Pat Ryan’s choice

For the civil discussion of large school football.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Pat Ryan’s choice

Post by CIS »

Congratulations to Mr. Ryan and a great career - well done sir! :td I have followed local high school football for over 50 years since I was a kid. I have also researched previous years before that. There have been a lot of great football coaches in the Peoria area like Peeler (Canton-Richwoods), Butler (Richwoods), Hinrichs (Manual 50's-60's)), John Venturi (Washington) Herke (Central - that's going way back to 1920''s-1930's!) Stromberger-Helmick (Metamora) and more. But it would seem to me that Pat Ryan is the greatest of all time. Longevity, state titles and title games, conference championships, overall wins. I can't think of any coach that has accomplished more from the Peoria area (I guess I am talk large schools). Anybody have a thought?

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz »

CIS wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 pm
Congratulations to Mr. Ryan and a great career - well done sir! :td I have followed local high school football for over 50 years since I was a kid. I have also researched previous years before that. There have been a lot of great football coaches in the Peoria area like Peeler (Canton-Richwoods), Butler (Richwoods), Hinrichs (Manual 50's-60's)), John Venturi (Washington) Herke (Central - that's going way back to 1920''s-1930's!) Stromberger-Helmick (Metamora) and more. But it would seem to me that Pat Ryan is the greatest of all time. Longevity, state titles and title games, conference championships, overall wins. I can't think of any coach that has accomplished more from the Peoria area (I guess I am talk large schools). Anybody have a thought?
Congrats to the greatest motivator/coach this state has ever probably had.
The intensity, the the tirades at the officials, the taking off your cap and wanting to throw it at the officials and some of your players in disgust for their lack of concentration will all be remembered and missed for sure!
I personally don’t know Pat, but I know people who have gotten to know him and every one of them have nothing but praise for the guy.
All I know is that I personally have come to appreciate people ( leaders) who are really good at what they do.
Motivators/ leaders do not come around very often... at least the really great ones don’t...when they do though
it be best to pattern your own self after them.
I enjoy seeing my my birds win.
The football program up at MTHS has been really good now for an awfully long time...other fans at other high school football programs only wish that their program would have half the success as that out at Metamora.
Now to get back to my original post on Pat Ryan’s successor...
From the tea leaves of Pat’s interview by PJS I gather that the next coach will be an assistant currently at Metamora. I have no problem with that! I do think that Grebner or Herring would make excellent choices.
My odds are as follows to be the next head coach at Metamora:
Delinsky: 2/1
Grebner and Herring each 3/1
Elbert: 4/1
All others: 50/1
Personally I’d still like to see Schlemmer be named, but maybe the timing for him is just not a good fit right now for both sides involved.
Side Note: If Curt Ryan wants the job... well I think it should be given to him.
My gut tells me though that Curt is content to step aside just as his older brother has decided to. Only time will tell who will be named the next head coach out at Metamora.
The next coach at Metamora will have big shoes to fill and
I’m sure they all are very aware of this already.
Good luck to all candidates that apply!
Go Birds!
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
General George Patton

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

IMO, which really is that, Metamora should go outside and get someone who will change the whole dynamics of the team. After 32 years if I were a fan I just might want to see something else. However I also am inclined to believe that the administration will not go outside the district to name the next coach, staying within and hoping to keep the present staff in tact.
go cubs go!

Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Bballnut »

deejay wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:07 pm
IMO, which really is that, Metamora should go outside and get someone who will change the whole dynamics of the team. After 32 years if I were a fan I just might want to see something else. However I also am inclined to believe that the administration will not go outside the district to name the next coach, staying within and hoping to keep the present staff in tact.
We tend to overlook the obvious. It's a high school 1st. Football comes after that Usually need a teaching position open to hire from outside. I imagine the SUPT will get an earful from the faithful in the coming weeks :)
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Bigslim

Post by Bigslim »

Bballnut wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:57 pm
deejay wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:07 pm
We tend to overlook the obvious. It's a high school 1st. Football comes after that Usually need a teaching position open to hire from outside. I imagine the SUPT will get an earful from the faithful in the coming weeks :)
PR is a health teacher. Assuming he is retiring from that, there would be a teaching position open.

Epping99

Post by Epping99 »

Ok, the torch wasn't passed from Helmick to PR there were some dark years in between. How do I know this? I was QB Helmick's last year and "dark year one". It wasn't pleasant especially being a little brother of a guy who was on the 75 team. This is exactly why the choice should be in PR's possession. Helmick left under terms where he wasn't really allowed to do that and it was not a good result. (I'm being kind here). If you dont believe me ask the Pope. PR should have biggest say in who takes the reigns, there are too many young lives at stake. I'm looking at this with hindsight but I also was very close to another coaching legend Walt Laitas. And if any of you knew Walt he'd tell you let PR pick him and leave all the *** out of it.

Epping99

Post by Epping99 »

BTW I'll throw a name out since everyone else is, he's working a nice gig at CAT right now but he could be persuaded.
Caleb TerBush.

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz »

Epping99 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:39 pm
Ok, the torch wasn't passed from Helmick to PR there were some dark years in between. How do I know this? I was QB Helmick's last year and "dark year one". It wasn't pleasant especially being a little brother of a guy who was on the 75 team. This is exactly why the choice should be in PR's possession. Helmick left under terms where he wasn't really allowed to do that and it was not a good result. (I'm being kind here). If you dont believe me ask the Pope. PR should have biggest say in who takes the reigns, there are too many young lives at stake. I'm looking at this with hindsight but I also was very close to another coaching legend Walt Laitas. And if any of you knew Walt he'd tell you let PR pick him and leave all the *** out of it.
In all fairness to John Helmick, he did not have the horses to get Metamora much of anywhere the last couple of years that he coached.
The last really great team Helmick had was in 1980’.
The only reason the birds didn’t win the state championship that year was because they ran into a Morris team that probably would have state no matter what classification they were in.
How do I know this? I was there and saw a powerhouse of a team I have never seen before.
I remember seeing Walt Laitas at every Metamora game I ever went to... I got to know Walt fairly good when he would stop by my Mom and Dads business every once in a while...Walt was a good man, and one heck of a “Bird Fan”!
General George Patton

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Taken from his tv interview, PR is keeping his teaching position for at least one more year.
go cubs go!

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

4MBirdz wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:45 am
Epping99 wrote:
In all fairness to John Helmick, he did not have the horses to get Metamora much of anywhere the last couple of years that he coached.
The only reason the birds didn’t win the state championship that year was because they ran into a Morris team that probably would have state no matter what classification they were in.
How do I know this? I was there and saw a powerhouse of a team I have never seen before.
I remember seeing Walt Laitas at every Metamora game I ever went to... I got to know Walt fairly good when he would stop by my Mom and Dads business every once in a while...Walt was a good man, and one heck of a “Bird Fan”!
It's interesting to compare the last three years of Helmick's to Ryan's. Helmick 10-1, 8-2 and 4-5. Ryan, 4-5, 8-2 and 4-5. As I said earlier, there is no doubt in my mind that Pat Ryan is the greatest high school football coach ever from the Peoria area. To accomplish what Ryan did and over the length of time was amazing. Most of us from other schools wished we had a Pat Ryan as coach. However, the program has slipped the last few years, especially by Metamora standards. Is there a shortage of horses/talent (as some would say) or has the program become somewhat stale and needs an infusion of new energy and direction? What will be available when a new coach does step in? How were juniors that played this year and how were the F-S teams?

Bigslim

Post by Bigslim »

CIS wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:33 pm
4MBirdz wrote:
Epping99 wrote:
It's interesting to compare the last three years of Helmick's to Ryan's. Helmick 10-1, 8-2 and 4-5. Ryan, 4-5, 8-2 and 4-5. As I said earlier, there is no doubt in my mind that Pat Ryan is the greatest high school football coach ever from the Peoria area. To accomplish what Ryan did and over the length of time was amazing. Most of us from other schools wished we had a Pat Ryan as coach. However, the program has slipped the last few years, especially by Metamora standards. Is there a shortage of horses/talent (as some would say) or has the program become somewhat stale and needs an infusion of new energy and direction? What will be available when a new coach does step in? How were juniors that played this year and how were the F-S teams?
From what I’ve seen and heard about, there is talent coming, however, like in the last few years, it’s all in the skill positions. The lines, on both sides of the ball, are just not there. And if the lines are bad, well...

This job will be hired from within. There is no way that Metamora will hire a guy from the outside with no prior connections to the program. No way. That guy would not survive the Metamora politics. It’s either Delinski or Grebner. And it will be status quo.

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz »

Just to add on my post about Helmick not having the horses/athletes the last few years he was coach:
One great athlete that Helmick did have in 81’ was
Jeff McKinney. McKinney was one of the greatest running backs the Birds have had thru the years.
General George Patton

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told »

CIS wrote:
4MBirdz wrote:
Epping99 wrote:
. A bit more emphasis on the main subject in the first video (see below) couldn't hurt as well. It makes when done correctly an already good team into one at times unbeatable.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-li ... rward-pass

Bigslim

Post by Bigslim »

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:17 am
CIS wrote:
4MBirdz wrote:

. A bit more emphasis on the main subject in the first video (see below) couldn't hurt as well. It makes when done correctly an already good team into one at times unbeatable.

Yeah, because JCA is slinging the ball all over the yard.

metfan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by metfan »

deejay wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:40 am
Taken from his tv interview, PR is keeping his teaching position for at least one more year.
No, he is retiring from teaching as well. MTHS has a Health position posted.
"When you do what you love, and love what you do, you'll have success your whole life through!"

The Truth Be Told

Bigslim wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:38 pm
The Truth Be Told wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:17 am
CIS wrote:

Yeah, because JCA is slinging the ball all over the yard.
.No you don't understand what I said. There is a difference between elite and good teams. JCA 's last championship until 2018 (and the faithful were sweating out week nine at 4-4 hoping to just qualify that season) was nine years ago in 2007. Now private schools face several difficult issues outside of athletics but for JCA football a lack of a prolific passing game in this era has hurt them. Don't get me wrong. JCA is still a very good team even with that old offense. Getting off topic but I hear their fairly new coach is changing up things slowly. They develop a passing attack like they are capable of and it's back to elite status and trouble for everyone often. Or they can choose to stay with the same old same and make noise every once in awhile. Quite simple really. By the way losing to Macoutah in the playoffs (2019) had to be and was a reality check for them. P.S. You might want to rethink using JCA as a comparative sample with Metamora.

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

According to a realiable source, Curt Ryan has officially put his application in for the head coach job. Realizing you always need talent to make a good team, Curt will nonetheless make it exciting to watch. Guess you dont have to be a teacher to get the job?

The Truth Be Told

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz »

cutter752 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:38 pm
According to a realiable source, Curt Ryan has officially put his application in for the head coach job. Realizing you always need talent to make a good team, Curt will nonetheless make it exciting to watch. Guess you dont have to be a teacher to get the job?
My updated odds to be Metamora’s next head football coach are as follows:
Curt Ryan: 3/2 odds.
All other candidates: 50/1 odds.
General George Patton

blownfuse

Post by blownfuse »

deejay wrote:
I talked to him at the grocery store and he is retiring from teaching as well.
2017 large school pick-ems grand champion

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz »

blownfuse wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:43 pm
deejay wrote:
I talked to him at the grocery store and he is retiring from teaching as well.
Breaking: This just in from Metamora>>> Due to the huge corona virus outbreak the Metamora School Board has decided to cancel naming a new Metamora head football coach till this time next year.
Updates available at the top of the hour or when any new news breaks.... Stay tuned, and oh go wash your hands!
General George Patton

4MBirdz
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 4MBirdz »

At this point, does it really matter who MTHS names successor to PR? [Grebner got the job]. .. and good for him... does it really matter?
I know this.... I want to watch h. s. football this fall.
I want to watch the Cardinals beat theCubs, and I want to be able to gamble at the Riverboat as well. I want to shake hands again.
Will we even get to see how Grebs does at Metamora?
I am starting to have my doubts for sure.
When will things return back to the way they were?
It wasn’t but only some years ago that we raged against ‘ Catholic Recruiting’.
Doesn’t matter a hill of beans anymore!
Wasn’t it just about 20 years ago when we all thought the world stopped? (9/11).
We all rallied around the U. S. flag back then.
Oh it seemed so dire.
Where will we be by this fall, watching football or watching daily briefings on the Corona Virus?
This is unprecedented times for sure!
Even during World War 2 things didn’t come to a halt in the world. After Kennedy was shot the country kept working as well.
I want my baseball back, I want my football back, I I just want my country back to where we were pre Corona.
Will we ever hear the ‘National Anthem’ played before
a packed crowd at any sporting venue this summer or fall?
Again, even during World WAR 2 the world kept living from what I’ve been told.
Will we ever get back to the way things were?
General George Patton