Dictator Pritzker Holding Illinois Hostage!

For the civil discussion of large school football.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Dictator Pritzker Holding Illinois Hostage!

Post by CIS »

Maybe a little dramatic, but one feels that Pritzker is holding the state of Illinois hostage in many areas because of Co-vid. Businesses are going bankrupt. People are losing jobs. But since this is high school football board, I am disappointed that King Pritzker will not allow high school football this fall. Many schools, parents and student athletes want to play (This includes city of Chicago, suburbs and downstate areas) Most of the Midwest states surrounding Illinois are playing. Big states like Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania (their governor has been really strict about co-vid) are all playing. 25 states are playing now with seven slated to start in upcoming weeks. The Big Ten has voted to play. There seems to be safety measures that can be taken. I say let the Illinois high schools take a vote and go with that. I would think high schools themselves could determine if they want to play. And if majority voted to play, a school could still opt out. But what Pritzker has done, in true dictator form, is taken freedom of choice away from schools, parents and student athletes. I not trying to get into a political discussion, but one person wielding such power... :evil:
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Dictator Pritzker Holding Illinois Hostage!

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Not even going to comment on the dictator portion of it because what he is doing is far from dictatorial.

Anyway, here is the 7-day rolling positivity rates for Illinois, the surrounding states and the 3 additional states you mentioned (per John Hopkins):

-Illinois: 3.6%
-Indiana: 6.2%
-Kentucky: 3.4%
-Missouri: 10.9%
-Iowa: 13.5%
-Wisconsin: 14.6%
-Texas: 7.9%
-Florida: 12.3%
-Pennsylvania: 6.8%

So of all those states, Kentucky is the only own with a positivity rate at or below Illinois' rate. The rest are close to 2X as much or more.

It's completely understandable why he'd want to do this as there is no way the schools in this state could provide the same amount of testing and sanitization and other capabilities that you're seeing on the professional and college level. Does it stink for the athletes who are wanting to play? Absolutely. But until there's a safe way to do so, there's no need in getting players in high contact sports together especially with liability concerns abounding.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Bluejay, I won't get into the numbers yet, but shouldn't the IHSA schools have a say in this? Shouldn't maybe the schools themselves vote on this? IN fact, last week the IHSA sent a letter asking the governor to hand control of high school sports BACK to the IHSA. He REFUSED. Hence why I used word dictator. He, as one person, gets to dictate the what 700 schools in Illinois can do. What I see is a lot of schools, ADS, coaches parents, students that want to play. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like the schools nor IHSA have had much of a say in this. If the majority of schools voted against football/volleyball etc then fine. But I would think the schools would be up to date on medical issues and also have the students best interest at heart.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

CIS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 pm Bluejay, I won't get into the numbers yet, but shouldn't the IHSA schools have a say in this? Shouldn't maybe the schools themselves vote on this? IN fact, last week the IHSA sent a letter asking the governor to hand control of high school sports BACK to the IHSA. He REFUSED. Hence why I used word dictator. He, as one person, gets to dictate the what 700 schools in Illinois can do. What I see is a lot of schools, ADS, coaches parents, students that want to play. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like the schools nor IHSA have had much of a say in this. If the majority of schools voted against football/volleyball etc then fine. But I would think the schools would be up to date on medical issues and also have the students best interest at heart.
I know about the IHSA sending the letter to the governor's office but I can totally get where Pritzker is coming from on all this as well. And it's not as if Illinois is the only state in the union that isn't playing high school football right now. I could be wrong here but I believe that New York and most of the New England states aren't playing right now along with a few states out west (Though to be fair, with the air quality due to the wildfires California, Oregon and Washington state probably wouldn't be playing right now anyway).
oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:32 pm
CIS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 pm Bluejay, I won't get into the numbers yet, but shouldn't the IHSA schools have a say in this? Shouldn't maybe the schools themselves vote on this? IN fact, last week the IHSA sent a letter asking the governor to hand control of high school sports BACK to the IHSA. He REFUSED. Hence why I used word dictator. He, as one person, gets to dictate the what 700 schools in Illinois can do. What I see is a lot of schools, ADS, coaches parents, students that want to play. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like the schools nor IHSA have had much of a say in this. If the majority of schools voted against football/volleyball etc then fine. But I would think the schools would be up to date on medical issues and also have the students best interest at heart.
I know about the IHSA sending the letter to the governor's office but I can totally get where Pritzker is coming from on all this as well. And it's not as if Illinois is the only state in the union that isn't playing high school football right now. I could be wrong here but I believe that New York and most of the New England states aren't playing right now along with a few states out west (Though to be fair, with the air quality due to the wildfires California, Oregon and Washington state probably wouldn't be playing right now anyway).
The link is a map of high school football specifically and who's playing, who's modified the season (that means different things in different states but it appears to often be the start date), and who's not playing:
https://www.nfhs.org/media/4119463/2020 ... ations.jpg

I was struck by how nonpolitical this map looks :roll:
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions
young guns
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by young guns »

I happened to be in Southern Kansas last Friday night. It looked like Kansas and Oklahoma are playing high school football with no restrictions that I could see. Why not Illinois?
Pike Bishop
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Pike Bishop »

My son drove by a high school football in Norman, Ok., last Friday night. He said the the stands were packed.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Pike Bishop wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:55 pm My son drove by a high school football in Norman, Ok., last Friday night. He said the the stands were packed.
Could he tell how many people were wearing masks?
TheRoller

Post by TheRoller »

oftenrunning52 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 am
The link is a map of high school football specifically and who's playing, who's modified the season (that means different things in different states but it appears to often be the start date), and who's not playing:

Map is not completely accurate. Missouri actually gave schools the option of pushing football season to the spring. Pretty much the entire state is playing with the exception of the schools in St. Louis county whose health department won't allow them to. AD's at some STL schools announced today they are looking into the possibility of playing their games outside the county and, thus, beyond the control of the county Health Dept. Waiting to see if other schools follow suit.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-sc ... b6825.html
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.
TheRoller

Post by TheRoller »

TheRoller wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:41 pm
oftenrunning52 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 am

Map is not completely accurate. Missouri actually gave schools the option of pushing football season to the spring. Pretty much the entire state is playing with the exception of the schools in St. Louis county whose health department won't allow them to. AD's at some STL schools announced today they are looking into the possibility of playing their games outside the county and, thus, beyond the control of the county Health Dept. Waiting to see if other schools follow suit.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-sc ... b6825.html
And now it gets even more interesting as St. Louis city schools are free to resume playing.......St. Louis County not yet https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/st-lo ... ll-sports/
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.