QND Football:

For the civil discussion of large school football.
GoBirdsGo II
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

QND Football:

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:04 am

Quincy Notre Dame’s Bill Connell steps down as football coach after 26 seasons, 186 wins, and 21 playoff appearances.
I would have to think this will be a position many will apply for. If they don't have someone in house already.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

IrishCatholic

Re: QND Football:

Post by IrishCatholic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:31 am

Quincy Notre Dame hires Jack Cornell (Offensive Lineman; QND 2007, Univ. of Illinois 2013, Baltimore Ravens, Oakland Raiders)

Comes as no surprise, many have speculated Cornell would replace Connell for quite some time now.
QND remains without a true conference affiliation as the intact but useless West Central Conference remaining members lies at 3 schools (QND, West Hancock, Macomb). QND also has the same problem many small private schools, and small schools in general, are facing with numbers well below the 50 mark. When Jack Cornell was a senior at QND the roster sat somewhere between 90-100. Last year's QND roster had just 39 boys listed frosh thru senior. This atop a generally tough (mostly) independent schedule are going to be some of the things Coach Cornell has to deal with initially.

QND 2018 Football Schedule

W1 @ Lexington (Mo.) (3h 9m)
W2 @ Rock Island Alleman (2h 40m)

W3 vs. Geneseo
W4 @ West Hancock (40m)
W5 @ Westmont (4h 40m)
W6 vs. Breese Mater Dei
W7 vs. Macomb
W8 @ Charleston (3h 20m)
W9 vs. Quincy Senior

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:53 pm

best of luck to QND and Coach Cornell. I miss QND/RHS every year.

IrishCatholic

Post by IrishCatholic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:18 am

Indeed... those were the days. When PND and Central were sort of doormats and QND vs. Richwoods was the conference title game every year it seemed. Those were always fist fights from what I remember. Although I remember a certain talented RB torching the Raiders for a couple years, or more. I also believe Coach Cornell got a taste of Richwood's "brand" of football when the Raiders first joined the WB6 in 2006.

QND could hardly compete with 5A/6A programs these days. There was a day the Raiders were capable of competing and beating (on occasion) some pretty good football teams larger than them or with more pedigree. Richwoods being towards or at the top of that list of programs. The assembly line of lineman and 1200+ yd RBs is no more. Rochester and Highland are the 4A standard and QND's (Connell's) philosophy of "be bigger and meaner" just isn't enough any more. Hopefully Coach Cornell will introduce the old time Raider faithful to some new era football. But as a former offensive lineman, I believe his philosophy entails much of the same, tradition, weight training, and smashmouth football. We shall see...

Best of luck to Knights football on the upcoming campaign.

The Truth Be Told
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by The Truth Be Told » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:52 am

IrishCatholic wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:18 am
Indeed... those were the days. When PND and Central were sort of doormats and QND vs. Richwoods was the conference title game every year it seemed. Those were always fist fights from what I remember. Although I remember a certain talented RB torching the Raiders for a couple years, or more. I also believe Coach Cornell got a taste of Richwood's "brand" of football when the Raiders first joined the WB6 in 2006.

QND could hardly compete with 5A/6A programs these days. There was a day the Raiders were capable of competing and beating (on occasion) some pretty good football teams larger than them or with more pedigree. Richwoods being towards or at the top of that list of programs. The assembly line of lineman and 1200+ yd RBs is no more. Rochester and Highland are the 4A standard and QND's (Connell's) philosophy of "be bigger and meaner" just isn't enough any more. Hopefully Coach Cornell will introduce the old time Raider faithful to some new era football. But as a former offensive lineman, I believe his philosophy entails much of the same, tradition, weight training, and smashmouth football. We shall see...

Best of luck to Knights football on the upcoming campaign.
.Private schools everywhere are losing enrollment which has had a cumulative effect on athletics. Even with (non athletic) financial support that most Catholic schools offer numbers still decrease. Interestingly enough many public schools to some extent are having losses in students. The economy is front and center as the exodus out of Illinois by families continue. With many Catholics who in the past would send their children into private school now choosing the public option, bad times ahead continue.

At one time I had hoped to see the CS8 hook up with QND with football. That would of been fun although a hard sell for the publics in conference adding another Catholic team. I believe the Raiders at that period of time could of done well finishing on a regular basis in the upper half of the CS8. But the times are changing for everyone. Even SHG continues with enrollment issues being the smallest school in the CS8. The future for all is going to be interesting.

IrishCatholic

Post by IrishCatholic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:44 am

I agree.

The smallest of the downstate Catholic schools will feel the most heat early on. But there are so many factors causing the decline that you can't just focus on one and blame it as the root cause. Exodus, public perception of private education, lack of church/religion in the home, rising costs to educate a student, rising tuition costs, extra fees on top of tuition, transportation costs, and on and on and on.

I can only speak for QND, but the decline has come and gone but is forever a threat. 12 years ago, when the newly hired Jack Cornell was a senior in high shcool, QND sat at somewhere around 450 students. By 2012 that number had dipped below 400. It jumped back up to the 410-420 range the past few years with larger freshman classes. Quincy had, as recently as the late 1990s-early 2000s, 6 or 7 Catholic grade schools. That number sits at 4 now (St. Peter, Blessed Sacrament, St. Francis, St. Dominic). I know there has been talk of closing St. Dominic in recent years. Although with Quincy moving it's population east I'm not sure what has or ever will come of that. Numbers in Quincy the city as a whole will never rise again. Poor recent city leadership mixed with an aging population mixed with a lack of youthful influx mixed with declining industry and jobs is what most rural "cities" are facing.

It's simply an ongoing issue that won't soon be gone. I hope and pray that we can see a "boom" at some point but it's hard to feel positive that something like that will ever happen.