Babcook Field

For the civil discussion of large school football.
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Babcook Field

Post by Reggie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:13 pm

The visiting bleachers have been replaced within the last decade. They were a green wooden bleacher once upon a time but are not metal. I believe the east is also metal now if I recall correctly. Not sure if they were replaced at the same time as the visiting bleachers but it would make sense that they were.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Cristobal
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Yes, both sides had the green wood bleachers that were repainted several times. The newer seating was a temporary fix until they can make changes to the facility. Yes, after the Panther Plex was built, the bleachers were to be put in. The spring after the tornado was the start date. A lot of the help came from volunteers but rebuilding Washington continued to take away from any volunteer help for the bleachers. It also looked bad that Washington received new bleachers when many still were without homes. So that's when the push backs happened. Money was already set aside and from what I hear is that the money is still there and can't be used for anything else. Everything else they redone has been completed since the tornado but the bleachers. I find the whole thing crazy. The only thing I can think of is Washington needs something else and putting new bleachers in would look bad. I'm at a loss.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

obbc
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by obbc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:27 pm

The "new bleachers" are the old ones just covered or replaced with Aluminum kind of like putting on siding. the janitorial staff did the work several years before 2013 as a "temporary fix". Lots of things are temp at WCHS --- Where is the Script W that was supposed to be in the middle of the field? Now if it helped the band or soccer -----

Ripple Effect
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:15 pm

The bleachers on both sides at Babcook are treacherous. They flex and twist in places, planks have popped up (seen too many people trip) and the student section has at least one bleacher that has a split in it. I cannot believe they pass any sort of inspection. It's embarrassing the state of the facilities with exception of the playing surface and the Plex. As an alum, fan and tax payer, I think it's time to follow through on getting the updates done.

TheHouse

Post by TheHouse » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Sat on the visitor bleachers yesterday watching my son at camp. Noticed many cracks in the bleachers. I agree as a tax payer let's get this fixed. Who do we talk to? And I'll offer up free labor as well

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:01 am

Ripple Effect wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:15 pm
The bleachers on both sides at Babcook are treacherous. They flex and twist in places, planks have popped up (seen too many people trip) and the student section has at least one bleacher that has a split in it. I cannot believe they pass any sort of inspection. It's embarrassing the state of the facilities with exception of the playing surface and the Plex. As an alum, fan and tax payer, I think it's time to follow through on getting the updates done.
Those inspections are a joke. To my knowledge the only bleachers that have been condemned through an inspection were the old Metamora visiting bleachers which had been moved from the old Malone Field. Morton's visiting bleachers were so unsafe that I would not allow my daughter to attend a game there yet year after year they barely passed the inspection. So Washington's bleachers are just fine! 8 )
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

CIS
All World
All World

Post by CIS » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:00 pm

TheHouse wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:51 pm
Sat on the visitor bleachers yesterday watching my son at camp. Noticed many cracks in the bleachers. I agree as a tax payer let's get this fixed. Who do we talk to? And I'll offer up free labor as well
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen - I would think for that alone that the district would want to take care of the problem

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm thinking with the uncertainty of Springfield funding schools, even though they (Springfield) gets the income from all the different taxes they claim to be for schools, they may be waiting to find out if they'll be getting the funding their supposed to get.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Cristobal

Post by Cristobal » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 am

My impression is the money has already been allocated for the bleachers years ago and can't go into other projects or funding. That would rule out Springfield. The money didn't include construction but that was taken care of by Washington residents pre-tornado. I'm sure the help with construction is ready to go now.

Hell, it feels normal now to have bleachers that work like rocking chairs.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm

O&B 78 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:44 pm
I'm thinking with the uncertainty of Springfield funding schools, even though they (Springfield) gets the income from all the different taxes they claim to be for schools, they may be waiting to find out if they'll be getting the funding their supposed to get.
.Much of the funding for schools in Illinois comes from property taxes, which the guv says are highest in the country. If he gets what he wants in his "grand bargain" including a property tax freeze (I believe he wants four years) the added stress of cities not being able to vote for a raise to keep schools afloat could be devastating.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't think, as I understand it, that the amount going to Springfield is the problem. It's getting the money back from them due to the budget impasse and the amount of debt they have built up living on the "credit card".
I read the back of the Book, You lose.