If You Could Change ONE Thing About Playoffs..

For the civil discussion of large school football.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

If You Could Change ONE Thing About Playoffs..

Post by CIS » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 pm

If you could change one thing about the current football playoffs - what would it be? Me, a bit old school, I would go to fewer classes - SIX only or FIVE public and TWO private but I would be happiest with SIX and public/private being together....

crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: If You Could Change ONE Thing About Playoffs..

Post by crkamm » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Home team.

Forget tbe whole who has hosted fewer games B.S. To the victor goes the spoils, the better seed should always get the home game.
THE LEGEND! As crowned by Johnny Mac
Scientifically proven to be 1.84 X more intelligent than the "Officially recognized Smartest Poster on the Boards".
jmc wrote:you were advanced for your age.

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:08 pm

Well, hope this dont generate a long debate again, but here goes:
Public Schools and Catholic schools should have their own Playoffs. (And I went 8 yrs grade school and 2 yrs high school to Catholic schools).

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 pm

crkamm wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm
Home team.

Forget tbe whole who has hosted fewer games B.S. To the victor goes the spoils, the better seed should always get the home game.
You might have a point -

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:46 pm

As a fan of a team that has lost 5 state championship games to private schools, I bet you can't guess what one thing I'd change is????? :dustin

I don't know what the answer is, I just know that schools like Aurora Christian have no business being in 1A, Sterling Newman & Decatur St Teresa have no business being in 2A, Elmhurts IC Catholic & Kankakee McNamara have no business being in 4A, Montini, Rockford Boylan & JCA have no business being in 5A, so on and so on and so on .......

That being said, I'd most likely be in favor of 5-6 public classifications and 2 private.

FYI, IMHO, it's not just Football where the playing field needs to be leveled.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:54 pm

I wonder if the private schools would actually enjoy a private school playoffs - two divisions, large and small. That would make some interesting football I think and there would be a sort of yearly get together with group comradery. There might even be some real intense rivalries. The playoffs might be a little shorter with fewer teams or they could expand, especially the large division and add some extra private schools that now miss the IHSA playoffs...

UT Vols
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by UT Vols » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Here in Tennessee it has long been an 8 class system. 6 public and 2 private...one small and one large. It seems to work well and has made for some really good championship games.

I believe New Jersey does the same, but with more classes.

It would definitely work in Illinois, and should be installed.
It's Football Time In Tennessee!!

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Start with a clean slate and start keeping track of home and road games. Then the following year award first round home games to the team that has hosted the lowest percentage of games THEN go by the way they do now with the team that has hosted the fewest times during the current playoff hosting subsequent games. IMO it is crazy that East Peoria has only hosted one playoff game in their history...at old Stamper Stadium (where CIS once had a 99 yard TD in a hurricane that turned to a blizzard when he reached the 25). East Side has never hosted one. Why not let them host, get their loss, then let the team seeded higher have the home field advantage later on where it really might matter?
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:58 pm

crkamm wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm
Home team.

I disagree for two reasons:

1. Records are meaningless. Why award home field to a team who plays in a crap conference and punish teams who play tough schedules?

2. Part of what I love about the playoffs is a team almost always has to win a road game or two to advance to state. No other sport allows teams to stay at home throughout the playoffs so why should football?
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

USD24
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by USD24 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:52 am

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:46 pm
As a fan of a team that has lost 5 state championship games to private schools, I bet you can't guess what one thing I'd change is????? :dustin

I don't know what the answer is, I just know that schools like Aurora Christian have no business being in 1A, Sterling Newman & Decatur St Teresa have no business being in 2A, Elmhurts IC Catholic & Kankakee McNamara have no business being in 4A, Montini, Rockford Boylan & JCA have no business being in 5A, so on and so on and so on .......

That being said, I'd most likely be in favor of 5-6 public classifications and 2 private.

Why does JCA have no business being in 5A? They have 630 kids in the school. They have not dominated the division, they have not even made the playofs the previous two years. The Hilltoppers have not won a state championship in over 10 years. The IHSA has implemented the multiplier and the success factor so that private schools like the ones you mention do not dominate a class.

With that being said, I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for the Metamora program. Good luck to the Redbirds on Saturday. I anticipate a great game. Looking forward to my first trip to Metamora for a football game.

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 am

USD24 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:52 am
Looking forward to my first trip to Metamora for a football game.
Fingers crossed for no rain!!!!! ..... although I do live two blocks from the high school and am bewildered as to why the sprinklers have been running non-stop on the field since Saturday night. ;)
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ging » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:21 am

let the coaches seed the teams in their bracket. the ihsa can tweak the outcome if necessary. higher seeded team hosts, period.

also, neutral site playoff games for semis, preferably on turf.
VCSOMB

pjs moderator
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by pjs moderator » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:21 am

Please keep discussions civil.

The Truth Be Told
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by The Truth Be Told » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:29 am

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 am
USD24 wrote:
Fingers crossed for no rain!!!!! ..... although I do live two blocks from the high school and am bewildered as to why the sprinklers have been running non-stop on the field since Saturday night. ;)
.Lightning strike.... Sprinkler malfunction.... I've forgotten the other scenarios. ;)

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:04 am

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:46 pm

Outside 1 player, St T is very much a 2A team. To suggest they draw a great number of kids that would play on either MacArthur or Eisenhower's teams is to not know much about their kids.

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:06 am

ging wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:21 am
let the coaches seed the teams in their bracket. the ihsa can tweak the outcome if necessary. higher seeded team hosts, period.

Having been in seeding meetings, or All Conference meetings for football and other sports, I can't imagine how much of a disaster this would be.

ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ging » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Bobby Thigpen wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:06 am
ging wrote:

Having been in seeding meetings, or All Conference meetings for football and other sports, I can't imagine how much of a disaster this would be.
i understand your point. but there's no need for an actual meeting. other ihsa sports seed brackets via the internet with no actual face to face meetings. ihsa oversees this process. there's a system in place for seeding this way. i would like to see football use it.
VCSOMB

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:17 pm

ging wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:13 pm
Bobby Thigpen wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:06 am
ging wrote:

i understand your point. but there's no need for an actual meeting. other ihsa sports seed brackets via the internet with no actual face to face meetings. ihsa oversees this process. there's a system in place for seeding this way. i would like to see football use it.
I think one big difference is that in seeding a regional, or even sectional, you've seen most of those teams. In a lot of years, you won't have even seen 1 of the other 8 teams in your area or quad.

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:52 pm

ging wrote:

Your second point re neutral site makes a lot of sense.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:37 pm

I know of several states where games are held at neutral sites...for instance if Washington was playing Metamora they could play at Peoria stadium :td

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm

CIS wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:37 pm
I know of several states where games are held at neutral sites...for instance if Washington was playing Metamora they could play at Peoria stadium :td
10 years from now, this post will still be as funny as it is today. :D

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:04 pm

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:29 am
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 am
USD24 wrote:
.Lightning strike.... Sprinkler malfunction.... I've forgotten the other scenarios. ;)
Both an act of God which is really quite coincidental as both teams will need an Ark to play on that field come Saturday night. :angel

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Ok, in all seriousness, I have the power to change one thing, what would I change??? Although 2 things, both have to do with one thing, admission.

1) I'd love to see a "family" price.

2)Students, with an ID, would NOT pay to watch their teams play in post season.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:25 pm

Well your ideas would be one way to fill the stands! Being a Pekin fan, I haven't been to very many playoff games :) Overall, are the playoff games well attended?

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:01 am

Set the matchups after each round so the highest remaining seed always plays the lowest remaining seed, etc. It has never made sense in any bracketed playoff that a 1 plays an 8/9 in round 2 when you can have a 14 vs. 11 or 15 vs. 10 at the bottom of the bracket.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32