Morton @ Pekin

For the civil discussion of large school football.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Morton @ Pekin

Post by CIS » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 pm

I am somewhat shocked that some are picking Pekin to win this! :shock: Last year Morton won 66-44(that is right -66 points!!) and they have their entire backfield back and most of their line! Pekin couldn't stop those guys last year - it seemed that Donald and Grider(is that his name?) were scoring every time they touched the ball on 80 yard runs or passes. The Potter averaged over ten yards a carry. I know some think last weeks game against Canton showed that Morton is not good but remember - last year Canton beat Morton. And last Friday, the weather was icky and slippery. The Potters got out to 20-0 lead in second quarter and basically just went into cruise control. They will be up this Friday and I dare say that it would not surprise me if Morton put up another 50-60 points on Pekin. The Dragons just don't know how to stop teams like the offensive schemes/speed that teams like Morton has. And Pekin's offense is not as good (at this point) as last year so I don't think this will be a shootout. I am thinking 54-21 type score. I actually felt better about last week and stated that I thought Pekin could beat Dunlap (and they should have!). But I have NO confidence in this weeks game. I would love it if I was wrong and would be the first to eat my words (I don't make stupid claims about running naked down Court street in Pekin if Dragons win - almost had to do that several years ago! :D )

young guns
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: Morton @ Pekin

Post by young guns » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:45 pm

CIS wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 pm
I am somewhat shocked that some are picking Pekin to win this! :shock: Last year Morton won 66-44(that is right -66 points!!) and they have their entire backfield back and most of their line! Pekin couldn't stop those guys last year - it seemed that Donald and Grider(is that his name?) were scoring every time they touched the ball on 80 yard runs or passes. The Potter averaged over ten yards a carry. I know some think last weeks game against Canton showed that Morton is not good but remember - last year Canton beat Morton. And last Friday, the weather was icky and slippery. The Potters got out to 20-0 lead in second quarter and basically just went into cruise control. They will be up this Friday and I dare say that it would not surprise me if Morton put up another 50-60 points on Pekin. The Dragons just don't know how to stop teams like the offensive schemes/speed that teams like Morton has. And Pekin's offense is not as good (at this point) as last year so I don't think this will be a shootout. I am thinking 54-21 type score. I actually felt better about last week and stated that I thought Pekin could beat Dunlap (and they should have!). But I have NO confidence in this weeks game. I would love it if I was wrong and would be the first to eat my words (I don't make stupid claims about running naked down Court street in Pekin if Dragons win - almost had to do that several years ago! :D )
Pekin will be a good test for Morton. Looking forward to it.
To judge Morton cause they only beat Canton by 18 is a little odd. Canton's QB is 6'-3" and about 225# and I think their O & D lines were bigger than Morton as well. It was obvious their plan was to keep Morton's offense on the sideline. The QB carried the ball 46 times and even when they were down a couple of TDs their game plan didn't change much other than running a few more misdirection plays. They took their time, everybody lined up between the tackles and ran up the middle with the QB, mostly. Canton's second TD came with a short field after they read a swing pass (lateral) perfectly and the ball was dropped then the scrum for the ball took it back another 10 or 15 yards. I would be interesting to see if Canton plays the same kind of game against EP this week or if they open it up more.
Morton lost Getz in the backfield but he was replaced by Grampp and I don't think they lost much there. Donald and Crider are still there and can score on any play plus 4 of the 5 offensive linemen are back.
They had to score 66 last year, they gave up 44! So far the defense looks better than last year, we'll see if they really are.
Like said several times last year you don't have to score so much if you stop the other guy.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Actually, I feel that Morton is better than Dunlap this year. They have all their skill guys back and most of their lines. This is a veteran team. I was really hoping Pekin would've beaten Dunlap last week. That way, there would not be as much pressure to beat Morton to make the playoffs. I have no hope that Pekin can beat Washington or Metamora. So Morton is the last hope and I just don't see it happening. This is turning out like last year - preseason Pekin is thought to be a darkhorse and go 6-3 and all that, then they go 4-5 and miss the playoffs. And it's funny, the coach before season started said that they left too many points on the field last year and that THIS year things were going to be different. Well, against Dunlap they did the same thing. They really should have won that game... :?

muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by muss » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:57 am

This may be the week Pekin Pulls it altogether??!!?? :td
but then again, you just made me contemplate changing my pick to Morton :roll:

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:56 pm

muss wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:57 am
This may be the week Pekin Pulls it altogether??!!?? :td
but then again, you just made me contemplate changing my pick to Morton :roll:
Ha Ha! :jokerc Besides Muss, you got me all jacked up about the Pekin-Dunlap game - I believed! :( The phrase "this may be the week Pekin pulls it altogether" has been heard for the last ten years! Maybe one of these weeks Pekin does pull it together - maybe even THIS week! :D Nahhh.....not going to happen

muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by muss » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:31 pm

I picked Pekin because I believe they are better than the game I saw against Sterling and Morton hasint played anyone yet. Good luck CIS

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:03 pm

They should be better but what you saw against Sterling was the real Pekin. :( I would say good luck to you guys, but at this point Sterling doesn't need luck! Hey the game's hasn't even started yet and Pekin is already down 14-0! :td

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 pm

47-21 Hogs in 3rd
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”