EB vs Farmington

For the civil discussion of small school football.
tombs14
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

EB vs Farmington

Post by tombs14 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:04 pm

High scores or low scores? Both teams womping up on similar foes in the previous weeks. Will be interesting to see what translates, and if EB can get revenge for the past 3 years.

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Re: EB vs Farmington

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:16 pm

If the EB receivers would have made some catches off of what were spot on passes on HUGE 3rd downs, they would have been right there at the end. Too much butter on the toast I guess.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

SMmustang82
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by SMmustang82 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:59 am

Yes they dropped passes.. so did Farmers. EB needed to pass more. With 10 minutes left it was still a ball game. Kept running the ball for 2-3 yards a carry. Clock kept running. They have lost two straight now. Could be three in a row after next week

TheXfactor
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by TheXfactor » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 pm

SMmustang82 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:59 am
Yes they dropped passes.. so did Farmers. EB needed to pass more. With 10 minutes left it was still a ball game. Kept running the ball for 2-3 yards a carry. Clock kept running. They have lost two straight now. Could be three in a row after next week
You are correct, both teams dropped passes. But it was Farmington's running abilty that won the game. When passes are dropped by a team, more passing does not normally solve the problem. EB teams in the past could both run and pass efficiently against tough competition. EB's passing game would be benefited, in my opinion, by the ability to pass to the middle of the field with a 3-step drop by the QB, essentially causing the defense to defend the whole width of the field. I have not seen much of that.

SMmustang82
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by SMmustang82 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:25 pm

They caught more than they dropped. Running was going nowhere. That is why I said they should pass more. You are right about a three-step drop and getting the ball out quickly....Elmwood has limited themselves every year by not passing. Farmers did some of that with a wide receiver running slants. You are also correct about Farmers running the ball better. They are bigger up front on both sides of the line. With football numbers dropping for a variety of reasons, E/B could be in for some down years---has already started .

TheXfactor
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by TheXfactor » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:36 am

SMmustang82 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:25 pm
They caught more than they dropped. Running was going nowhere. That is why I said they should pass more. You are right about a three-step drop and getting the ball out quickly....Elmwood has limited themselves every year by not passing. Farmers did some of that with a wide receiver running slants. You are also correct about Farmers running the ball better. They are bigger up front on both sides of the line. With football numbers dropping for a variety of reasons, E/B could be in for some down years---has already started .
EB has been beaten by 3 teams, 2 of those were predominately run, and I will call Farmington a more balanced offense. EB has had teams that were very balanced in the past even if pass plays were minimal. Don't get me wrong, I love watching a good passing game. But what teams need to be successful is balance. However, if you are 1-dimensional, you are more successful in the end as a predominately run team in high school, that has been proven over and over.

SMmustang82
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by SMmustang82 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Elmwood has never been balanced. They beat up teams in a very weak conference by being bigger. They have been eliminated in the playoffs by teams like Farmington and Monticello who had passing QBs. This year they are not as big on the offensive or defensive lines and their scoring has dropped .

TheXfactor
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by TheXfactor » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:06 pm

SMmustang82 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:34 pm
Elmwood has never been balanced. They beat up teams in a very weak conference by being bigger. They have been eliminated in the playoffs by teams like Farmington and Monticello who had passing QBs. This year they are not as big on the offensive or defensive lines and their scoring has dropped .
I think you may have missed my point. Elmwood has been very balanced in the past with the team's ability to pass or run when called upon. That doesn't mean the play calling is always balanced, that is another point of discussion. Farmington was blasted by a very balanced EB team that could do it all in the 2011 season. The Monticello game was a very well played game overall and yes, that QB was one of the best high school passers I have seen.
I believe the reason scoring has dropped off is because past teams had a stronger running threat and that benefited the success of the passing attack.
One last point, the double wing offense, when run properly, actually benefits average teams and gives them an edge over tougher competition. There are high school coaches out there that would love to run it but are afraid they can't teach it properly. I was skeptical of it at one time, but I have seen it work.
Thanks for your response.

tombs14
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by tombs14 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:54 pm

In the end - both teams got embarrassed in Week 1 of the play-offs.

SMmustang82
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by SMmustang82 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:32 pm

Prairieland is one of the weakest conferences around. Constantly surprised by how often the teams get a high seeding. Illini West the only PLand team to win?

TheXfactor
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by TheXfactor » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:19 am

tombs14 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:54 pm
In the end - both teams got embarrassed in Week 1 of the play-offs.

Going into week 7 of the regular season, both teams were state ranked??? I realize that was probably based on their record but is anyone able to evaluate teams on how they actually play? Neither team impressed me that much, but what do I know. Princeton comes from an hour away with a 6-3 record and easily moves on, no doubt realizing their chances in round 2 aren't very good. That impresses me as a group of guys that love the game of Football!

In the end, its not about wins and losses but its how you win and lose.