East Peoria Football....

For the civil discussion of large school football.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

East Peoria Football....

Post by CIS »

As much as I rant about Pekin's football fortunes, East Peoria's football program has really struggled even worse the last several years. This year the varsity and freshman teams have struggled (don't know much about soph/jv). Believe, me I am not knocking the Raiders - would like to see them turn things around. Any hope for East Peoria on in the horizon? How is the new coach (they have new/newer coach or am I wrong??) working out? I believe the last time East Peoria had winning team was in 2012 - pretty good team that went 7-3 I believe. I know Doug Martin had a few good teams from 2008-2012 with two or three teams making the playoff.
PHS85
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Re: East Peoria Football....

Post by PHS85 »

Unfortunately probably not any time soon. I know an EP JFL coach and let's say it has been eye opening for him since he played JFL and High School ball in Metamora. From what he has told me the issues are:

1. JFL teams have to compete for the best athletes but when you have a loosing culture none of them want to play football
2. General "we always loose and its okay" attitude of the players
3. #2 causes general don't care attitude at practice and they don't get any better
4. #1,2 causes low turn out so can only field 13-14 players and all get to play a significant amount of time, since they have no competetion for playing time.

I don't know how you fix those issues in the short term, fix those issues would have to be a multi-year effort and if they don't have a consistant message from all JFL levels it won't matter in the long term either.
young guns
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by young guns »

PHS85 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 pm Unfortunately probably not any time soon. I know an EP JFL coach and let's say it has been eye opening for him since he played JFL and High School ball in Metamora. From what he has told me the issues are:

1. JFL teams have to compete for the best athletes but when you have a loosing culture none of them want to play football
2. General "we always loose and its okay" attitude of the players
3. #2 causes general don't care attitude at practice and they don't get any better
4. #1,2 causes low turn out so can only field 13-14 players and all get to play a significant amount of time, since they have no competetion for playing time.

I don't know how you fix those issues in the short term, fix those issues would have to be a multi-year effort and if they don't have a consistant message from all JFL levels it won't matter in the long term either.
A losing culture is a tough thing when it takes hold. You need a strong coach at the top and few years to turn things around.
This is nothing new at EP. I know a couple of guys, good athletes, who didn’t play football cause they didn’t want to be on a losing team. They’re both getting close to 40 now.
MadHatter555
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MadHatter555 »

It seems like I hear more about EP coaches playing the political game in all sports than I do any other school. That is a very bad thing. Eventually the kids who don't have the connections just fade off. Right now baseball and football seem to be plagued by this, and I am not sure why the coaches fall into that trap.

I heard rumors from some EP parents that they will lose quite a few players next year, as even with a small team, the coach has done a poor job of keeping kids involved. Several juniors have not played at all behind equal or lesser talented sophs. I would think you would want as many bodies as possible, so keeping kids happy would make sense. Allegedly several juniors refused to play in the JV games because of this. Does not sound good...Really is a shame.
:td
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

Be careful, CIS. I once pondered the fortune of EP football and was the fortunate recipient of an email from a college kid who proceeded to tell me how college-educated he was and how a *** like myself is not intelligent enough to determine which teams are good and which teams are bad. :lol:
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher
crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by crkamm »

Reggie wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:01 pm Be careful, CIS. I once pondered the fortune of EP football and was the fortunate recipient of an email from a college kid who proceeded to tell me how college-educated he was and how a *** like myself is not intelligent enough to determine which teams are good and which teams are bad. :lol:
And don't you feel more enlightened for having been the beneficiary of his/her insightfulness? :jokerc
THE LEGEND! As crowned by Johnny Mac
Scientifically proven to be 1.84 X more intelligent than the "Officially recognized Smartest Poster on the Boards".
jmc wrote:you were advanced for your age.
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

crkamm wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:42 am
Reggie wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:01 pm Be careful, CIS. I once pondered the fortune of EP football and was the fortunate recipient of an email from a college kid who proceeded to tell me how college-educated he was and how a *** like myself is not intelligent enough to determine which teams are good and which teams are bad. :lol:
And don't you feel more enlightened for having been the beneficiary of his/her insightfulness? :jokerc
My initial thought that day was that his tirade was grammatically incorrect because until one actually graduates from college they are not “college educated”. And is showed the youthfulness believing that having a degree somehow makes one smarter than people who do not. Do I need to provide examples? :dustin
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher
crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by crkamm »

Reggie wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:45 pm
crkamm wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:42 am
My initial thought that day was that his tirade was grammatically incorrect because until one actually graduates from college they are not “college educated”. And is showed the youthfulness believing that having a degree somehow makes one smarter than people who do not. Do I need to provide examples? :dustin
So if it's not your degree that makes you smarter than me, what is it? Genetics? Wouldn't that negate Ben Diggle's proclamation? :study :smart :kiss
THE LEGEND! As crowned by Johnny Mac
Scientifically proven to be 1.84 X more intelligent than the "Officially recognized Smartest Poster on the Boards".
jmc wrote:you were advanced for your age.