Long time Peoria coach/administrator passes away

For the civil discussion of large school football.
94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Long time Peoria coach/administrator passes away

Post by 94 Knight » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:54 pm

This is a couple days old but defanitely worth sharring: http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20180905/p ... dies-at-82. Condolences to Joe and the rest of the Heid family.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Long time Peoria coach/administrator passes away

Post by CIS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Coach Heid became head coach at Bergan in 1966 and coached until 1978 I do believe (Merv Heycock, Spalding long time coach, became head Trojan coach in 1979). Heid was actually an assistant for Merv at Spalding in '63 and '64. Heid did a great job at Bergan. Though much smaller than all other MS-9 schools, his teams were always tough and well prepared. I actually bumped into him in a game when a play went out of bounds and a bunch of us got tangled up and almost knocked him down. I looked up and saw a large man! But I always enjoyed his comments in the papers - he had a great sense of humor even when his teams lost....RIP Coach Heid- job well down!

Irish4
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Irish4 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:45 pm

The stories and outpouring of support has been awesome.
Also good to see some of the cowards that had plenty to say over the years have kept their mouths shut out of respect for a great coach and a great guy!
We appreciate the support!
"For kids, the benefits of a great education will far exceed the intangibles of playing any sport."

- Reggie Williams - LB CFHOF

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:09 pm

In the 60's and 70's you had a great group of coaches in the MS-9. Smith at Manual/East Peoria, Hinrichs at Manual, Heycock at Spalding/Bergan, Heid at Bergan, Jameson and Lavery at Central, Kasap at Limestone, Venturi at Pekin and of course Peeler at Richwoods. Some real fine football coaches and human beings in that group. Sadly, most of them have passed on....