow. Often I go to the IHSA site to get schedules.
Providing scores and schedules should not be hard to do. I recently read the Pantagraph, they had schedules and also stats on the best players in their area. Your sports editor needs to think about having a few feature articles about just a few teams and games and nothing on the rest of the 95%of the teams in your area.

Larry33
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Larry33 »

Pjs had Manual at Morton on Saturday at 3, thought this was a strange time, but I thought I would check it out. Went to Morton , but no game. I should know better than to trust what is in the Star, game was at Peoria Central.