Mid Illini Preview

For the civil discussion of large school football.
quince
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: Mid Illini Preview

Post by quince » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:13 pm

Oskee wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:13 pm
quince wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Jon Nelson quit football
That's a shame. He's a difference maker on either side with this group.
Meh.

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Its been a hell of a run for Pat and his birds over the years.
Wished it woulda gone on forever but everything runs in cycles I guess
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
General George Patton

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:06 pm

4MBirdz wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:00 pm
He should stick around. When the district proposal passes, WHICH IT WILL PASS, with the district Metamora is supposedly in, he'll get 7-8 wins every year with little to no effort. He could have 400+ wins when it's all said & done.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

TheHouse
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by TheHouse » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:06 pm
4MBirdz wrote:
He should stick around. When the district proposal passes, WHICH IT WILL PASS, with the district Metamora is supposedly in, he'll get 7-8 wins every year with little to no effort. He could have 400+ wins when it's all said & done.
1st off Pat Ryan is still a great coach! And B what is this "proposal" you speak of

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:48 am

TheHouse wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 pm
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:06 pm
4MBirdz wrote:
1st off Pat Ryan is still a great coach! And B what is this "proposal" you speak of
IHSA is talking about getting rid of conferences for football and assigning teams to districts of projected same class schools.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 am

TheHouse wrote:
And B what is this "proposal" you speak of
First proposed a few years ago by Eureka principal. Would eliminate conferences for football only and schedule based on 8 or 9 team districts divided by enrollment and geography. The current Mid-Illini would be broken into four districts.
Example of one proposal (using 2016-2017 enrollments)...
7A
Alton
Collinsville
East St. Louis
Granite City
Moline
Normal Community
Pekin
Quincy

6A
Dunlap
East Moline
Galesburg
Peoria Central
Peoria Notre Dame
Peoria Richwoods
Rock Island
Washington

5A
Bartonville Limestone
Champaign Central
East Peoria
Lincoln
Mahomet-Seymour
Metamora
Morton
Rantoul
Urbana

4A
Canton
Chillicothe IVC
Fairbury Prairie Central
Herscher
Kankakee Bishop McNamara
Normal U-High
Peoria Manual
Pontiac
(Add Eureka here if they consolidate with Roanoke-Benson?)

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 am

I read the back of the Book, You lose.

TheHouse

Post by TheHouse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks for reply. I wouldn t hate that scenario

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 am

Of those four districts, 6A would probably be the best for local teams as far as overall travel and local rivalry. 7A would be terrible for Normal and Pekin while 5A would not be a great league as far as travel and rivalry. There would be some long trips to M-S, Champaign, Urbana and Rantoul. It is also doubtful that many would get excited with such a league being so far flung. 4A travel would be no picnic for teams like Canton. While discussing this in another thread, I understand some of the thought going into this and some Midwest states have already gone to this but personally I would absolutely hate it. As a Pekin guy, I could only hope that the their enrollment keeps falling and the school ends in 6A - then at least Pekin could be in with several local schools.

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Man, Redbirds would roll right through that schedule. 6A group sure looks fun though! However, not a fan of fixing things that are not broke.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:42 pm

94 Knight wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:30 pm
Man, Redbirds would roll right through that schedule. 6A group sure looks fun though! However, not a fan of fixing things that are not broke.
If would be even funner if Pekin dropped to 6A and get put into Peoria area group. I would enjoy playing Richwoods again, and also seeing old time rival from 60's and 70's Galesburg. Notre Dame and Central would be fun to play again. You are right about Metamora, seeing that group, I am thinking 7-0 or 6-1 conference record every year! That being said, I still hope they continue the current conferences, I enjoy the current MI group....

young guns
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by young guns » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 pm

94 Knight wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:30 pm
Until they got to Morton. Lost 56-35 last year.

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Young Guns-Historically how has the Morton/Metamora series gone? I'll take the Potters again this year over the Redbirds but traditionally I'' take the 'Birds 8 out of 10 years.

CIS-I would love for a RHS/Pekin Non conf game soon. Not sure why the two teams haven't. I think the two programs have always had a mutual respect for each other and you know how I feel about the Pekin/RHS games and had the privilege of working for a boss who played in the '71 and '72 games for Richwoods and the excitement he still had for telling stories about those games.

I prefer the current method but for schools like Canton, IVC, and Manual this would be big. My only dislike is that the playoff points system works very well. You get rewarded for tough schedules. If my understanding is correct, the new system would send the top 4 teams per division to the playoffs regardless of records or strength of schedule. Not sure that is rewarding the best teams with a playoff spot.

peoria2chicago
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by peoria2chicago » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Wow. R.I.P. 7A and 4A school's gas budgets. There's a lot of pride in Canton to be playing it's Mid-Illini counter parts (and to still be in the MIC to be honest). While the competition would be easier for Canton, I don't think it would settle well in Little Giant country.
"Yeah but we're the coolest **** oxymoron you'll ever see. It's a great day to be a Little Giant!"

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:11 pm

Oskee wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 am
TheHouse wrote:
And B what is this "proposal" you speak of
(Add Eureka here if they consolidate with Roanoke-Benson?)
The Eureka/Roanoke-Benson consolidation is off the table now, as polls taken by each school late last winter showed a majority against consolidation and their school boards decided to drop the subject.

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm

TheHouse wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 am
Thanks for reply. I wouldn t hate that scenario
Minutes from the Football Advisory committee meeting from April are here:

http://www.ihsa.org/documents/adv%20min ... inutes.pdf

It appears that the proposal will be set up for a principals' vote in November. This is the furthest the proposal has gotten and it fits in with the changes in the enrollment classification set up (two-year average; all-four class sports having same cutoffs) Hard to tell how much support it would have in a vote, though probably more now than a few years ago.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 pm

This proposal to eliminate conferences for quadrants will kill attendance for casual fans. Playing local schools brings casual fans or at least has them follow the games online for bragging rights at work if nothing else. If you are Metamora, would you trade yearly Washington rivalry games for Rantoul, Urbana, Champaign Central, etc. where you don't know the opposing families from work, church, youth sports, etc.?
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:31 am

Redbird CC-My thoughts exactly! Even for someone who has been going to games since 1980 like me, I would be less interested if the team I followed played a lot of teams I have no interest in. 6A by far has the most local teams grouped together.

I also found it refreshing that Peoria2Chicago felt like Canton would benefit from the new Division but would rather play in the MI. That is kind of how I thought most Canton fans would feel.

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 pm
If you are Metamora, would you trade yearly Washington rivalry games
- From a financial standpoint of the two schools? No. If they choose, Metamora and Washington could schedule as their non-district game.
- Although Washington is Metamora's closest geographical rival, the Redbirds have actually faced off more times with Morton in program history. Morton would remain in Metamora's district.
- This is much bigger than Washington v Metamora. Conferences continue to dissolve and reform all in the name of football scheduling. Former NCIC schools went through 50 years of stability and now 10+ years of chaos.
- Metamora almost went without a week one opponent last year before Elgin St. Edward stepped up late. If this solves those problems it's worth a look.

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 am

.There will be an "out" of sorts when the district change occurs. That being a review for each district every two years. If it appears a team has been misplaced into a wrong district it can be moved. This of course will open a whole new can of worms. What would be the qualifiers for having to go to another district? Winning at an unacceptable rate could be one. Once again the IHSA having way to much leeway.

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 pm

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 am
.There will be an "out" of sorts when the district change occurs. That being a review for each district every two years. If it appears a team has been misplaced into a wrong district it can be moved. This of course will open a whole new can of worms. What would be the qualifiers for having to go to another district? Winning at an unacceptable rate could be one. Once again the IHSA having way to much leeway.
Districts will also shift every two years due to changes of enrollment from one class to another. It only takes one or two geographically key schools to move up or down and there will be a domino-effect of changes.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Oskee wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 am
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 pm
If you are Metamora, would you trade yearly Washington rivalry games
- From a financial standpoint of the two schools? No. If they choose, Metamora and Washington could schedule as their non-district game.
- Although Washington is Metamora's closest geographical rival, the Redbirds have actually faced off more times with Morton in program history. Morton would remain in Metamora's district.
- This is much bigger than Washington v Metamora. Conferences continue to dissolve and reform all in the name of football scheduling. Former NCIC schools went through 50 years of stability and now 10+ years of chaos.
- Metamora almost went without a week one opponent last year before Elgin St. Edward stepped up late. If this solves those problems it's worth a look.
From a financial standpoint, districts are going to hurt the attendance for many schools. The loss of revenue from attendance and the cost of added driving distances will I believe cause some schools to lose money on football. Look at Canton in new proposal - I don't know how their fans can get excited about any of these schools (maybe IVC since they are local and old rival). Sure if Canton is having a really good year the fans will turn out. But like most non football dynasties (Like Washington), Canton will have many more mediocre or losing seasons and what Canton fan wants to watch schools out of their area? At least in down years, Canton fans still want to see Metamora or Washington come to town. Schools like East Peoria/Limestone or Morton will have a decent amount of visiting fans from say Metamora, Washington or even Pekin show up for a game - you think Champaign or Rantoul fans are going to come to East Peoria or Morton?

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:46 pm

To be clear, I am not 100% behind the proposal of districts. I am in favor of looking at options and open discussion. What has to be determined is what is in the best interest of the majority not just a specific school we may have attended or cheer for. In 2017, Metamora played non-con games in the Chicago and St. Louis area. The Metamora Football boosters helped pay for charters for those trips. By comparison, a couple trips to the Champaign area in school buses doesn't sound bad.
As for finances...nothing comes close to the revenue generated by Washington trips to Malone every other season. It's why the MTHS administration never takes complaints seriously when there is a call to expand our visitor bleachers. "Why? They only fill up for Washington and an occasional playoff game."
I would be interested in what football districts would mean to realignment of conferences for all other sports. It seems we really went off the rails in the 2000's by breaking up conferences for the sake of a football schedule. Perhaps some of these schools that are traveling a little further for football could renew conference affiliations and save fuel across the board otherwise?

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Oskee wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:46 pm
To be clear, I am not 100% behind the proposal of districts. I am in favor of looking at options and open discussion. What has to be determined is what is in the best interest of the majority not just a specific school we may have attended or cheer for. In 2017, Metamora played non-con games in the Chicago and St. Louis area. The Metamora Football boosters helped pay for charters for those trips. By comparison, a couple trips to the Champaign area in school buses doesn't sound bad.
As for finances...nothing comes close to the revenue generated by Washington trips to Malone every other season. It's why the MTHS administration never takes complaints seriously when there is a call to expand our visitor bleachers. "Why? They only fill up for Washington and an occasional playoff game."
I would be interested in what football districts would mean to realignment of conferences for all other sports. It seems we really went off the rails in the 2000's by breaking up conferences for the sake of a football schedule. Perhaps some of these schools that are traveling a little further for football could renew conference affiliations and save fuel across the board otherwise?
Well that is one of the reasons why districts is proposed and I do understand that Oskee. You are right in that this proposal might restore sanity to conferences in other sports and bring back more geographical friendly conferences. We all know that many conferences, especially smaller downstate schools, have been wrecked in the last decade or so. Many are far flung schools that are together only because of football...so I do give a point for that!

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49 pm

The expression is politics are local, and while some schools have conference issues I don't see where a majority of schools would vote for this based on what I mentioned. I could even see a scenario that it could be polarizing enough that if passed schools may form their own leagues for football and leave the IHSA to get away from districts.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32