Next Years Mid Illini

For the civil discussion of large school football.
BIRDGRAD87
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: Next Years Mid Illini

Post by BIRDGRAD87 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:18 am

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 am
cutter752 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 am
Anyone know who Metamora's non-conference opponents will be this year?
No. Still no week 1 game. :(
Elgin St Edward Central Catholic for week one, Jerseyville week 2. Both nonconference games are away this year :o . Week one in Chicago land and week 2 near St Louis. Going to be some late nights getting home.
If they can blame guns for killing people then I can blame my keyboard for misspellings.

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 pm

BIRDGRAD87 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:18 am
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
cutter752 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 am
Anyone know who Metamora's non-conference opponents will be this year?
Elgin St Edward Central Catholic for week one, Jerseyville week 2. Both nonconference games are away this year :o . Week one in Chicago land and week 2 near St Louis. Going to be some late nights getting home.
.Well worth the inconvenience of the drive for two fairly easy wins.

BIRDGRAD87

Post by BIRDGRAD87 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 am

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 pm
BIRDGRAD87 wrote:
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
With the conference schedule this year the varsity only has 3 home games.
If they can blame guns for killing people then I can blame my keyboard for misspellings.

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40 am

The Truth Be Told wrote:
BIRDGRAD87 wrote:
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Not worth it to me.....I'll be watching different games closer to home....Might even root for the Panthers

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:01 pm

The Truth Be Told wrote:
BIRDGRAD87 wrote:
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
For one whom seems to pay a decent amount of attention to the doings of the Redbirds you are a little off the mark on this one. For the Metamora teams a decade ago your assessment would be spot on and Redbird fans would be merely passing the time until the running clock started. While Metamora may very well be favorites in both games the days of seeing the Bird on the helmet and equating it to a win are over. Metamora will be replacing quite a bit both ways including the QB who saw most of the time in the three playoff games. Bird fans are optimistic about the year but as you well know until a player proves himself on the varsity level one can really never know exactly what they have.

Bird fans remember all too well the season opener in 2011 against an undersized Central Catholic team who was obviously playing up a class and then some as a result of the multiplier. The result was Redbird Nation driving home on I-74 that night with their tail feathers between their legs. No reason why that scenario could not repeat itself against St. Edwards as the school is eerily similar to Central Catholic.

Enjoy feasting on some Pioneers for years to come. :lol:
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 am

.Now Reggie be nice. ;) The Pioneers wanted in and approached the conference. Fwiw it beats playing the Railsplitters. Interesting the Pioneers and the Greenwave have something in common unless it has changed neither field a freshman team. Redbirds by 17 plus in game one and 21 plus in game 2 regardless if you run the same four offensive plays the entire time. ;)

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 am

.Now Reggie be nice. ;) The Pioneers wanted in and approached the conference. Fwiw it beats playing the Railsplitters. Interesting the Pioneers and the Greenwave have something in common unless it has changed neither field a freshman team. Redbirds by 17 plus in game one and 21 plus in game 2 regardless if you run the same four offensive plays the entire time. ;)

Bobby Thigpen
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:08 am

At it's current rate, no one will be fielding freshmen teams in 10 years because there won't be enough kids playing.

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:42 pm

.Fwiw here is Calpreps "Sneak Peak" projections for the conference.

#1 Canton

#2 Washington

#3 Metamora

#4 Dunlap

#5 Pekin

#6 Morton

#7 Limestone

#8 East Peoria

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 pm

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:42 pm

#1 Canton

#2 Washington

#3 Metamora

#4 Dunlap

#5 Pekin

#6 Morton

#7 Limestone

#8 East Peoria
FWIW Cal Preps as useless as always. Washington has a tremendous class that will be juniors and will once again be the class of the Mid-Illini.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:57 am

Reggie wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 pm
The Truth Be Told wrote:

#1 Canton

#2 Washington

#3 Metamora

#4 Dunlap

#5 Pekin

#6 Morton

#7 Limestone

#8 East Peoria
FWIW Cal Preps as useless as always. Washington has a tremendous class that will be juniors and will once again be the class of the Mid-Illini.
.Correct, thus I prefaced my post with Fwiw. While in season preps "hits" at over 80% computer generated formulas should always be taken with a grain of salt. It is not always about numbers. No better example of this is Cp's 2017 state rankings. SHG at # 4 and Rochester at #5. They are not....

Bobby Thigpen
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:25 am

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:57 am
Reggie wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 pm
The Truth Be Told wrote:

#1 Canton

#2 Washington

#3 Metamora

#4 Dunlap

#5 Pekin

#6 Morton

#7 Limestone

#8 East Peoria
.Correct, thus I prefaced my post with Fwiw. While in season preps "hits" at over 80% computer generated formulas should always be taken with a grain of salt. It is not always about numbers. No better example of this is Cp's 2017 state rankings. SHG at # 4 and Rochester at #5. They are not....
Calpreps still has us losing a game we won 4 years ago.

GoBirdsGo II
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Bobby Thigpen wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:08 am
At it's current rate, no one will be fielding freshmen teams in 10 years because there won't be enough kids playing.
All sports. Kids would rather have jobs for cars, i-phones, etc.
Knute Rockne .. "They'll give ya the ball and you just run with it." George Gip .. "How far?"

Bobby Thigpen
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 am

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 pm
Bobby Thigpen wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:08 am
All sports. Kids would rather have jobs for cars, i-phones, etc.
Meh. I think that's a cop out. On one level, I don't blame them. Playing sports has become a 12 month endeavor. HS coaches are running programs like they're in the SEC. That's pushing out a lot of casual players. Throw in that a lot of them have been in that "grind" for 5-8 years by the time they reach HS with youth sports and why should they still play? Because you or their parents want them too?

On the other hand, look at what they're seeing modeled by their parents. We're not exactly the most physically in shape nation. Kids develop the same lazy *** attitudes their parents have.

There were still cars and video games and all sorts of stuff 30 years ago, but kids still played sports.

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:04 am

Bobby Thigpen-Good stuff across the board in your post. When I was 10 in 1986 that was the first year they came up with the Pee Wee division and started letting 10 year old play JFL. Before that is was 11-14 or 6-8th grade basically. And now it's almost like they have a league for newborns. My two year old nephew and 3 year niece will be playing Soccer this Summer......Not sure teaching a two year old to NOT pick up a ball is a good thing. The first time I saw Flag JFL I wanted to cringe. It seems like grabbing flags just teaches kids to grab and want to arm tackle when they get older. I feel the same way about Tee Ball...talk about learning bad hitting techniques early. I'm not a Millennial but I will depend them. They didn't invent Elf on a Shelf or everyone gets a trophy. The parents did and that includes my own generation the Gen Xers. I always read (and am even guilty of saying it myself) "Kids Today" well the kids today learned from watching and be taught by us.
Roll Tide Roll

TheHouse

Post by TheHouse » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:09 pm

94 Knight wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:04 am
Bobby Thigpen-Good stuff across the board in your post. When I was 10 in 1986 that was the first year they came up with the Pee Wee division and started letting 10 year old play JFL. Before that is was 11-14 or 6-8th grade basically. And now it's almost like they have a league for newborns. My two year old nephew and 3 year niece will be playing Soccer this Summer......Not sure teaching a two year old to NOT pick up a ball is a good thing. The first time I saw Flag JFL I wanted to cringe. It seems like grabbing flags just teaches kids to grab and want to arm tackle when they get older. I feel the same way about Tee Ball...talk about learning bad hitting techniques early. I'm not a Millennial but I will depend them. They didn't invent Elf on a Shelf or everyone gets a trophy. The parents did and that includes my own generation the Gen Xers. I always read (and am even guilty of saying it myself) "Kids Today" well the kids today learned from watching and be taught by us.
On the flip side if taught properly flag players/soccer at early age teaches hand eye/foot eye coordination. I started a rule at my house that unless it's storming or freezing you have to be outside playing. I don't care what but get out and play. But you are 100% right that it all falls on parents. Already teaching my kids 3,5,7&9 about embracing the process. No BCD and always OAR. We shall see how it pans out.

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:03 pm

The Process-One of my words.
Roll Tide Roll

allaboutthevoice
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by allaboutthevoice » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Canton will be looking for a new coach as Ryan Pearson has agreed to become the new football coach at Princeton High School.
Sometimes you're the bug, Sometimes you're the windshield. -Lawrence Taylor

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:52 pm

allaboutthevoice wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm
Canton will be looking for a new coach as Ryan Pearson has agreed to become the new football coach at Princeton High School.
Too bad. That's gonna be a blow to the Canton program.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

TheHouse

Post by TheHouse » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Does anyone else think that going from Canton to Princeton is a move backwards as a football coach?

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:39 pm

TheHouse wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:20 pm
Does anyone else think that going from Canton to Princeton is a move backwards as a football coach?
It depends what the teaching job is.

allaboutthevoice
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by allaboutthevoice » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:39 am

He will be the high school PE teacher.
Sometimes you're the bug, Sometimes you're the windshield. -Lawrence Taylor

Bobby Thigpen
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 am

TheHouse wrote:
No.

Maybe a lateral move, but certainly not backward. I would imagine pay is better, at worst the same, you're not the small dog in the conference at Princeton and I'm sure there were personal matters involved. I don't know anything about either community, but perhaps there are trends in each community that also factored into the decision?

I don't think there are many people that will view Canton as a uber desirable job.

CIS
All World
All World

Post by CIS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Kind of interesting move with Canton returning eight starters from their team last year. As Pekin guy, kind of glad to see him go since his offense gave Pekin fits (of course many offenses do! :D ). Maybe he feels that that he can do more at Princeton since Canton is the smallest school in the MI...or maybe there are personal reasons. Too bad for Canton as they got a really good coach who only stayed a few years...

GoBirdsGo II
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 pm

TheHouse wrote:
In the last 10 years Canton went 38-62 while Princeton went 30-70 and IMHO, I'd still say it's not backwards. Personally, big picture, all things involved, I'd much rather be in Princeton than Canton. Again, IMHO.

FYI, just a few years back Princeton put in wonderful new end zone to end zone bleachers. If Pearson can somehow talk them into turf, it would be one heckuva stadium.

I would have to think next years Jr's & Sr's for Canton are devastated. Feel bad for them as they really seemed to have just gotten the ball rolling. 10-3 the last two seasons.

Will be interesting to see who applies and Canton hires. Possibly a lot of schools looking for a new coach with the possible trickle down effect.
Knute Rockne .. "They'll give ya the ball and you just run with it." George Gip .. "How far?"