Prairieland 2021

For the civil discussion of small school football.
Bresquire
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Prairieland 2021

Post by Bresquire »

So with the emergence of 8 man football and teams leaving. The look for the Prairieland Conference may change dramatically.
Teams for the 2020 season going to 8 man - Peoria Heights, with North Fulton leaving for 8 man last season, that's two gone.
Lewistown and South Fulton both having trouble with numbers, looking at possible COOP or going 8 man in 21. Knoxville and Abingdon are leaving for the LTC in 21. So that leaves Elmwood, Farmington, Bushnell\WP, Havana in the Blue division. That leaves only Illini West for sure in the Black Division, with a possible COOP of Lewistown\SF or possibility of them going to 8 man.
If that happens, the conference would be down to 5 football teams. Not sure what that does for scheduling, but sounds like a challenge. Haven't heard of any schools in the area looking to jump, should be interesting... stay tuned.

Bresquire
Respect the stripes!

Leatherneck

Re: Prairieland 2021

Post by Leatherneck »

Bresquire wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:26 am
So with the emergence of 8 man football and teams leaving. The look for the Prairieland Conference may change dramatically.
Teams for the 2020 season going to 8 man - Peoria Heights, with North Fulton leaving for 8 man last season, that's two gone.
Lewistown and South Fulton both having trouble with numbers, looking at possible COOP or going 8 man in 21. Knoxville and Abingdon are leaving for the LTC in 21. So that leaves Elmwood, Farmington, Bushnell\WP, Havana in the Blue division. That leaves only Illini West for sure in the Black Division, with a possible COOP of Lewistown\SF or possibility of them going to 8 man.
If that happens, the conference would be down to 5 football teams. Not sure what that does for scheduling, but sounds like a challenge. Haven't heard of any schools in the area looking to jump, should be interesting... stay tuned.

Bresquire
Illini West--and Rushville-Industry--will also be leaving the Prairieland, this time to return to the West Central, in 2021, according to this article:

https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... scrambling

Bresquire

Re: Prairieland 2020\2021\2022

Post by Bresquire »

Update on Prairieland Conference football shifting. This season will remain the same with two divisions, same teams, minus Peoria Heights going to 8man football. 21\22 season conference will go back to one division, with Knoxville and ATown leaving for Lincoln Trail Conf. Rushville& Illini West will stay on for football only. West Hancock will be added for football only. Which will leave Prairieland with 9 teams. Plan is to have one crossover with LTC instead of 2. Hopefully that will stay for awhile, or possibly adding someone to make it a 10 team with two divisions...
This is of course if we have football this season...Stay safe out there.

Bresquire
Respect the stripes!

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Bresquire wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:54 am
Rushville& Illini West will stay on for football only. West Hancock will be added for football only. Which will leave Prairieland with 9 teams.

Bresquire
So "West Central football" in 2021 will only consist of QND and Macomb?

Makes sense on R-I and IW's return to the WCC for the other sports (if indeed they are staying P-Land for football only).

Also, are Heights and North Fulton going to remain in the Prairieland for their other sports after moving to 8-man football?

(In addition, I have also heard that Peoria Christian and Heights are going to join the ICAC--which includes Brimfield, Elmwood and NF--for non-football sports--starting this coming season. Is Heights going to become the 4th dual ICAC/P-Land member or just switching solely to ICAC? Also, what about PCS--are they leaving the Tri-County to join the ICAC or becoming yet another dual conference member).

wolverine55
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by wolverine55 »

Has it been reported that West Hancock is officially in for 2021? I hadn’t seen that
Not that I know of...

RedDevil
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by RedDevil »

(In addition, I have also heard that Peoria Christian and Heights are going to join the ICAC--which includes Brimfield, Elmwood and NF--for non-football sports--starting this coming season. Is Heights going to become the 4th dual ICAC/P-Land member or just switching solely to ICAC? Also, what about PCS--are they leaving the Tri-County to join the ICAC or becoming yet another dual conference member).
[/quote]

From my source, PH is ICAC only as is PCS

nesland300

Post by nesland300 »

Macomb and West Hancock will join the Prairieland Conference for the 2021 spring football season (assuming it happens). West Hancock will remain for football permanently, for Macomb it's a one year deal. There will be two divisions based on enrollment:
Large: Bushnell/West Prairie, Elmwood/Brimfield, Farmington, Knoxville, Macomb, West Hancock
Small: Abingdon/Avon, Havana, Illini West, Lewistown, Rushville/Industry, South Fulton
Weeks one and seven will be crossovers based on enrollment, the other five weeks will be in-division round robins.

Although it stresses this season's deal is temporary for Macomb, the KHQA article seems to tease the possibility of it being extended. I think that could work for the Prairieland, provided they can keep the right schools in the mix for the large/small split to work. If you can pull in a small school to replace A-Town (Brown County? Camp Point?) and a bigger school to replace Knoxville (QND? Beardstown?), plus maybe one more small school if/when Lewistown and South Fulton team up, I think it could settle into something workable for the longer term.

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

nesland300 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:53 pm
Macomb and West Hancock will join the Prairieland Conference for the 2021 spring football season (assuming it happens). West Hancock will remain for football permanently, for Macomb it's a one year deal. There will be two divisions based on enrollment:
Large: Bushnell/West Prairie, Elmwood/Brimfield, Farmington, Knoxville, Macomb, West Hancock
Small: Abingdon/Avon, Havana, Illini West, Lewistown, Rushville/Industry, South Fulton
Weeks one and seven will be crossovers based on enrollment, the other five weeks will be in-division round robins.

Although it stresses this season's deal is temporary for Macomb, the KHQA article seems to tease the possibility of it being extended. I think that could work for the Prairieland, provided they can keep the right schools in the mix for the large/small split to work. If you can pull in a small school to replace A-Town (Brown County? Camp Point?) and a bigger school to replace Knoxville (QND? Beardstown?), plus maybe one more small school if/when Lewistown and South Fulton team up, I think it could settle into something workable for the longer term.
Any of those 4 teams are wayyyy to far outside of the region. You would see other teams leave if those were on the table.

Look for some of the teams closer to Peoria to go join/merge/work with the LTC.

nesland300

Post by nesland300 »

tombs14 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:26 pm
nesland300 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Any of those 4 teams are wayyyy to far outside of the region. You would see other teams leave if those were on the table.

I think the Peoria area teams going more towards the LTC route is inevitable anyway. If/when that happens, the football map shifts west and south quite a bit.
I'll admit that QND and Camp Point are a stretch, but for most of the remaining schools, Beardstown and Brown County are actually either a shorter drive or roughly equal compared to Farmington or Elmwood/Brimfield. It looks like for Lewistown and Bushnell it would be a slight overall increase (by about 15-20 min), but for the other schools it's either pretty much dead-on equal or a decrease.

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

[quote=nesland300 post_id=1559905 time=1597678485 user_id=26487]

I think the Peoria area teams going more towards the LTC route is inevitable anyway. If/when that happens, the football map shifts west and south quite a bit.
[/quote]

I can defintely see E/B (and Elmwood and Brimfield for the other non-coop sports) bolt to the LTC if the P-Land expands all the way to the Quincy area. Individually they would fit perfectly geographically and enrollment-wise in the LTC (Brimfield 233; Elmwood 223). They would also probably stay in the ICAC for their other sports too.

Farmington will likely be a tough sell for most of the smallest LTC teams, with 429 students (Mercer County has 391 and at this time is by far the largest LTC member; BTW Knoxville is 358). I think due to enrollment the Farmers remain stuck in the Prairieland or a P-Land/West Central configuration (with the likes of Macomb, WH, IW, R-I, maybe Beardstown, in addition to the smaller PLand schools).