Pat Ryan’s choice

For the civil discussion of large school football.
4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Pat Ryan’s choice

Post by 4MBirdz »

Whispers of a Pat Ryan retirement at Metamora as their head football coach are everywhere.
Reportedly, Pat has made it known that this will happen in the not so distant future.
Pats the only one though who I believe will ( deservedly so) have a huge say so in who his successor will be.
When does PR retire? Only Pat probably knows that answer.
So the lingering question is:
Who will Pat want to take over the reigns?
I believe from what I have heard and seen is that Pat is a perfectionist, and a results oriented person. This being the case, I believe PR wants his successor to be of the same mindset.
So let’s delve into the question of who I think Pat would pick to be his successor.
The candidates that make the list off the top of my head would be as follows.
1) Herring
2) Delinski
3 Grebner
4) Elbert
Why these names? Well they check all the boxes (except one) that Pat would want.
a) They all played for Pat.
b) They all know the system that Pat has built and would continue to use that system... after all it has been very successful (so it makes the most sense).
c) They all have coaching experience (as assistants).
All of these names I think Pat would be very comfortable with taking over for him. And deservedly so.
But what 1 thing are all these names listed above missing? Well, getting back to what Pat is... Pat is a results oriented person right?
With this in mind the question then becomes this.
What results have all these names I gave had?
Yes they all have done a good job working hard to become successful as assistants for Pat. But other than that, what’s their track record for winning as a head coach at the varsity level? Answer: None.
Pat, being a results oriented guy may be thinking about this when he helps to decide his successor.
There is 1 name though that does check every box for Pat. This person has the one intangible that all these other names lack.
Listing the boxes:
a) Played for Pat
b) Knows the Metamora system.
c) This one is the biggie...He has coaching experience ( head coaching experience at the varsity level)
Not only does this person have coaching experience at the varsity level, but more importantly he has had tremendous success at this level.
Ok ok I won’t keep you waiting any longer.
The name I believe will be the next head coach at Metamora is none other than:
Jon Schlemmer
Schlemmer not only checks all the boxes, but it sure doesn’t hurt to add icing on the cake.
Schlemmers dad was an assistant for Pat for many years. This would be a thank you to his dad for his dedication to Metamora Football.
I may be wrong, it might well be one of Pats current assistants who gets the job. Going with my own instincts and that of PR being a results oriented type of person... I say the next head coach will be Jon Schlemmer.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
General George Patton

crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Pat Ryan’s choice

Post by crkamm »

Nice dream. Oh how I wish it could come true.

But I don't think there is any way to get Jon to give up his current job.

I do think the rest of your list is pretty accurate, but I'd have the order slightly different.

Personally I hope the administration will open it to outside candidates. But I don't think they will.
THE LEGEND! As crowned by Johnny Mac
Scientifically proven to be 1.84 X more intelligent than the "Officially recognized Smartest Poster on the Boards".
jmc wrote:you were advanced for your age.

Oskee
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Oskee »

All listed assistants are also currently employed as teachers at MTHS. Creating a teaching position to hire a head coach can get complicated.

ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ging »

i will kidnap coach schlemmer and hide him in my basement to prevent him from leaving shs! :D

and his dad too!
VCSOMB

Bigslim

Post by Bigslim »

I'm guessing it will be Delinski, if they hire from within.

How difficult would it be to hire Terbush as OC? Would he need a teaching position?

dabirds

Post by dabirds »

It's been rumored that Grebner is and has been groomed to take over.
2014 Large School Pick'em Champ

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Oskee wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 am
All listed assistants are also currently employed as teachers at MTHS. Creating a teaching position to hire a head coach can get complicated.
That makes sense. Whatever happened to Curt Ryan - wasn't that Pat's brother? Don't follow that closely but didn't he coach the F-S teams? Is he still at Metamora?

Oskee

Post by Oskee »

CIS wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:30 pm
Oskee wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 am
That makes sense. Whatever happened to Curt Ryan - wasn't that Pat's brother? Don't follow that closely but didn't he coach the F-S teams? Is he still at Metamora?
Began coaching the Frosh when JV replaced Sophs.

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

Jon schlemmer would be my choice, but doubt he can be convinced to return to MTHS. Hes pretty happy where he is.

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz »

dabirds wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm
I think Pat will go with his gut.
Pat never had any head coaching experience before landing the Metamora job himself ... and look how that turned out!
General George Patton

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

4MBirdz wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:14 am
dabirds wrote:
Pat never had any head coaching experience before landing the Metamora job himself ... and look how that turned out!
So does Pat have the final say? Im guessing no, but does anyone know? Who decides, the Board, AD, Pat??

net
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by net »

how old is coach ryan? one of the nicest guys i've had the pleasure of meeting.

Oskee

Post by Oskee »

cutter752 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:27 pm
4MBirdz wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:14 am
dabirds wrote:
So does Pat have the final say? Im guessing no, but does anyone know? Who decides, the Board, AD, Pat??
AD interviews and submits recommendation to BOE for approval.

Oskee

Post by Oskee »

net wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:57 am
MTHS class of '81...so mid-late 50s.

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz »

net wrote:
As a young lad growing up in the 70’s from Metamora I remember well ‘The Man Who Made Metamora’: His name is John Helmick. I remember my first autumn of going to Redbird games ( the fall of 1975). I remember the playoffs that year... we beat some good teams...the East St Louis win was the start of it all as far as I’m concerned.
That game, that year , that state championship started Metamora Football as we know it today.
Today, ‘Metamora Football’ is known throughout the state! The torch was passed on from Helmick to coach Ryan in 1990.
I had gotten away from even paying attention to Metamora Football by the late 80’s since, well basically they had become just another average high school football team that had lost that luster from the 70’s.
When Pat Ryan was named coach of Metamora in 1990’
I had my doubts... would Metamora name him as coach? After all Pat was just a holdover from a by gone era that had seemed to have past.Boy was I wrong!
By the middle 90’s Pat had Metamora back.
By 1996’ Pat had Metamora back in a championship game.. the first since 1977’ for the birds.
Since then I have been witness to one of the greatest stories in this area to take shape over the last 25 years.
Pat has given all of us Metamora fans a not only a taste of of that 70’s again... he has given us back our pride as well.
I for one will always remember these last 25 + years as a reason for being proud of being from Metamora.
Whoever takes the reigns over from Pat has big shoes to fill for sure...thanks to coach Ryan though this bird fan has sure enjoyed these last 25+ years.
May the next 25+ years be as eventful as the last 25 out at Metamora .. I have my doubts they could possibly eclipse the last 25 though.
General George Patton

Oskee

Post by Oskee »

4MBirdz wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 pm
net wrote:
As a young lad growing up in the 70’s from Metamora I remember well ‘The Man Who Made Metamora’: His name is John Helmick. I remember my first autumn of going to Redbird games ( the fall of 1975). I remember the playoffs that year... we beat some good teams...the East St Louis win was the start of it all as far as I’m concerned.
That game, that year , that state championship started Metamora Football as we know it today.
Your fondness for the memory of the Helmick era is understandable, but I think it does a disservice to the contributions of Marty Stromberger and some great teams of the 60's that didn't get to play in a State playoff system.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

You are right Oskee! Marty Stromberger was an outstanding coach at Metamora who laid the foundation of the program in the 1960's and early 1970's. After his first team went 0-9 in 1962, his next nine teams went 62-12 with two undefeated seasons and three one loss season. He was called the "father of Metamora football." People also tend to forget that Bill Roper coached the team between Stromberger and Helmick in 1972 & 73. Ropers 1973 team went 11-0! (no playoffs until 1974) The legendary Helmick took the program over in 1974 and continued the success that was already started. Helmick was a starting QB at Woodruff in 1958 and 1959 and played under legendary Warrior coach Virgil Boucher who coached 20 years at Woodruff. I am sure Helmick learned some stuff under Boucher. Helmick later on became an assistant coach at Woodruff. When a coaching opening occurred in the late 1960's the school did not hire Helmick but went a different direction. One wonders if Helmick could have turned around the program. Woodruff was gosh awful from the mid 1960's until the late 1970's. In fact the school went four years without a winning a game and at one time held the nations longest high school football losing streak. Helmick, like Stromberger, was a great coach and person. I think the following quote from a 2010 PJS article sums it up best. “He’ll always be Mr. Stromberger to me,” said Pat Ryan " “so when he comes to practices, you want to stand a little taller.”

Bigslim

Post by Bigslim »

CIS wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:39 pm
You are right Oskee! Marty Stromberger was an outstanding coach at Metamora who laid the foundation of the program in the 1960's and early 1970's. After his first team went 0-9 in 1962, his next nine teams went 62-12 with two undefeated seasons and three one loss season. He was called the "father of Metamora football." People also tend to forget that Bill Roper coached the team between Stromberger and Helmick in 1972 & 73. Ropers 1973 team went 11-0! (no playoffs until 1974) The legendary Helmick took the program over in 1974 and continued the success that was already started. Helmick was a starting QB at Woodruff in 1958 and 1959 and played under legendary Warrior coach Virgil Boucher who coached 20 years at Woodruff. I am sure Helmick learned some stuff under Boucher. Helmick later on became an assistant coach at Woodruff. When a coaching opening occurred in the late 1960's the school did not hire Helmick but went a different direction. One wonders if Helmick could have turned around the program. Woodruff was gosh awful from the mid 1960's until the late 1970's. In fact the school went four years without a winning a game and at one time held the nations longest high school football losing streak. Helmick, like Stromberger, was a great coach and person. I think the following quote from a 2010 PJS article sums it up best. “He’ll always be Mr. Stromberger to me,” said Pat Ryan " “so when he comes to practices, you want to stand a little taller.”
Awesome stuff, CIS. Thanks for sharing.

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz »

Oskee wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:34 am
4MBirdz wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 pm
net wrote:
Your fondness for the memory of the Helmick era is understandable, but I think it does a disservice to the contributions of Marty Stromberger and some great teams of the 60's that didn't get to play in a State playoff system.
Point well taken on the Stromberger era.
If memory serves correct, I believe PR made mention of Marty Stromberger being the real founder of what Metamora Football is today.
Forgive my naive ness for my personal experiences only go back as far as the mid 70’s.
General George Patton

oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

Everyone is reporting that Pat Ryan is retiring.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck »

Yep, Jim Mattson just posted that he has met with the team and told them that he is retiring.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

there is an article in the pjs, but i can only read one sentence, then they flood me with ads so cant read anymore...maybe they will post the link here

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

I can only get the pjs story/link for about 5 seconds, before an ad to subscribe to the pjs pops up and completley covers the article...

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

cutter752 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:43 pm

I can only get the pjs story/link for about 5 seconds, before an ad to subscribe to the pjs pops up and completley covers the article...
You only get a few free trial articles per month then you get cut off
I read the back of the Book, You lose.