Highschool Football Before March

For the civil discussion of large school football.
Rockets 1991
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Highschool Football Before March

Post by Rockets 1991 »

What would everyone's thoughts be on bringing Highschool football back in Illinois before March?

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Highschool Football Before March

Post by MidstateFan »

From Farmers' Almanac:

"The long-range forecast calls for a cold winter with normal to below normal temperatures in the areas from the Great Lakes and Midwest westward through the Northern and Central Plains, and Rockies."

I'm already planning on buying a pair of boots for the snowy games in March.(or April. Remember it snowed on April 15 & 17 last spring.)

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Is there any chance that a seven game season (since that's all their doing in next March) could start say early October? Play from early or mid October to end of November. Or is high school football basically dead for this year? Man, such a bummer. Pekin was going to have a really good team this year and was excited to see their senior QB (Van Wyatt) set to have big year. Also, in week two, Central was going to come to Pekin. That would have been some game this year... :(

The Truth Be Told
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by The Truth Be Told »

MidstateFan wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:58 pm
From Farmers' Almanac:

"The long-range forecast calls for a cold winter with normal to below normal temperatures in the areas from the Great Lakes and Midwest westward through the Northern and Central Plains, and Rockies."

I'm already planning on buying a pair of boots for the snowy games in March.(or April. Remember it snowed on April 15 & 17 last spring.)
.You might want to pause on that boot purchase. Unless you fall into the "immediate family" category. The rules (which could change) are 20% capacity only of fans allowed in. For teams that have large followings that show up for the games this has the potential for problems.

How to decide who gets in and who doesn't. I would be surprised if it's a first in line decision. Hardcore fans might stand around early for a couple of hours waiting. But that's going to make a lot of other people unhappy. And what happens if the team a school is playing has a history of very small fan attendance? Everyone has seen that. I assume it would be an even split with fans between the two schools. If there side is empty would that free up more seats right before the game start? Also 20% capacity will be a real problem in small schools where seating is very limited and the norm is usually people standing around the fence (sometimes two deep) which surrounds the football field.

I know what I would do to "work" the numbers. Find a large stadium which would seat more spectators. That might be a hard sell though for the coach who has the home field for the game.

crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by crkamm »

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:12 pm
MidstateFan wrote:
From Farmers' Almanac:

.You might want to pause on that boot purchase. Unless you fall into the "immediate family" category. The rules (which could change) are 20% capacity only of fans allowed in. For teams that have large followings that show up for the games this has the potential for problems.

How to decide who gets in and who doesn't. I would be surprised if it's a first in line decision. Hardcore fans might stand around early for a couple of hours waiting. But that's going to make a lot of other people unhappy. And what happens if the team a school is playing has a history of very small fan attendance? Everyone has seen that. I assume it would be an even split with fans between the two schools. If there side is empty would that free up more seats right before the game start? Also 20% capacity will be a real problem in small schools where seating is very limited and the norm is usually people standing around the fence (sometimes two deep) which surrounds the football field.

I know what I would do to "work" the numbers. Find a large stadium which would seat more spectators. That might be a hard sell though for the coach who has the home field for the game.
Can not speak to others, but the early talk out of Metamora was to give each player, cheerleader and band member 2 tickets. Parents I assume. Let me tell you, gossip around town was NOT happy. Especially in light of all the tax referendums they've been trying to pass for years.
THE LEGEND! As crowned by Johnny Mac
Scientifically proven to be 1.84 X more intelligent than the "Officially recognized Smartest Poster on the Boards".
jmc wrote:you were advanced for your age.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Looks like fall football isn't going to happen, Dictator Illinois governor won't allow it. All other Midwest states have high school football, in fact most states have it....25 states are already playing and another seven will start. Big states like Texas, Florida and even Pennsylvania (which has had strict Co-vid guidelines) are playing football. Most students and parents want to play football (even in Chicago area). I don't get why the state won't even try. Football in March is going to be a big mess...

superfan309

Post by superfan309 »

crkamm wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:33 pm
The Truth Be Told wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:12 pm
MidstateFan wrote:
From Farmers' Almanac:

Can not speak to others, but the early talk out of Metamora was to give each player, cheerleader and band member 2 tickets. Parents I assume. Let me tell you, gossip around town was NOT happy. Especially in light of all the tax referendums they've been trying to pass for years.
NFHS and IHSA needs to authorize more live feeds coordinated by the home teams for the community.

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight »

The Summer Olympics were postponed a year. Some things are way more important than grade school/high school sports right now.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

94 Knight wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:53 pm
The Summer Olympics were postponed a year. Some things are way more important than grade school/high school sports right now.
Shhhh...Don't tell some of the posters on here that. They'll assume you're in cahoots with the so-called "dictator" in the governor's office.

young guns

Post by young guns »

I happened to be in Southern Kansas last Friday night. It looked like Kansas and Oklahoma are playing high school football with no restrictions that I could see. Why not Illinois?

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told »

.Video from the rally Saturday in Springfield.

https://www.channel1450.com/2020/09/19/ ... ringfield/

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

young guns wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:18 pm
I happened to be in Southern Kansas last Friday night. It looked like Kansas and Oklahoma are playing high school football with no restrictions that I could see. Why not Illinois?
On the other hand:

Two Kansas high schools halt football games after one player tests positive for COVID
https://www.kansas.com/news/coronavirus ... 14630.html

young guns

Post by young guns »

MidstateFan wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 pm
young guns wrote:
On the other hand:

Two Kansas high schools halt football games after one player tests positive for COVID
Yeah this would have been the week before, on the 11th. We stopped at a gas station somewhere just West of Wichita right when the high school down the street was getting out. There were several players coming in wearing their jerseys and all the locals telling them good luck, the normal small town stuff. We noticed we were the only ones in there wearing masks or even trying to do the social distancing thing. Before we stopped for the night we drove by several football fields and it looked like pre-covid activities going on. Maybe they could have tried a little and maybe have been safe anyway? At the hotel that night I watched parts of two high school games on cable. One in Kansas and one in Oklahoma.

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

young guns wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:23 pm
MidstateFan wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 pm
young guns wrote:
On the other hand:

Yeah this would have been the week before, on the 11th. We stopped at a gas station somewhere just West of Wichita right when the high school down the street was getting out. There were several players coming in wearing their jerseys and all the locals telling them good luck, the normal small town stuff. We noticed we were the only ones in there wearing masks or even trying to do the social distancing thing. Before we stopped for the night we drove by several football fields and it looked like pre-covid activities going on. Maybe they could have tried a little and maybe have been safe anyway? At the hotel that night I watched parts of two high school games on cable. One in Kansas and one in Oklahoma.
I miss football drastically. This is the first fall since 1967 that I haven't been involved in high school football in some degree. Considering how many college teams have had games cancelled or postponed (18 games the last I saw), I'm not sure high schools could manage full-contact/games without more testing than is available. If the 15-minute saliva test were available to all schools and was used two or three times a week, then you might be able to catch an outbreak quickly. As it is now, testing is hit-or-miss and there's a couple days lag time. And there is the problem of many small high school team's fields not being enclosed, so how would you be able to limit crowds or enforce masks or social distancing? With the number of cases so high in the tri-county area right now, even without mass gatherings (at least not sanctioned ones) I don't see it working.
Right now I've gone on to wondering how they're going to handle basketball...

nesland300

Post by nesland300 »

MidstateFan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:45 pm
Right now I've gone on to wondering how they're going to handle basketball...
Basketball isn't happening. I just don't see any way Pritzker allows it. He'll pull the plug on it (and probably spring football too) shortly after election day.