Olympic Conference returning?

For the civil discussion of small school football.
Leatherneck
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Olympic Conference returning?

Post by Leatherneck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm

In the past week, a thread appeared on the IHSS board regarding WRMJ Aledo reports that the Sherrard superintendent is sending out exploratory letters regarding reestablishing the Olympic Conference (which disbanded after the 2009-2010 school year).

The schools contacted include Orion, Rockridge, Mercer County, Sherrard, Elmwood-Brimfield, Macomb, Monmouth-Roseville, Knoxville, Farmington, and Kewanee. (although E/B is likely for football only since they're still separate schools but coop in everything except basketball--although they're both still in the ICAC in addition to the Prairieland).

IHSS thread: http://www.illinoishighschoolsports.com ... Conference

WRMJ reported this morning that there will be a superintendents' meeting of the contacted schools this Friday: http://wrmj.com/boucher-olympic-confere ... y-meeting/

Thoughts? Would be nice especially for basketball but IMO except for the northern teams, M-R, and Macomb, can't see it happening (not even with Farmington and Knoxville--but who knows with how similarly far-flung the Prairieland has gotten since the Oly disbanded, with trips to Rushville, IW for football, and formerly to Beardstown, with mileage similar to the travel to most of the Oly teams but going SW instead of NW).

Big Papa Pump
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Olympic Conference returning?

Post by Big Papa Pump » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 pm

My thoughts are fine if they want to. Makes it seem ridiculous it did not stay together in the first place. I hear quite often that MC wants out of the LTC in football so this would provide that avenue. Quite frankly, the LTC is already there and could add two to four teams or more in for football and the other sports. That would solve problems for several schools conference wise, travel wise and size wise. Orion and Sherrard would fit easily. Rockridge would not be all that far away or Knoxville. Kewanee is right in the middle of it. All the schools keep co-oping and consolidating anyway, so why not make the LTC stronger to absorb all of it over time? I could be out in left field on this but the size of the schools is not a huge issue anymore between everyone and distance wise, they are all in a relative geographic area.

sirtoxic4
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by sirtoxic4 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:12 am

I would be surprised if E/B would make this move.
"It's Manu Manu the slender and his I'm going out and get some poi sack dance!"

WinolaJet11
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by WinolaJet11 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:56 am

IMO it makes most sense travel wise "get the band back together."

For example I took Sherrard.

In The TRAC, according to Googlemaps.

Sherrard HS is
-1:03 from BV (Manlius, IL)
-1:09 from Sterling
-1:04 from Fulton
-1:23 from Spring Valley
-1:25 from Peru
-1:00 from Morrison
-1:12 from Princeton
-:57 from Prophetstown

The rest (Kewanee, Riverdale, Erie, Orion, Rockridge) are all reasonable.

Then I also took the numbers from Merco for example.

In the LTC, according to googlemaps.

While being more reasonable travelwise than above listed Sherrard-

MC is

-1:05 from Wethersfield
-1:10 from Stark
-1:23 from Princeville
-1:10 from Annawan
-:53 from Galva
-:47 from Rowva
-:46 from Cambridge
-:34 from United
-:35 from Alwood
-:35 from West Central

Now lets compare the enrollment numbers between the conf's

Speaking from the IHSA site's football numbers

TRAC (Rock)

Fulton -309
Orion-336
Rockridge-354
Bureau Valley-301
Morrison-299
Riverdale- 302

Trac (Mississippi)
Sterling Newman-(Adj.) 376
St. Bede- 320
Princeton- 552
Kewanee- 536
Erie-Prophetstown Coop- 491
Sherrard- 479
Hall- 394

Erie & Prophetstown both split for basketball. individual enrollments at
Erie-213
Ptown- 278

LTC wise (Football)

Merco- 395
West Central- 270
Ridgewood- 262
Annawan-Wethersfield- 309
United- 321
MidCounty- 456
Princeville-242
Stark Co-271

MidCo football from my understanding is 3 teams (Galva, Williamsfield, Rowva)
Basketball & Baseball wise-
Galva stands alone (179)
Rowva (191) & Williamsfield (86) Co-op

Annawan & Wethersfield both split for basketball. Individual Enrollments at

Annawan- 120
Wethersfield- 189

I don't really have an opinion when it comes to the enrollment issues, because in Basketball I know that Coach Parsons & Coach Jones (now back at Galva) & Coach Coppejans all do a great job & have very solid teams year in and year out, regardless of their numbers & I'd put those teams up against anyone in the TRAC and know that I'm going to see a good competitive game.

Travelwise, I just think its more practical to see the OLY resurface. Rockridge to Merco 15 min. Sherrard to Orion 15 min. Orion to Merco 35 min. Sherrard Rockridge 20~ min. throw MR in there and they're about 30 min from everyone previously listed.

Knoxville is about an hour(ish) from previously listed exception to MR

Farmington would have the largest travel distance out of anyone I'd assume

and just to throw in other take, bringing the OLY back puts butts in the seats. Obviously, people are more likely to drive 15-30 mins for a highschool sporting event than they are to drive an hour plus.

I hope the above listed numbers saves everyone some time when they want to go look at figures & try to form their opinions on this.

I am all for bringing the old conf back to life.
Long Live The Jets :td

Big Papa Pump
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Big Papa Pump » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:16 am

WinolaJet11 wrote:IMO it makes most sense travel wise "get the band back together."

Sherrard HS is

MC is

TRAC (Rock)

Fulton -309
Orion-336
Rockridge-354
Bureau Valley-301
Morrison-299
Riverdale- 302

Trac (Mississippi)
St. Bede- 320
Princeton- 552
Kewanee- 536
Sherrard- 479
Hall- 394

Erie-213
Ptown- 278

LTC wise (Football)

Merco- 395
West Central- 270
Ridgewood- 262
United- 321
MidCounty- 456
Princeville-242
Stark Co-271

Galva stands alone (179)

Annawan- 120
Wethersfield- 189

I don't really have an opinion when it comes to the enrollment issues, because in Basketball I know that Coach Parsons & Coach Jones (now back at Galva) & Coach Coppejans all do a great job & have very solid teams year in and year out, regardless of their numbers & I'd put those teams up against anyone in the TRAC and know that I'm going to see a good competitive game.

Travelwise, I just think its more practical to see the OLY resurface. Rockridge to Merco 15 min. Sherrard to Orion 15 min. Orion to Merco 35 min. Sherrard Rockridge 20~ min. throw MR in there and they're about 30 min from everyone previously listed.

and just to throw in other take, bringing the OLY back puts butts in the seats. Obviously, people are more likely to drive 15-30 mins for a highschool sporting event than they are to drive an hour plus.

I hope the above listed numbers saves everyone some time when they want to go look at figures & try to form their opinions on this.

That is why I thought combining the Oly and LTC makes sense. It makes it a large, strong conference with flexibility. It allows for contraction due to co-ops/consolidations in the future in football while still allowing one to divide the conference big school/small school but giving flexibility for cross overs. All Other sports should work fairly well or once again gives you the option of big school / small school. And all the driving times would be reasonable.

WinolaJet11
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by WinolaJet11 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 am

Big Papa Pump wrote:
WinolaJet11 wrote:IMO it makes most sense travel wise "get the band back together."

Sherrard HS is

MC is

TRAC (Rock)

Fulton -309
Orion-336
Rockridge-354
Bureau Valley-301
Morrison-299
Riverdale- 302

Trac (Mississippi)
St. Bede- 320
Princeton- 552
Kewanee- 536
Sherrard- 479
Hall- 394

Erie-213
Ptown- 278

LTC wise (Football)

Merco- 395
West Central- 270
Ridgewood- 262
United- 321
MidCounty- 456
Princeville-242
Stark Co-271

Galva stands alone (179)

Annawan- 120
Wethersfield- 189

That is why I thought combining the Oly and LTC makes sense. It makes it a large, strong conference with flexibility. It allows for contraction due to co-ops/consolidations in the future in football while still allowing one to divide the conference big school/small school but giving flexibility for cross overs. All Other sports should work fairly well or once again gives you the option of big school / small school. And all the driving times would be reasonable.
Do you think the LTC as a whole would be on board with that? I'm not a huge fan of the super conference idea, I want 10~ teams.

I also wanna see teams that I'm going to match up with in the post season, during my conference season. So for Merco, I know they end up in the same Regionals (Sub Sect's now) as a majority of the OLY teams and obviously play LTC teams all year long with a couple potential post season matchups sprinkled in early before the conf season gets rolling.

If the conf's merge that would probably be solved, but again, the super conf just isn't my cup of tea.

Big Papa Pump
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Big Papa Pump » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm

No idea what LTC would want as I am just speaking my opinion. I never liked the super conference WPT either back in the day but mainly because I felt one of the three conferences dominated all the decisions and hence why the other two eventually left. I think the Oly/LTC could just form one new conference and it has many more things going for it in terms of needs and similarities. It is a good geographical area with a lot of people knowing those in other towns. But more than that, I think all the schools fit with each other. Keep in mind, Merco has a really good rivalry going with AW and Stark as an example.(only talking football on that but outside of football, other sports have been really competitive). Yes LTC is a little on smaller size population wise, but there are so many co-ops and consolidations happening and more in the future that I think as a super conference, it may eventually become just a conference as these things happen. Orion could end up consolidated with an LTC School, Galva could consolidate with someone. Wethersfield (though would fight tooth and nail) could end up as Kewanee. etc. etc.

Just my opinion but think it makes sense long term. That is what I feel is missing in all these conference changes, long term thinking. There are several other sports besides football and fball dominates the conference alignments. So why not have a very flexible conference that can absorb changes, keep travel pretty close geographically, keep some of the already established rivalries, renews some old ones (and maybe real old ones from old Little 6 or Corn Belt days) and maybe starts some new ones?

WinolaJet11
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by WinolaJet11 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:19 am

Yeah, maybe that could all be looked at further down the road when all of the super schools start coming into play (consolidations, etc.)

Assuming Merco leaves LTC, who do you think fills their spot?

or rather, does that spot get filled by anyone?

Big Papa Pump
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Big Papa Pump » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:55 am

I really don't see anyone filling it unless Abingdon/Avon decides to make a move. There is not anyone else in the area to get and be in range distance wise.

WinolaJet11
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by WinolaJet11 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm

I'd think it'd need filled but I don't really know, I guess. Football schedule would be short a game, would have to find another cross over/non conf game I suppose.

dshenaut
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by dshenaut » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:14 pm

bhook03
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by bhook03 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:07 am

Big Papa Pump wrote:I really don't see anyone filling it unless Abingdon/Avon decides to make a move. There is not anyone else in the area to get and be in range distance wise.
I believe A/A attempted to join last year on the condition another school joined. If I remember correctly the other school was BV, but they either declined or the board didn't decide quick enough for it to happen. I think it would be a good move for them enrollment wise.
Now let's get a bleepn snack!

sirtoxic4
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by sirtoxic4 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:48 am

dshenaut wrote:http://www.qconline.com/sports/high_sch ... 39170.html

Looks like E/B are out.

This is no surprise to me. Besides football, it did not seem like a good fit.
"It's Manu Manu the slender and his I'm going out and get some poi sack dance!"

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:47 am

sirtoxic4 wrote:
dshenaut wrote:http://www.qconline.com/sports/high_sch ... 39170.html

Looks like E/B are out.

This is no surprise to me. Besides football, it did not seem like a good fit.
I agree--if Brimfield and Elmwood were also separately offered membership, I couldn't see them switching. Let alone leaving two conferences--Prairieland and ICAC--in the lurch for potentially having to find new members (especially the ICAC--which other the tradition and its longevity I'm surprised is still around now that Billtown has cooped with ROWVA and all the teams now have second conference homes).

Even though I can't see both schools leaving their conferences at this time (unless the P-Land keeps heading farther southwestward for football expansion e.g., West Hancock), I've always thought if the need arose E/B (and Elmwood and Brimfield as standalones) would also make a great fit in the LTC enrollment and geography-wise (perhaps even better than A-Town and what West Prairie was during the latter's time in the LTC--not to mention Elmwood's old rivalries with Princeville, SC predecessors Toulon and Wyoming, and Wethersfield dating to the Blackhawk Conference era). The LTC basketball tourney situation will pose a problem (as both Elmwood and Brimfield would have to drop one of the two non-ICAC tourneys if they ever left the P-Land for the LTC--which let me stress I can't see happening at this time).

Anyone knows if Farmington and Knoxville were present at this meeting? Despite Knoxville still remaining in the junior high conference with their old Oly rivals, with their enrollment now I can't see them leaving the P-Land again (and like E/B, K-Ville is another P-Land school that would also make a good LTC fit if the need arose). It will be interesting what Farmington does.

I wonder if later the Oly superintendents, if the conference revival gains more traction, might talk to other TRAC and former NCIC teams such as Princeton and Hall too. Perhaps IVC could be in play (I wonder if the "new Oly" might be a "little" better travel from Chillicothe than the Corn Belt/Okaw combo).

wolverine55
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by wolverine55 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:18 am

While there would be some travel distance involved, if they are serious about reforming this conference, I would think West Hancock would be a school for them to reach out too. They are getting pretty desperate to find a conference home as they currently have to fill 6 or 7 open slots on their schedule every year due to the West Central Conference disintegrating.
18 5 7 7 9 5 19 21 3 11 19 4 9 3 11

WinolaJet11
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by WinolaJet11 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:15 pm

From my understanding, Knoxville EB & Farmington were all kind of a "stretch" but also that West Hancock & Illini West would be other options?

raeja
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by raeja » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Not sure how serious Farmington and Knoxville are about the proposal. However, if they did leave the P-Land, the P-Land would be much weaker than it already is in football. Most P-Land games Elmwood plays in are lopsided right now--big fish in a small pond. Not sure how travel would be with proposed conference or if it could be a football only move, but, E/B needs better competition.