Highschool Sports

For the civil discussion of high school sports.
Rockets 1991
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Highschool Sports

Post by Rockets 1991 »

What is everyone's opinion on when Highschool Sports will resume in Illinois

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Highschool Sports

Post by O&B 78 »

When Prickster says so
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

With or without fans in attendance?

I predict October 2021 with no fans in attendance. I also predict limited fans allowed January 2021.

IHSA is working diligently to get sports back on the map. They have a medical panel that advises and have proposed plans for phase 3 to allow coach-student in person interaction starting soon. I believe they’re still awaiting State of Illinois approval.

I can tell you as someone involved with a late December event, we are planning for multiple scenarios.
Get a shot of rhythm and blues
With just a little rock and roll on the side

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

illini25 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:19 pm
With or without fans in attendance?

I predict October 2021 with no fans in attendance. I also predict limited fans allowed January 2021.
It's gonna be really weird for us to go backwards like that after allowing people back in.

SS01
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by SS01 »

In terms of basketball, I'd like to know how you enforce either scenario, especially limited fan attendance. How many "team personnel" are allowed? The IHSA sets a fan limit. Who is responsible for overseeing that? Realistically, there's no way that's going to be strictly adhered to.You have to limit access to one entrance. Do you allot a certain number of fans for each team? Do you count heads, and then turn away the people still in line to get in? How do you handle people who decide they're coming in one way or another? What if the visiting team shows up with more than their allotment? Who gets priority? First come first served, parents, season ticket holders, "VIPs"? If I buy a season ticket, I had better not get shut out of any games. This whole situation has the potential of becoming a total cluster****. The security protocols had better be well-defined.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

SS01, I can tell you it was going to work this way for the IHSA sectional.

Each team was to provide a list of approved spectators (60 per school). It is up to the school who is on list. One entrance at venue. If you aren’t on the list, you don’t get in.

It isn’t that hard to enforce or police.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

IHSA submitted plan to IDPH > 2 weeks ago.
Still waiting ...

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

illini25 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:50 pm
IHSA submitted plan to IDPH > 2 weeks ago.
Still waiting ...
IHSA release Friday afternoon says that individual workouts can start on Saturday, with all sorts of restrictions and no sport specific implements can be used. These aren't official contact days and are supposed to just get kids back in some sort of shape. If you saw the National Federation guidelines from several weeks back, a lot of it is the same. In an efficient state, the plan would have been approved three days after it was submitted.

The way things are moving, we'll be lucky if there's on-site school at all by fall, let alone sports. (Golf seems the most likely to come back first. Maybe cross country, but I don't think there will be the 40+ team invites this fall. Football looks real shaky, as it's impossible to keep social distance and breathing through a mask would be very difficult.)
Hopefully things clear up faster than I'm expecting.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Meanwhile all of the neighboring states sports get the green light. We won’t start here until Chicago is given the ok, which will probably be never. Sad day for Illinois sports.
go cubs go!

SS01

Post by SS01 »

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Illinois Allows Summer School Openings
https://www.southernminn.com/around_the ... d614d.html

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

The IHSA is following the strict guidelines set by our Governor. Meanwhile I still should not play catch with my grandson, and kids are going out of state just to play summer sports. Be sure to stay six feet apart, but you can be arm in arm if you want to protest. I never thought I would see our society in this mayhem.
go cubs go!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

deejay wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:07 am
The IHSA is following the strict guidelines set by our Governor. Meanwhile I still should not play catch with my grandson, and kids are going out of state just to play summer sports. Be sure to stay six feet apart, but you can be arm in arm if you want to protest. I never thought I would see our society in this mayhem.
The IHSA worked with IDPH to set the guidelines, not the Governor's office. And in case you hadn't noticed, the stay-at-home order is no longer in effect. Whether you play catch with your grandson is your decision. And let's be honest here. These guidelines are a good first step. And they have said that the priority right now is being given to fall sport athletes, which makes sense. Look, no one knows what things are going to be like come late July/early August when things like football start practicing for the start of the season. And the large majority of those protesters you mention have been wearing masks in their protests.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

deejay wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:07 am
A co-worker’s daughter’s middle school softball team has an entire summer season scheduled in Iowa and Missouri.
All that hospitality and entertainment revenue that goes with these events is traveling with the teams.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Sorry Blue, but when I referred to the Governor’s guidelines, it states that in the first line of the edict.
go cubs go!

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

deejay wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:09 pm
Sorry Blue, but when I referred to the Governor’s guidelines, it states that in the first line of the edict.
” As a result of the Governor’s Restore Illinois Plan...”

:td

SS01

Post by SS01 »

IDPH Approves IHSA Phase 4 Return to Play Plan Effective July 5
https://www.ihsa.org/documents/Phase4RTP.pdf

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight »

My girlfriend works in a hospital and is around sick and affected people daily. What I am hearing is,"who cares if people get sick and/or die as long as 6th grade girls softball goes on". If people are really crossing boarders to IA and MO so their 11 year old can play softball/baseball during a pandemic then our society is in far worse shape than even I think it is in.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

94 Knight wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:22 am
My girlfriend works in a hospital and is around sick and affected people daily. What I am hearing is,"who cares if people get sick and/or die as long as 6th grade girls softball goes on". If people are really crossing boarders to IA and MO so their 11 year old can play softball/baseball during a pandemic then our society is in far worse shape than even I think it is in.
These things can be done safely. It’s not black and white. There’s an in between position. Maybe you’re not hearing that part.

I have 5 close relatives in the health field (surgical, RN, 2 NP Advanced Practice and PT) Practicing safe shopping, safe dining, etc. It can be done.

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight »

As long as girls middle school softball is a go! :D

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

94 Knight wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:02 pm
As long as girls middle school softball is a go! :D
Do you realize they may miss out on scholarships if they don’t get to play this summer! :shock: ;)

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

94 Knight wrote:
This pandemic has really shown how selfish certain people in our society have become. I mean my goodness when did wearing a mask become a political issue all of a sudden?

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:28 pm
94 Knight wrote:
This pandemic has really shown how selfish certain people in our society have become. I mean my goodness when did wearing a mask become a political issue all of a sudden?
Everything is a political issue at the moment.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

MidstateFan wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:34 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
94 Knight wrote:
But why does something as simple as wearing a mask have to be one?

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:50 pm
MidstateFan wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:34 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:

But why does something as simple as wearing a mask have to be one?
Because both sides of the issue make it one.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.