Sterling @ Pekin

For the civil discussion of large school football.
muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Sterling @ Pekin

Post by muss » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:47 pm

well is the third year a charm for Pekin? If I recall correctly Sterling running clocked by halftime the last 2 meetings, I've heard Pekin returned a ton this year though and the O Line is big and fast? I don't expect such an upset this time around and Pekin is going to be pumped at home with Sterling on the road its second week, should be a good game!

ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: Sterling @ Pekin

Post by ging » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:51 pm

muss!!!! was wondering if you would make an appearance here.

this game will not be a running clock this year. sterling will have their hands full with this pekin team. from what i see, the dragons have good size and good athletes. and sterling is missing at least one (ezra torres, who was at military basic training and doesn't have enough practices to play yet) and possibly two (alek duran, who has an injury which forced him to sit out of the week 1 game) of their best players on defense.

and for what it's worth, the current pekin juniors and seniors dominated the current sterling juniors and seniors when they were freshmen and sophomores.
VCSOMB

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Will believe it when it happens until then Sterling all the way and not close
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:38 pm

For whatever reason, Pekin just doesn't match up well with Sterling. Yes, Sterling has had much better talent/team the last two years but Pekin just falls completely apart playing against them and plays their worse game- fumbled kickoffs, bad interceptions and so forth. I also don't think the coaching staff has any idea on how to stop Sterling. Last year Pekin was able to compete against Dunlap and Washington (two outstanding 5A teams that might have been able to beat Sterling or at least be close) while against Sterling there was a running clock. I don't think Pekin has a chance this year either - I would be happy if the Dragons could compete for four quarters and lose maybe 34-20 or something like that. A 54-14 or 48-17 score is more likely though. And yes, the Dragons did very well against Sterling F-S teams but this is varsity. I did see the Pekin-Oak Forest game at Oak Forest last week and like I said on another post, Pekin beat a bad O-F team easily but played sloppy with costly penalties and a few bad turnovers. Sterling is ten times better than Oak Forest. I believe Sterling beat Marango 48-6 last week - so it seems that Sterling has just reloaded their offense!I always try to get to Pekin for one game and was thinking with Labor day weekend of maybe going down (from Chicago) to see this game. But decided against it, I don't want to watch a blowout. I will try to go down another weekend. I really hope I am wrong and would love to see a win but that is not going to happen! Hopefully Pekin will get over this game and move to play Dunlap tough in week three! I for one would like to see Sterling OFF the schedule and replaced with another Oak Forest (Pekins beat O-F three years in a row easily)!!!!! :td

muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by muss » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Ging,
I made it to Pekin the first year, my then girlfriend now wife was living there when they played and I watched them at home last year but won’t make it this year! This will be a better test than Marengo, Pekin is almost twice the enrollment! I may see you at home the following week (gotta see that new scoreboard!!!!)

Football101
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by Football101 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:05 pm

Last year Pekin had lots of turnovers giving Sterling a lot of short fields. Pekin also had a lot of penalties. Sterling executed perfectly on every opportunity. That is what I really noticed about Sterling not only did they have talent but they played fundamental sound, penalty free football. Hard to play catch-up with that.

This year I hope Pekin fairs better. As long as they can hold on to the ball and keep drives going they can limit Sterlings ability to score, thus keeping the score more respectable.

No prediction from me but tonight should be a good benchmark for Pekin.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:16 pm

NM
Last edited by CIS on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by muss » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:54 pm

Well, Pekin started out 7-0 and then Sterling scores 35 unanswered points, not really a blowout, I think Pekin looks pretty good, no fumbles, no turn overs and Sterling has had at least two fumbles and a turnover interception, Pekin is playing better fundamentally so I’m surprised on the score. Pekin should fair well in the mid Illini conference, I bet 6-3 or even 7-2

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 pm

muss wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:54 pm
Well, Pekin started out 7-0 and then Sterling scores 35 unanswered points, not really a blowout, I think Pekin looks pretty good, no fumbles, no turn overs and Sterling has had at least two fumbles and a turnover interception, Pekin is playing better fundamentally so I’m surprised on the score. Pekin should fair well in the mid Illini conference, I bet 6-3 or even 7-2
NM
Last edited by CIS on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by muss » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 am

I predict right now that Dunlap and Washington will be their only losses, we shall see!

ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ging » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 am

pekin has a lot of good parts - size, athleticism, etc. just need to put it all together.
VCSOMB

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:15 pm

ging wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 am
pekin has a lot of good parts - size, athleticism, etc. just need to put it all together.
NM
Last edited by CIS on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:18 pm

muss wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 am
I predict right now that Dunlap and Washington will be their only losses, we shall see!
Actually Muss, I think Morton and Metamora are :( better than Dunlap. Metamora looked great last night in destroying Rock Island. And Morton rang up a 54-13 win last night over Streator. Dunlap is the one team I think Pekin can possibly upset of the top four in the MI. If they don't beat Dunlap, I don't see Dragons making the playoffs for the second year in row...

Aaron Ferguson
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Aaron Ferguson » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm

CIS wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:16 pm
101, here's the benchmark of the Pekin program - they are mediocre once again! The PJS again predicted a 7-2 record I believe - that gives me a great chuckle! Pekin will miss the playoffs again this year and go 3-6 or 4-5. Talent/size wasted because the coaching staff has no idea on how to coach X's and O's. How do you let a team like Sterling three years in a row get 35 point lead in the first quarter? YOu would think the coaching staff might have some idea or clue on how to at least slow Sterling down and make them work for a score after three years? Tonight is going to be at least 70-14. This is embarrassing to all the fans that came out tonight to watch a home game. I've been saying for years Pekin needs to have their lineman weigh less and be quicker. What good is a bunch of 270 pounders if they are slow? The team needs more overall team quickness. And kudos for Rick Kestner former AD for scheduling Sterling for four years. Four years of 50+ point losses - these losses demoralize the team and fans. Why did we schedule a program like Sterling that is like the NFL compared to Pekin? Some say playing tough competition will make you better - not Pekin. I say play two non conference games that you have at least a chance of winning. After last year Pekin should have high tailed it out - but I guess they signed a four year contract. Thanks Rick! To the new AD, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take Sterling off the schedule and get a team Pekin can at least play with, say Galesburg, East Moline or even an Moline....
Pekin was predicted to go 6-3, actually. Pekin is solid up front on both sides of the ball, which in the preseason is something I was only confident with Washington and Morton from the Mid-Illini. Typically, games are won in the trenches and Pekin has the athletes. We'll see as they have a tough test this week in Dunlap.
Follow me on Twitter @Sports_Aaron

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Aaron - please don't think I am picking on you or anyone else at the PJS personally. You are terrific reporter and wonderful addition to the PJS! :td This has been going on long before you got to the PJS as far as the PJS over predicting Pekin's record. So that is why I joke about the predictions. The fact is you are correct about the importance of returning lines and so forth. On the surface there is nothing wrong with thinking Pekin should go maybe 6-3 or last year the prediction was 7-2 I believe. A few years back before you got here the PJS predicted Pekin to go 8-1 for the year - I think they went 5-4 that year. You look at the returning players, the size (players size and school size), good QBS and some athletes and think - hey they should go 6-3 or whatever. But its all fools gold. Pekin never seems to put the pieces together to do anything special. Year after year you could basically pencil them at 5-4 or 4-5 and be right on the mark. Maybe once in a blue moon a 6-3 record. At least the current program does enough to win 4-5 games instead of going 2-7 like Pekin did 10-12 years ago. But with one playoff win in 15 years or so the program is stuck in mediocrity. I hope I am wrong - I would love to see Pekin go 6-3 this year and even win a playoff game. But after watching the first two games this all seems like a repeat of the last several years. Finally Aaron, I am an IDIOT and should not be taken seriously! :drunk I played way back in the 70's and have followed Pekin for a long time. I have been on these boards since the early 2000's. I am a windbag whose passion sometimes goes overboard while having some fun with tongue in cheek in stuff. Sometimes I even embarrass myself and leave for several months! :oops: But I love high school sports and enjoy talking about them here on these boards. Anyway, keep up the good work and appreciate your stuff! :D

Aaron Ferguson
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Aaron Ferguson » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:58 pm

No offense taken. I was just stating my reasoning behind my prediction, which is still within reach. I do think it's a little goofy that a school of Pekin's size doesn't compete at the top of the M-I across the board. Many have told me that it's because the best athletes don't go out, which may be true.

Thanks for the kind words, "You are terrific reporter and wonderful addition to the PJS! :td," that will allow me to ignore this line, "I am an IDIOT and should not be taken seriously! :drunk." :lol:

Fun fact, I used to love message boards and would love to see these be more active. Thus I want to post more here. I love what high school sports has to offer kids, parents, coaches, administrators and the community-based athletics involved.
Follow me on Twitter @Sports_Aaron

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Aaron Ferguson wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:58 pm
Thanks for the kind words, "You are terrific reporter and wonderful addition to the PJS! :td," that will allow me to ignore this line, "I am an IDIOT and should not be taken seriously! :drunk." :lol:
Yeah, that didn't come out too well Aaron! :D It would be better "I am an IDIOT and MOST times should not be taken seriously!" ;)

As someone who has attended Pekin and had numerous family members attend through the years, I actually think the school these days DOES get a decent amount of its athletes out with the exceptions of a few sports. I just don't think Pekin is a great school athletically for the amount of students. I know some disagree but schools like Washington, Dunlap, Morton and Metamora have far greater student populations of athletes for whatever reason. That being said, I still think Pekin can do a better job of competing in many sports. The school had some great sports teams in the 50's and 60's (two state basketball titles and baseball title) and produced several D-1 basketball players that started in college. And the school did produced several D-1 football players in the 80's and 90's under coach Patton. But those days are long gone and I don't see them ever coming back....

muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by muss » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:23 pm

updated Muss prediction:

Pekin is going to beat Dunlap this Friday knocking them out of the 3rd ranked position in the state, but also out of the top 10 all together.They will then lose to only Washington and Metamora the rest of the season and finish 6-3

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Alright Muss!! :td I do think Pekin has a chance against Dunlap this week but it again depends if they can stop Dunlap's passing game which is improving each week. The Eagles have the starting QB from last years state team and they have some fast and tall receivers (6'3-6'5). Pekin has a definite size advantage and hopefully they can run the ball and control the line. I actually think Morton will beat Pekin rather easily this year as they did last year - Morton has way too much speed and offense for Pekin and will put up at least 50 points like they did last year against the Dragons. So to me, the game tomorrow will determine if Pekin makes the playoff or not this year...

muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by muss » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Just trust me, I’m always right ask Ging. Lol
:td

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:58 pm

muss wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:32 pm
Just trust me, I’m always right ask Ging. Lol
:td
I am a believer! :D

muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by muss » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:39 pm

muss wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:23 pm
updated Muss prediction:

Pekin is going to beat Dunlap this Friday knocking them out of the 3rd ranked position in the state, but also out of the top 10 all together.They will then lose to only Washington and Metamora the rest of the season and finish 6-3
I almost nailed it, If Pekin wouldn’t have given it to them, dang it!

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Muss, I became a believer buddy! But you let me down man :evil: :D Like I predicted, Pekin did have a chance in this game and truthfully should have won it but...but...but...you have to account for the coaching staff. Muss, you or Ging said Pekin should be fine if they put all the pieces together - we've all been saying that for YEARS. Same thing - bad turnovers, bad penalties, bad play calling, bad preparation, sloppy pay. TEN YEARS of this. If it's one year, you can blame the a group of player, but after ten years you start to look at the coaching staff and program itself. Year after year Pekin has size, usually a good QB, some skill players but ends up mediocre. Ah well, 4-5 here we come! :td

Alvin Mack

Post by Alvin Mack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:21 pm

What “program?” Retention is bad. Play calling, specifically defensive adjustments are non-existent. Do we even coach tackling. Tonight was somehow a worse display of tackling than the Sterling game. I honestly didn’t think that was possible. This team was supposed to be great when they were Sophs. There’s still talent out there, but they are so poorly coached, they don’t have a chance at the playoffs. As CIS said, ten plus years of this crap! Hopefully the new AD addresses the issues. Like it or not, parents will move their kids to a respected program with solid coaching. It’s already happened and getting worse.
Go Dawgs!