Pekins future?

For the civil discussion of large school football.
Alvin Mack

Re: Pekins future?

Post by Alvin Mack » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:18 pm

I completely agree with almost every point CIS made. I am part of the silent majority who is sick and tired of mediocrity at Pekin. I mentioned on another post that eventually parents will move their kid out of the district. That has already started to happen at Pekin. Very few have the energy to come voice their opinions on this forum. But go to a JFL game or Kouris on a Friday night and actually talk to fans, parents, or former players. We don't want a losing football team. Winning football teams rub off onto the entire community. It's contagious bro!
Go Dawgs!

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:45 pm

1. I agreed with your sentiments, but the bro ruins it for me.
2. I don't think anyone sits down and says "You know what would be awesome? Having a losing program."

Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Bballnut » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:03 pm

I appreciate the passion of the Pekin fans in this discussion. Everyone wants to be competitive and WIN. What I'm saying is in high school it's just not that easy to unload an entire coaching staff and find your dream coach. Every school must have most of their educators fulfill multiple extra curricular roles, including coaching.Bottom line is positions may not be open unless some of the guys you wish to remove, resign. Dunno.
Looking at that Pekin team last week, they should have been at least competitive. They appeared to be beat when they got off the bus, much like the majority of M-I when they played Metamora the last 15-20 years. Is that coaching, or is that just kids not believing in themselves? I have no answer, or more simple, dunno.
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Bobby Thigpen wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:21 pm
CIS wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:23 pm
Where did I say it was high paying job? Try actually reading what I was saying. My point is that since this IS a paid job and not a volunteer job then there can be a little more scrutiny of position than say a volunteer JFL coach or something like that. Oh by the way, you seem to disparage Dale Patton by saying his "enormous two years". Uh, gee, I would say a second place state trophy and 17-7 record is pretty good! (the previous four years before Patton, St. Theresa was only 19-17 with NO playoffs and it would take THIRTY years after Patton left for St. Theresa to make it back to state title game). So what was your point? My only point about Dale Patton is that he had some success as a head coach before assuming Pekin job, thus I was making a larger point that Pekin should try to find someone that HAS been successful as a head coach. BTW Mr. Thigpen, Patton was head and shoulders above the current Pekin coach in coaching ability. It is interesting that some act like a varsity head coach is beyond criticism, that somehow its wrong to actually ask what is going on with a program. Is it wrong after ten years to expect some success? Maybe one conference championship, maybe a winning record that is least a few games over .500? Is it wrong to expect better performance than to constantly hear "can't figure out Pekin, they never seem to be able to put the pieces together". Geez, while Pekin may not be a good sports school, many programs ranging from cross country, volleyball to even the baseball program has won at least ONE Mid Illini championship in the last ten years. But Pekin has only contended ONCE for a football championship in ten years and missed. Let that sink in - ONE time in ten years actually being in the championship hunt. It's not like Pekin hasn't had talent. The PJS and others constantly place Pekin in the preseason as conference challengers/darkhorses but most of the time Pekin constantly under performs. Of course there are some schools locally that would NOT keep a coach of ten years with losing record and one playoff win - they have different expectations. But to some it seems that a coach is given a lifetime free hand, records don't matter, success doesn't matter - coach as long as you want.....
1. I thought you were done posting about this.
2. You need a hobby man.
I thought I was done posting but guess not! :td This is a hobby bobby! I personally don't care if you don't like me because truth be told I don't care for you either. You don't really contribute much to these boards which is for discussion and opinions. I enjoy the discussion on these boards, they are nice way to be connected to my old home area. They are also a nice way to spend a few moments from the pressures of work and life. I enjoy the relationships over the last 10-15 years and even call of some of these fellow posters friends. I have even met a few of the posters at various games and events in the Peoria area when I got down there. While I do go on rants about Pekin football, I do give a lot of shout outs to Pekin sports and other teams/individuals as well. Most of my discussions are benign and even light hearted. And yes, there are a few times over the years that things can get heated in certain discussions. But it's all good. For the most part you don't really have anything pertinent to add to this discussion, in fact, you seem to agree with some points made. You just seem to want to jump in to personally attack and be snarky. And that's fine, I don't really care Bobby! I am not going away - I will be on here next week, next month and next year Lord willing! :)

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Bballnut wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:03 pm
I appreciate the passion of the Pekin fans in this discussion. Everyone wants to be competitive and WIN. What I'm saying is in high school it's just not that easy to unload an entire coaching staff and find your dream coach. Every school must have most of their educators fulfill multiple extra curricular roles, including coaching.Bottom line is positions may not be open unless some of the guys you wish to remove, resign. Dunno.
Looking at that Pekin team last week, they should have been at least competitive. They appeared to be beat when they got off the bus, much like the majority of M-I when they played Metamora the last 15-20 years. Is that coaching, or is that just kids not believing in themselves? I have no answer, or more simple, dunno.
Bballnut is not really passion as much as frustration and being tired of seeing the same thing year after year. Is it on the kids only, if year after year, with different classes and groups of kids, you see the same results? Somewhere we have to stop blaming the kids and start blaming the coaching. You said it yourself about last week - Pekin should have been competitive. This is a team with ALL of their starting linemen and other starting positions returning from last year including a 6'6 300 pound EIU recruit. A team many thought would go at least 6-3 this year. I didn't expect Pekin to win last week but to be down 42-0 at the half is just poor execution. I would also add that last year Washington only beat Pekin 27-22 with many of the same players returning. Pekin should have beaten Dunlap this year, outplayed them between the 20's, but comments from non-Pekin fans was that they threw the game away with bad play calling and poor execution. Their words not mine.If there is a lack of preparation, sloppiness, bad play calling, bad defensive schemes, bad tackling, a lack of in game adjustments year after year, you need to start blaming the coaching staff and program. These are the things you see for most years in Pekin. This is not East Peoria or Limestone, schools which most years has trouble with numbers, overall size and athletes. Pekin has numbers, great size (one of biggest teams in MI), and some athletes. And I do agree, you can't let go of an entire coaching staff - just a figure of speech. You can though hire a new head coach who will set the tone/direction for a program. There are many head coaches who make a huge difference in their programs and kids.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 pm

When you hire mediocre coaches you get below ave. teams. Pekin belongs in the Mid-Illini as the schools in that conference can field teams in all sports which is why they got away from the Peoria schools.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Nobody thinks Pekin doesn't belong in the Mid Illini. Even as bad as they are, in football they usually beat Limestone, East Peoria and Canton, and even sometimes Morton/Dunlap. It just that the Dragons should do better. Anyway, here is how bad the team has performed this year. Against Sterling, Washington, Metamora and Morton the defense has given up 202 points! That's over 50 points a game while allowing almost 560 yards a game against those teams :shock: The Dragons have been outscored in those four games 202-69 (34 scored against Morton). This from a team that had all their starting linemen from last year returning. The offense has really been disappointing despite entire O-line returning. They have not been able to run the ball very well despite averaging 250 pounds and having an EIU recruit on the line. There has been a real regression with this team - last year Washington beat Pekin by only five (0-0 halftime) while Pekin lost by only ten to Metamora after leading in the third quarter. Pekin had just about as many starters returning as Washington/Metamora and yet this year they were down 42-0 and 35-7 at halftime against these schools. It's been a very disappointing two years with missing the playoffs both years. Finally, last night the coach of Pekin said about upcoming opponents Limestone and East Peoria - we will be ready, we're not going to back down. With those teams sporting 1-6 and 2-5 records, why would you say we are not going to back down? I would think Pekin will be heavily favored in those games. In fact, Pekin should beat those teams by 20-30 points. The time to not back down is against teams like Metamora or even Dunlap. Fact is, Pekin has not shown up for most of their games this year. Much more was expected.

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:44 am

CIS wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:56 pm

I thought I was done posting but guess not! :td This is a hobby bobby! I personally don't care if you don't like me because truth be told I don't care for you either. You don't really contribute much to these boards which is for discussion and opinions. I enjoy the discussion on these boards, they are nice way to be connected to my old home area. They are also a nice way to spend a few moments from the pressures of work and life. I enjoy the relationships over the last 10-15 years and even call of some of these fellow posters friends. I have even met a few of the posters at various games and events in the Peoria area when I got down there. While I do go on rants about Pekin football, I do give a lot of shout outs to Pekin sports and other teams/individuals as well. Most of my discussions are benign and even light hearted. And yes, there are a few times over the years that things can get heated in certain discussions. But it's all good. For the most part you don't really have anything pertinent to add to this discussion, in fact, you seem to agree with some points made. You just seem to want to jump in to personally attack and be snarky. And that's fine, I don't really care Bobby! I am not going away - I will be on here next week, next month and next year Lord willing! :)
So, you don't even live in Pekin, or watch their games?

Baseball Junkie

Post by Baseball Junkie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 pm

I see things changing in Pekin in very near future with Nutter as head coach. Things are blowing from across the river on him.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:53 pm

Baseball Junkie wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 pm
I see things changing in Pekin in very near future with Nutter as head coach. Things are blowing from across the river on him.
What is blowing across the river - another coaching position? :drunk