Washington @ Metamora

For the civil discussion of large school football.
redbirdfootball
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: Washington @ Metamora

Post by redbirdfootball » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Forum friends, please enter updates on the game tonight. I am in St Louis area for my nephews senior night football game.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:46 pm

O&B 78 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 pm
CIS wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 pm
Two great coaches, two outstanding undefeated teams, two fantastic programs, late season showdown, big rivalry and two excellent fan bases. Couldn't ask for more than that :td
A historic scamper at Stamper?
Most impressive from that night was CIS scoring five student nurses after the game all by himself and four could not report to work the next day.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:17 am

For all intended purposes, sounds like this game was as anticlimactic as I thought it would be and the game I was gonna go to had my daughter not asked me to go to Lion King, Bloomington @ Peoria High, was the Game of the Week!!!! Glad I spent time with the fam but am bummed I missed a great game. Hopefully my 2 games today, Manual/Urbana & PND/Lockport, will be good ones. :td
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Surprised no one has brought up the safety call. Mattson's video shows Hall is on about the half foot line when he's grabbed and spun into the end zone. That and the return is a 9 pt. swing. Wonder how the game might have been different?
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

Buckeye Bob
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Buckeye Bob » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:17 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:00 pm
Surprised no one has brought up the safety call. Mattson's video shows Hall is on about the half foot line when he's grabbed and spun into the end zone. That and the return is a 9 pt. swing. Wonder how the game might have been different?
You are being generous. On the video the ball was at least at the 1 yard line when he was hit. Terrible call and yes a 9 point swing.
"Success - it 's what you do with what you've got." ..... Wayne Woodrow "Woody" Hayes

Orange man

Post by Orange man » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:50 pm

So Washington would have won by 6 instead of 15. What's your point. If you want to start picking the officials apart there were a couple questionable in the third quarter.

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Orange man wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:50 pm
So Washington would have won by 6 instead of 15. What's your point. If you want to start picking the officials apart there were a couple questionable in the third quarter.
I actually have to agree. I was thinking about certain calls as well. For that matter I have seen bad calls or no calls all season. This has to be the worst season I have seen with officials.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 pm

BIRDGRAD87 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 am
crkamm wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 am
BIRDGRAD87 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:57 am

Hook and Lateral-Holman to Hargis to ? Great Play!!!
Vigers wasn't it?
That's what I was thinking but couldn't remember for sure.
Sorry, haven't been on to see this earlier.
Eric Holman to Dan Hargis to Drew Delaney.
Keith Viggers was a bruising fullback (who clinched the first of his two Mid-Illini Rushing titles that night), but he wasn't known for great speed. Hargis wouldn't have stayed upright long enough for Viggs to have gotten there. :P

Oskee

Post by Oskee » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Cristobal wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:34 pm
I actually have to agree. I was thinking about certain calls as well. For that matter I have seen bad calls or no calls all season. This has to be the worst season I have seen with officials.
We were spoiled for decades in both local sportswriting and officiating and we never knew. "In our day", we griped about what Bob Leavitt had to say, but you knew your game was important if he covered it. Same with officials. They all made us grumble a bit, but there were only a few locals that you knew were going to rook ya. Now you leave a game trying to figure where/how something as simple as clock management or ball placement was fouled up. It's likely just going to get worse. Fans yell at officials to go back to JFL. JFL can't recruit, train, and retain enough officials themselves yet alone groom them for the next level. OIPs are driving them off there too. :roll:

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:27 am

I would say it was a 2 point swing. No one knows what the next couple bird plays would have brought. Maybe the next snap Hall gets sacked for a safety. Maybe the birds get rhe ball is it to their own 20 and have to punt and Walter has the same return as the free kick? Which was just a good return, not a TD. The only thing we know is it was a 2 point swing. No way to know if the birds would have gotten a TD on that possession or if the panthers wouldn’t have gotten a TD on their next possession
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

PHS85
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by PHS85 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 am

I have been to 4 or 5 Redbird games this year and the one glaring weakness that I have seen is the defensive backfield. The front 7 do a pretty good job, but not so much for the DB's. A perfect example of this was them trying to knock the ball away for 20+ yds instead of just tackling the guy. Those 7 points hurt more than the safety.

Other than trying to get the "big hit" and the associated personal foul penalties, they as a group try to arm tackle or just push the person down. Opposing team have to see this in film and know that if they can make it into the second level they are good to go...

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Orange man wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:50 pm
What's your point.
My point is, and I think it's pretty easy to understand(except for you apparently), as a Football fan first, how if a safety isn't called what may, or may not have happened, and possibly how the game may have changed. In my world it's interesting to entertain what if???

Don't worry Orange man, I'm not discrediting the fact you won the game.

Omaha
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Omaha » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Does anyone know the Washington metamora freshman sophomore scores? I thought both freshman teams were having good seasons

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Washington swept
Frosh OT 22-14
JV 31-14
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Omaha wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm
Does anyone know the Washington metamora freshman sophomore scores? I thought both freshman teams were having good seasons
Both freshman teams are doing great. The game yesterday was awesome. Good future for both programs.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy