Geneseo and Sterling to WB6?

For the civil discussion of large school football.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Geneseo and Sterling to WB6?

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:13 pm

ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: Geneseo and Sterling to WB6?

Post by ging » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:40 am

likely to be approved by both schools. sterling had no other options, other than independent. geneseo had an invite to the new I8, but apparently did not want to join.

from a football standpoint, history shows that both schools should be able to be competitive in the wb6 most years. not so sure about the other sports.
VCSOMB

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Beware, If you beat all the team in conference the first year they will want to get rid of you.

BU1987
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by BU1987 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 am

94 Knight wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:51 pm
Beware, If you beat all the team in conference the first year they will want to get rid of you.
I don't think long term the Peoria teams would have pulled that off consistently. Timing was such that the WB6 teams were down during that timeframe. Always been a head scratcher for me to understand why Geneseo didn't go this way a long time ago. They can compete in football, and the other sports are open to everyone at palyoff time, so while records matter, they won't exclude a team from post season opportunity. I also could never understand why the WB6 has never told Quincy to get lost. The distance between them and all other teams is ridiculous, and there are plenty of competitive non-conference teams that could be scheduled for all of the sports.

bluebomber
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bluebomber » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:54 am

BU1987 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 am
94 Knight wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:51 pm
I don't think long term the Peoria teams would have pulled that off consistently. Timing was such that the WB6 teams were down during that timeframe. Always been a head scratcher for me to understand why Geneseo didn't go this way a long time ago. They can compete in football, and the other sports are open to everyone at palyoff time, so while records matter, they won't exclude a team from post season opportunity. I also could never understand why the WB6 has never told Quincy to get lost. The distance between them and all other teams is ridiculous, and there are plenty of competitive non-conference teams that could be scheduled for all of the sports.
This is what is wrong with conferences these days. Don't like the travel or don't like getting beat, so we are going to find a new conference. The WB6 has been around since the late 60's or early 70's. It is competitive in most sports. The scheduling for Quincy is usually done on weekends to avoid school night trips. I believe if you look at the current schedules, there are trips that are just as far as QC to Quincy already. And there are still 2 non conference football games that will need to be scheduled. #bringbacktheOly

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Why did the old conference (the NCIC) break apart? You had LaSalle-Peru, Dixon, Sterling, Ottawa, Streator together - I believe for awhile Geneseo was in the smaller division with Mendota, Hall, Rochelle and so forth but then switched to bigger NCIC. But anyway, LaSalle-Peru and the larger school group along with Geneseo are all in similar enrollment category and the travel distances overall is not bad. I am curious as to why the old conference fell apart after several decades?

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 pm

I think Sterling and Geneseo will be great additions the the WB6 and will take away a lot of scheduling headaches. While Geneseo won't be that competitive in basketball most years, they will be in football and also many other 'minor sports". Sterling might have won the football and possibly basketball titles this year as they had fine teams in both and I think Sterling will compete quite well in other sports. The addition of Geneseo and Sterling will make the WB6 a much tougher football conference...

BU1987
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by BU1987 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:58 pm

CIS wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:20 pm
Why did the old conference (the NCIC) break apart? You had LaSalle-Peru, Dixon, Sterling, Ottawa, Streator together - I believe for awhile Geneseo was in the smaller division with Mendota, Hall, Rochelle and so forth but then switched to bigger NCIC. But anyway, LaSalle-Peru and the larger school group along with Geneseo are all in similar enrollment category and the travel distances overall is not bad. I am curious as to why the old conference fell apart after several decades?
Geneseo moved to the 'big school' side of conference for football sometime in the early 80's. Eventually, (about 10 years ago?), Rochelle left in search of better football competition. It had gotten pretty weak. If you'll recall, IVC joined in their place and had several top/good seeds in the playoff brackets only to get knocked out of playoffs in round 1. Not a knock on IVC, but it speaks to how weak that side of the conference had become, and thus the reason Rochelle departed. A couple years later, the 'big school' teams all bolted for NIB12. Morris may have come on board as an NCIC team for a couple years prior to the break up???

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:32 pm

Agree with Reggie. WB6(8) and the Mid Illini should be in contact in regards to non-conf Football scheduling. Could really help themselves out.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:42 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:32 pm
Agree with Reggie. WB6(8) and the Mid Illini should be in contact in regards to non-conf Football scheduling. Could really help themselves out.
Thanks, GBG! Next thing I am working on is a super conference by merging Peoria and Mid-Illini schools.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 pm

CIS wrote:
The story I recall is that as Rochelle’s enrollment was increasing while age Geneseo’s was decreasing the NCIC was swapping them into the divisions their enrollment dictated. That honked off Rochelle so they sought another conference. Then IVC joined and suddenly other schools sought other options, not that IVC provoked that.

I believe the NCIC died before Geneseo and Morris hooked up a few years back.

IMO we are within a decade of an eight game regular season and every team making the playoffs as in every other sport. It seems the IHSA will have to step in and do something as the member schools have just gone crazy by searching for greener pastures. It will be a case of the masses paying for the sins of a few.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

BU1987
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by BU1987 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Reggie wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 pm
CIS wrote:
The story I recall is that as Rochelle’s enrollment was increasing while age Geneseo’s was decreasing the NCIC was swapping them into the divisions their enrollment dictated. That honked off Rochelle so they sought another conference. Then IVC joined and suddenly other schools sought other options, not that IVC provoked that.
I don't think Rochelle was honked off....This article from 2010 gives a pretty good review of the situation.

http://www.mywebtimes.com/sports/bad-br ... eff2a.html

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Bu - thanks for the article! That really answered the question. Just sad though, to see this long time conference go by the wayside after decades of overall stability. I really don't know why the NCIC large division just didn't add Rochelle and Morris and make it a eight team league? Why did Rochelle's enrollment grow by so much since most schools are losing enrollment? Anyway the NCIC should have let the small division go on its own way and form an eight team league with Morris and Rochelle. But that is all water under the bridge. I do think its a great idea to have Geneseo and Sterling join the WB6.