Washington @ Metamora

For the civil discussion of large school football.
Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Washington @ Metamora

Post by Cristobal »

Thoughts and predictions for next weeks game. Both the Freshman and Varsity should be great games. GBG, you better be there buddy.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Washington @ Metamora

Post by O&B 78 »

What time will the gate open? Will the west gate be open to get in? My pick will be Washington ;)
I read the back of the Book, You lose.
bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck »

I think this will be close for maybe the 1st half but I think Washington pulls away and wins by 14-17 points. I think Washington has more defense. What might be interesting to see is which team throws more, both teams are capable of doing it.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Forgot.... How big will the 50/50 be?
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

Cristobal wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 pm Thoughts and predictions for next weeks game. Both the Freshman and Varsity should be great games. GBG, you better be there buddy.
Sadly we will be short one mutt that night.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

Not budging off me preseason pick of Washington +21 or more against the MI. Metamora does have the puncher's chance in that they can throw the ball a little bit. Wish this game was on turf as the team has seemingly played their best games on turf this year.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Reggie wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:48 am Not budging off me preseason pick of Washington +21 or more against the MI. Metamora does have the puncher's chance in that they can throw the ball a little bit. Wish this game was on turf as the team has seemingly played their best games on turf this year.
We would be happy to host, have Pat call Darrell ;)
cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

Cant see the Birds winning this one. Panthers line is much better, both offense and defense. Birds might keep it close for a quarter or two,, but not for the whole game. Washington +21 and on to the 6a playoffs but dont expect them in the title game. Birds might make it to the quarterfinals.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Both teams are peaking at the right time. It would be nice to have an exciting game but I do think Washington has a bit too much. You are looking at a potential state champion. I wonder if the game will be high scoring or will the defenses stand up. I would lean towards a higher scoring game. Hopefully no blowout....
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

GoBirdsGo II wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:14 pm
CIS wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm I do think Washington has a bit too much. You are looking at a potential state champion.
Ummmm, I respectfully disagree.
Well I did say potential state champion because once you get into the playoffs you never know. They are a pretty solid team with good size, good run game and good QB. Defense seems pretty good also. But I don't know if they will be 6A or 5A and I couldn't tell you at the moment who the top teams are around the state so you certainly could be right! :fro
Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal »

Reggie wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 am
Cristobal wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 pm Thoughts and predictions for next weeks game. Both the Freshman and Varsity should be great games. GBG, you better be there buddy.
Sadly we will be short one mutt that night.
That’s a shame.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy
MadHatter555
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MadHatter555 »

GoBirdsGo II wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:14 pm
CIS wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm I do think Washington has a bit too much. You are looking at a potential state champion.
Ummmm, I respectfully disagree.
We will have to get you opinion again around 10pm Friday....I try not to go overboard on things, but I have been watching HS football for a very long time, and have not seen a team dominate in every game like the Panthers have this year. Morton was the closest game, but it felt like Washington was playing with them a little bit by going with the 2 FB/ 2 TE sets and just cramming the ball down their throats. If they have a weakness, nobody has really exposed it yet. I am hoping for a close game, because I would like to see how this team reacts under some pressure.
:td
cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

So far this year Washington has been solidly in 6A in all the "if there was a playoff today" projections. Dont see how they can possibly fall down enough to make 5A. Would sure be nice to see both the Birds do well in 5A and the Panthers do well in 6A. Two teams 7 miles apart in same conference, wow. Of course Morton will have something to say about that for the Birds down the road.

Seen both teams play this year. Gotta give Washington a huge edge, mainly because of their running game. Bout unstoppable. Birds have a slight edge in passing IMO, but there are just too many thing that have to go right to get it done in the air....

Either way, gonna be a lot of excitement friday nite a tMalone Field. Be there or be square.
Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Bballnut »

Panthers haven't seen a good passing team yet. Way back in week 1, Mahomet S went right down the field throwing the ball on 1st drive. The subsequent adjustments made stopped them from there on, but the pessimist in me remembers that drive.
Having said that, the Birds havent seen a D line like they wiil see Friday. Should be a good one. After all, it is Friday night HS football
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.
The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told »

.Fwiw CP has it (N) 31-24 Panthers.
Buckeye Bob

Post by Buckeye Bob »

MadHatter555 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 pm We will have to get you opinion again around 10pm Friday....I try not to go overboard on things, but I have been watching HS football for a very long time, and have not seen a team dominate in every game like the Panthers have this year. Morton was the closest game, but it felt like Washington was playing with them a little bit by going with the 2 FB/ 2 TE sets and just cramming the ball down their throats. If they have a weakness, nobody has really exposed it yet. I am hoping for a close game, because I would like to see how this team reacts under some pressure.
I too have been watching HS football a long time (50 years). When Morton played Washington at no time during the game did I feel we were going to win. Although without the terrible turnovers the score would have been much closer. As far as cramming the ball down Morton's throat, any average team can do that against Morton. Sometimes I believe we don't even practice defense. The Metamora game was close the whole way with both teams scoring at will (98 total points). All this to say Washington will score a lot and Metamora some. I expect a result similar to Washington/Morton with a 4 TD spread at the end.
"Success - it 's what you do with what you've got." ..... Wayne Woodrow "Woody" Hayes
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

GoBirdsGo II wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 pm I get the hoopla over this game, it's Metamora vs Washington and what more, they're both undefeated. But, as far as "Game of the Week" goes, IMHO, I humbly disagree. One team is going to be 9-0 eventually, the other 8-1 and both will host first round playoff games. Washington has been pinned for 9-0 since this group was Freshmen and other than the fact Metamora was 4-5 last year, 8-1 would be a wonderful turnaround and it's not as if a successful Football season in Metamora is that big of a stretch.

When you look at the slate of games this week in the area, large & small school, IMO, there are many more games that are "bigger", or just as big, as this one. Washington's and Metamora playoff fate has been determined. There are so many other local schools whose future will be decided this week & next. Turn in the pads after week 9 or suit up for one more week. That's freaking huge!!!! Watch Mattson's & Pegler's team previews again. What's the #1 mantra? "We wanna make the playoffs!" Again, for many local schools, those dreams will either be shattered, kept alive, or secured this week.

To be honest, Manual/Urbana has more allure to me than Metamora/Washington. Go ahead and laugh. I get it. I know y'all will call me nuts. But, this will be these kids Super Bowl, esp. for the Seniors. This is their one & only chance to get a "W" for 2018. No offense, but, Urbana is not going to beat NW week 9 nor is Manual going to beat Cham. Central. This is it!!!! Barring death or dismemberment, I will be at this game Saturday. Can't wait to see the pure joy of the victor & my heart will go out to the team that comes up short.
Interesting thoughts. I've done the same thing over the years - gone to game with nothing on line like Urbana-Manual and sometimes its a very enjoyable experience. And I've gone to week nine game before where whoever loses is out of the playoffs -that's intense. That being said, if I was in the Peoria area I would head over to see Metamora-Washington because of two outstanding teams and history between teams. But hey, I would also head over to Urbana-Manual to see some of that game since its on a Saturday....
Jholls
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Jholls »

Ok...Friday is for the Mid Illini Championship. Both teams are undefeated and State ranked. I don't think too many are surprised Washington is where the are but The Birds being undefeated and ranked 7th is more than a bit of a surprise....they are much improved from last season. That being said my heart says Metamora will win this game but my brain says Washington by 21. Can Metamora's D slow down the Panther offense? Can the Birds match TD's with them? Don't know but I'm dying to find out. Looking forward to Friday....real football weather. Malone will be rocking.....50/50 over $1500.

Here is to a good game Friday. May both teams come out of it healthy.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

With only a few days before the big game, can anyone of the Redbird fans tell me when was the last time the Redbirds played a game like this one. I can recall some past playoff games that I attended, but don’t recall one where they are undefeated and conference title and state ranking are on the line.
go cubs go!
Oskee

Post by Oskee »

deejay wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:42 pm With only a few days before the big game, can anyone of the Redbird fans tell me when was the last time the Redbirds played a game like this one. I can recall some past playoff games that I attended, but don’t recall one where they are undefeated and conference title and state ranking are on the line.
2006 vs Morton in week 8.
Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal »

I think Washington’s passing game comes out this week. Spread that metamora defense. Just like the first drive of the Morris game. Passed all the way down then stopped passing that game.

If metamora’s defense plays well, Washington’s has good pass coverage and metamora’s line can protect their QB, it should be a good game.
bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck »

Metamora will struggle with stopping Washington's run game. On top of that, I do think that Washington will throw a little more than they have this season. IMO, Washington has the more complete team then Metamora. If Washington controls the clock and can run the ball like they have they will win this one relatively easily. Washington +21
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

deejay wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:42 pm With only a few days before the big game, can anyone of the Redbird fans tell me when was the last time the Redbirds played a game like this one. I can recall some past playoff games that I attended, but don’t recall one where they are undefeated and conference title and state ranking are on the line.
Last time Metamora played this late in the season for a MI title was 1984 when they won 19-14 on a muddy Carper Field in week nine. I believe a trick play had a huge impact on the final outcome. Something tells me Oskee may have some better details than I could provide.
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

GoBirdsGo II wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 pm I get the hoopla over this game, it's Metamora vs Washington and what more, they're both undefeated. But, as far as "Game of the Week" goes, IMHO, I humbly disagree. One team is going to be 9-0 eventually, the other 8-1 and both will host first round playoff games. Washington has been pinned for 9-0 since this group was Freshmen and other than the fact Metamora was 4-5 last year, 8-1 would be a wonderful turnaround and it's not as if a successful Football season in Metamora is that big of a stretch.

When you look at the slate of games this week in the area, large & small school, IMO, there are many more games that are "bigger", or just as big, as this one. Washington's and Metamora playoff fate has been determined. There are so many other local schools whose future will be decided this week & next. Turn in the pads after week 9 or suit up for one more week. That's freaking huge!!!! Watch Mattson's & Pegler's team previews again. What's the #1 mantra? "We wanna make the playoffs!" Again, for many local schools, those dreams will either be shattered, kept alive, or secured this week.

To be honest, Manual/Urbana has more allure to me than Metamora/Washington. Go ahead and laugh. I get it. I know y'all will call me nuts. But, this will be these kids Super Bowl, esp. for the Seniors. This is their one & only chance to get a "W" for 2018. No offense, but, Urbana is not going to beat NW week 9 nor is Manual going to beat Cham. Central. This is it!!!! Barring death or dismemberment, I will be at this game Saturday. Can't wait to see the pure joy of the victor & my heart will go out to the team that comes up short.
You can dismiss this game any way you want but this is the biggest Mid-Illini game that Malone Field has ever hosted. It is the biggest game the field has seen since the 2009 Rochester semifinal. Never have these two schools played so late in the season with unbeaten records. Never have these schools played so late in the season with a conference title on the line. Sure, quite a bit of this is due to the Mid-Illini putting this game in week eight instead of week three of four where it would have been seen as an early season test but not the epic game it will be come Friday night.

As for Urbana and Manual, I am glad this game brings you excitement. But let's not over hype how much the game means to the kids. I have played on crap teams and I can tell you that most of the kids are more than ready to get the season over with and move on to basketball, wrestling, or whatever in their life comes up next. Considering the lack of importance football has with these schools I am guessing that few if any kids have had this game marked on their calendar all year long. Win the game, so what? That still does not make them a good team nor does it make up for the beatings they have taken during the course of the year. Whether the Washington-Metamora game is close or a blow out people will remember it years from now. How about naming the greatest IVC-East Peoria game from 1984-2005 if you were not a player, parent, or fan of either school?

Thought so.