Mid Illini Preview

For the civil discussion of large school football.
Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Mid Illini Preview

Post by Ripple Effect » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:44 am

Summer workouts are underway and I know many of us are ready for it to be late August and ready for the season. What does your MI team look like for the upcoming season?

Washington-several returning starters from a 5A final 4 team. The OL returns 4 starters. Return Starters QB Fisher, RB Walter, RB Durr,
WR Ludolph. DL returns 3 starters. 1 LB and
3 DB’s. Good size up front on offense and really talented skilled positions. Overall team speed is average. Walter the only high level speed threat.
I think this team can win the MI and may be favored to do so by most. It will be interesting to see if they continue the run it down your throat approach again this season or mix it up. Washington has the ability to be right back where they were last season. I know a couple of past 6A schools that may drop back down into 5A this season that could possibly put a twist into that bracket

Cristobal
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: Mid Illini Preview

Post by Cristobal » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:53 am

What makes you think Washington will be in 5A this year? I’ll be a amazed if they are. If they do, it will be their last year.

Anyway, I’m excited. This is the team we’ve been watching and waiting for for awhile. Should be good in 5A or 6A.

I’d look out for Morton though. Pekin has some young talent as well.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:45 am

You can basically pencil Pekin in for their usual mediocre 4-5 or 5-5 record (5-4 regular season and opening 46-14 playoff loss :D )
They have a nice QB in Righi and have some nice size, especially with Trumpy lad - 6'6 330 pound tackle who is getting some D1 looks. But somehow Pekin never really puts the pieces together to make serious run at the top and maybe win a playoff game or two. I look for Washington to make the top in league and have deep playoff run. However, Morton and Dunlap would seem to have enough coming back to give challenge to Washington.....

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:28 pm

I may be a MS4/6/8/9/10 B12 guy but I have to say the MI in 2018 should be a lot of fun! Washington has too much back not to run the table and make another very deep run in the playoffs and definitely a contender to hoist a State Title. But spots 2-6 in the MI will be a very competitive log jam. I'm going to put EP and Limestone at the bottom (sorry guys) in the 7 and 8 spots. Morton should be very competitive again and Metamora has a habit of being sneaky good in those odd years when they are not favored to win the MI. Dunlap will be a bit of a question mark, just how much did they lose and how much experience did the JRs and Soph's gain from a trip to State? I think Pekin will be very competitive and Canton will be a bit of a question mark.

1 Washington
2/3/4 Morton, Metamora, or Dunlap
5/6 Pekin or Canton
7/8 EP and Limestone

net
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by net » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm

94 Knight wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:28 pm
I may be a MS4/6/8/9/10 B12 guy but I have to say the MI in 2018 should be a lot of fun! Washington has too much back not to run the table and make another very deep run in the playoffs and definitely a contender to hoist a State Title. But spots 2-6 in the MI will be a very competitive log jam. I'm going to put EP and Limestone at the bottom (sorry guys) in the 7 and 8 spots. Morton should be very competitive again and Metamora has a habit of being sneaky good in those odd years when they are not favored to win the MI. Dunlap will be a bit of a question mark, just how much did they lose and how much experience did the JRs and Soph's gain from a trip to State? I think Pekin will be very competitive and Canton will be a bit of a question mark.

1 Washington
5/6 Pekin or Canton
7/8 EP and Limestone
washington hoist a trophy in 6a? not a chance.

Cristobal

Post by Cristobal » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:37 pm

CIS wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:45 am
You can basically pencil Pekin in for their usual mediocre 4-5 or 5-5 record (5-4 regular season and opening 46-14 playoff loss :D )
They have a nice QB in Righi and have some nice size, especially with Trumpy lad - 6'6 330 pound tackle who is getting some D1 looks. But somehow Pekin never really puts the pieces together to make serious run at the top and maybe win a playoff game or two. I look for Washington to make the top in league and have deep playoff run. However, Morton and Dunlap would seem to have enough coming back to give challenge to Washington.....
Pekin also has a sophomore named Sample, I believe that’s his name. He will play up and make a lot of heads turn. That boy will be hard to stop.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

Cristobal

Post by Cristobal » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm

net wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm
94 Knight wrote:

1 Washington
5/6 Pekin or Canton
7/8 EP and Limestone
washington hoist a trophy in 6a? not a chance.
Small fish, big pond. If Washington didn’t play both sides of the ball, I may think differently.

Cristobal

Post by Cristobal » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:47 pm

94 Knight wrote:

1 Washington
5/6 Pekin or Canton
7/8 EP and Limestone
1/2 Washington and Morton. Both have a very talented class.
3/4 Pekin and perhaps Dunlap. I think Dunlap lost a ton.
5 Metamora, you never know about those birdies. Basketball #1 without a doubt. :evil:
6 Canton
7 EP
8 Limestone, they hardly have enough to field a team.

quince
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by quince » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Cristobal wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:47 pm
94 Knight wrote:

1 Washington
5/6 Pekin or Canton
7/8 EP and Limestone
1/2 Washington and Morton. Both have a very talented class.
3/4 Pekin and perhaps Dunlap. I think Dunlap lost a ton.
5 Metamora, you never know about those birdies. Basketball #1 without a doubt. :evil:
6 Canton
7 EP
8 Limestone, they hardly have enough to field a team.
I would probably put Dunlap ahead of Pekin. Otherwise, agree 100%.

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 am

94 Knight wrote:

1 Washington
5/6 Pekin or Canton
7/8 EP and Limestone
.6A will be loaded even more so from a "new" addition. It appears Phillips is planning to once again petition up into .... class 6A this season. They have till I believe (per Ihsa rules) the first week of September to make the jump. Speaking of the Wildcats they are taking their campaign on the road in week one traveling to Ohio where they will play powerhouse Pinkerington Central. The game will be nationally televised Sunday August 26th on ESPN. Phillips coach Troy McAllister is on record earlier this year stating he wants to win titles in the remaining upper classes.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:39 am

Cristobal wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:37 pm
CIS wrote:
Pekin also has a sophomore named Sample, I believe that’s his name. He will play up and make a lot of heads turn. That boy will be hard to stop.
I saw only one freshman game last year for Pekin and didn't notice anybody that really stood out. Who is this player that you are talking about? What are his skills?

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Cristobal wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:53 am
What makes you think Washington will be in 5A this year? I’ll be a amazed if they are. If they do, it will be their last year.
Enrollments have been listed. Using 2017 cutoffs.
Pekin - 1824 (6A)
Washington - 1340 (5A)
Dunlap - 1304 (5A)
Limestone - 1009 (5A)
East Peoria - 983 (5A)
Metamora - 980 (5A)
Morton - 923 (5A)
Canton - 700 (4A)

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:45 pm

I don't know if Pekin will go down this year but it would be nice to see Pekin go to 6A - not that they will do much in 6A but there is no way in hades that they can win in 7A against 7A Chicago suburban schools or St. Louis area schools like Edwardsville. Like I said, they won't do much better at 6A but at least they should be somewhat more competitive. Also, Pekin might play closer to home being in 6A....

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:23 pm

CIS wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:45 pm
Pekin might play closer to home being in 6A....
Maybe on a nice turf field in Springfield. ;)

net
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by net » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Oskee wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:23 pm
CIS wrote:
shs' practice field is turf. :td

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Oskee wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:51 pm
Cristobal wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:53 am
Enrollments have been listed. Using 2017 cutoffs.
Pekin - 1824 (6A)
Washington - 1340 (5A)
Dunlap - 1304 (5A)
Limestone - 1009 (5A)
East Peoria - 983 (5A)
Metamora - 980 (5A)
Morton - 923 (5A)
Canton - 700 (4A)
Last years cutoff for 6A was 1740 - so I think Pekin will probably still be 7A. But IF their enrollment keeps shrinking, the next year or two they could be 6A. The school has lost 1400 students from when I played back in the 1970's. In fact Pekin's enrollment is the lowest since the late 1950's. I saw where Galesburg was down to 1300 or so, they had almost 2800 when we played them back the 1970's...amazing how some schools have lost enrollment. Quincy, Moline and Rock Island are down big time. Richwoods had 2400 in the mid 1970's, East Peoria had 2000 back in 1970. Limestone used to be 1600 or so in the early 1970's....Washington is growing but even they had over 1500 or 1600 back in the late 1970's when they joined the MS-9. It seems Morton is about where they were back in the 1970's - in the 900's. and Metamora has grown by a few hundred since the 1970's but they don't seem to be growing much at this point. Dunlap has probably grown the most of any downstate school...they used to be a 1A school back in the 1970's with maybe 200 students!

Cristobal

Post by Cristobal » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:24 am

CIS wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:39 am
Cristobal wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:37 pm
CIS wrote:
I saw only one freshman game last year for Pekin and didn't notice anybody that really stood out. Who is this player that you are talking about? What are his skills?

He scored 6 or 7 on us alone last year. He play RB, WR and forgot defense position.

Cristobal

Post by Cristobal » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:26 am

Oskee wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:23 pm
CIS wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:00 pm

I'll take the freshman star with a grain of salt as they say! :) I remember Pekin had a flash in the pan freshman back a few years back that was going to be the next Mike Adamle (if you remember him you are as old as I am! :joker ). The kid played some varsity and was okay, got into some trouble, transferred to a small school where he was nothing special. (Not trying to pick on the kid - just using as example) You never really know when it comes to freshman phenoms....hope the kid does pan out and have outstanding career.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Does anyone know what Dunlap has coming back from their outstanding team last year? Also, even though Metamora has not had their usual outstanding teams, I still never count out a Pat Ryan team and the program tradition. How does Metamora look for the upcoming fall?

quince
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by quince » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:14 pm

CIS wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 pm
Does anyone know what Dunlap has coming back from their outstanding team last year? Also, even though Metamora has not had their usual outstanding teams, I still never count out a Pat Ryan team and the program tradition. How does Metamora look for the upcoming fall?
I think Metamora's ceiling is a 6-3 finish, no better than 5th in conference. And, I could certainly see them doing worse. They have a lot of skill position players. They do not have a lot of talent up front.

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:49 pm

quince wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:14 pm
CIS wrote:
How does Metamora look for the upcoming fall?
I think Metamora's ceiling is a 6-3 finish, no better than 5th in conference. And, I could certainly see them doing worse. They have a lot of skill position players. They do not have a lot of talent up front.
I'll say 6-3 would likely land them better than 5th place. ;) A pretty fair summary otherwise. The Redbirds return Sr. Thomas Hall at QB, a solid crew of receivers including Jon Nelson, John Gatton and RBs Logan McClure, Vinnie Quercigrossa (also backup QB). Eric Reinertsen and Joe Burch are a pair of solid returning linemen, but quince is correct when he says there isn't great depth up front. Ryan Vogel is a reliable PK and played well at CB late in 2017.

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:58 pm

CIS wrote:
Does anyone know what Dunlap has coming back from their outstanding team last year?
Starters returning at 6 positions from title game including Josiah Miamen both ways. Graduated a large football group (30+?)

quince
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by quince » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Oskee wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:49 pm
quince wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:14 pm
CIS wrote:
How does Metamora look for the upcoming fall?
I'll say 6-3 would likely land them better than 5th place. ;) A pretty fair summary otherwise. The Redbirds return Sr. Thomas Hall at QB, a solid crew of receivers including Jon Nelson, John Gatton and RBs Logan McClure, Vinnie Quercigrossa (also backup QB). Eric Reinertsen and Joe Burch are a pair of solid returning linemen, but quince is correct when he says there isn't great depth up front. Ryan Vogel is a reliable PK and played well at CB late in 2017.
Jon Nelson quit football, and Gatton can’t seem to stay healthy.

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:13 pm

quince wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Jon Nelson quit football
That's a shame. He's a difference maker on either side with this group.
quince wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Gatton can’t seem to stay healthy.
True, to this point. Just hope he can put it together.