Thoughts on Football being moved to the Spring

For the civil discussion of large school football.
Rockets 1991
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Thoughts on Football being moved to the Spring

Post by Rockets 1991 »

What are everyone's thoughts on Highschool Football season being moved to the Spring of 2021?

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: Thoughts on Football being moved to the Spring

Post by cutter752 »

If i understand it correctly, the Spring football season starts in Feb???? a little confused, does it mean practice starts in Feb or the games start in Feb? Regardless, this has got to be the stupidest thing ever regarding HS football...How many fans are going to brave Feb weather to see a football game? Will snow and ice be a prob on fields? Can the team wear overcoats (yah, hide the ball lol), will the balls be heated?, kidding a little here,, but yah gotta be kidding me with this idea

net
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by net »

cutter752 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:44 pm
If i understand it correctly, the Spring football season starts in Feb???? a little confused, does it mean practice starts in Feb or the games start in Feb? Regardless, this has got to be the stupidest thing ever regarding HS football...How many fans are going to brave Feb weather to see a football game? Will snow and ice be a prob on fields? Can the team wear overcoats (yah, hide the ball lol), will the balls be heated?, kidding a little here,, but yah gotta be kidding me with this idea
season starts 2/15. championships 5/1.

i believe the first football game was 3/5. not 100% sure of this date but i'm close.

Pike Bishop
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Pike Bishop »

I know from coaching track, football practice is going to be tough. The weather is worse than November....colder, snow, cold rain, mud. You have to deal with Daylight Saving Time. Then there is the blizzard that hits the last week of March or the first week of April. There have been some springs where it did not warm up until May

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Hey, I'm happy as long as there is football! :td Pekin has a wonderful QB who will be a senior this year. I was hoping he would get a chance to play as well as the rest of the guys. I actually was quite optimistic about the Dragons this year! :D My only question is, how does this affect players who play basketball? Are they going to have to choose which sport to play? Practices will be in February which is still the regular basketball season and the games will start in March when the postseason starts for basketball? How long will the regular football season be if the championship is first week of May? 5 or 6 games with shortened playoffs? Will the MI be able to play full conference slate? One thing I assume is lost is non conference, which is real shame. Was looking forward to Central-Pekin and Notre Dame-Metamora this fall....

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Never mind about basketball, I see they are going to condense the season and finish by February 13. I still wonder how regular season games will their be football? Will they condense the playoffs? Anybody know?

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

CIS wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 pm
Never mind about basketball, I see they are going to condense the season and finish by February 13. I still wonder how regular season games will their be football? Will they condense the playoffs? Anybody know?
The “regular” season will be 7 games so all MI games schedule. That’s a good thing.

Maybe this could lead to a future Having fall and spring football 🤔 :td
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect »

Well, the basketball Players moving into football should be a head of the game cardio wise. It’s usually the other way around, going from football to basketball. Easier adjustment this time around.

young guns
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by young guns »

I'm just glad they are going to have a season for all those seniors looking forward to their last year. But it will be a long fall without high school football.
As for the potential weather? Hey it's football not baseball or track. If you can't stand a little weather then don't play. Besides a lot of teams play on turf now, and if they don't maybe they can juggle schedules a little to use a neighboring field if needed.

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

young guns wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:34 am
I'm just glad they are going to have a season for all those seniors looking forward to their last year. But it will be a long fall without high school football.
As for the potential weather? Hey it's football not baseball or track. If you can't stand a little weather then don't play. Besides a lot of teams play on turf now, and if they don't maybe they can juggle schedules a little to use a neighboring field if needed.
I'd challenge the thinking that Football is the only sport in "non-ideal" weather/field conditions.

Cross country - no explanation needed.
Baseball is notorious for being out on the field in terrible weather, diving on rock hard ground, etc.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Track normally starts practice in January. While the football players who do sprints and throws during track stay warm inside, the distance kids head out for long runs, intervals, etc.

The main thing for football practice in Feb will be to keep the kids moving. The standing around is what makes it miserable.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

young guns

Post by young guns »

tombs14 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:37 pm
young guns wrote:
I'd challenge the thinking that Football is the only sport in "non-ideal" weather/field conditions.

Baseball is notorious for being out on the field in terrible weather, diving on rock hard ground, etc.
I never said other sports didn't go on in "non-ideal" weather but I can remember playing in a couple of football games where it was so stinking cold and windy that nobody but the coaches and players were out. All the fans went to their cars or gave up and went home. Had it been baseball, track, soccer or even cross country it would have been cancelled or postponed. Football is notorious for playing no matter what, well except lightning I suppose.
Last edited by young guns on Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

young guns wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:14 pm
tombs14 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:37 pm
young guns wrote:

I never said other sports didn't go on in "non-ideal" weather but I can remember playing in a couple of football games where it was so stinking cold and windy that nobody but the coaches and players were out. All the fans went to their cars or gave up and went home. Had it been baseball, track, soccer or even cross country it would have been cancelled or postponed. Football is notorious for playing no matter what, well expect lightning I suppose.
I think you're still not understanding my rebuttal. The part I bolded is what I'm challenging. some of those sports do - participate in weather equally as bad or worse than Football.