If You Could Change ONE Thing About Playoffs..

For the civil discussion of large school football.
TheRoller
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: If You Could Change ONE Thing About Playoffs..

Post by TheRoller » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:03 pm

If I could change one thing I would implement the “sliding multiplier” authored by Birdwatcher year’s ago. In a nutshell it took population density into consideration when determining the football enrollment for non-boundary schools. Schools in large population centers would be multiplied by a larger number than those in more rural areas.

Makes a lot of sense.
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.

ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ging » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:36 am

TheRoller wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:03 pm
If I could change one thing I would implement the “sliding multiplier” authored by Birdwatcher year’s ago. In a nutshell it took population density into consideration when determining the football enrollment for non-boundary schools. Schools in large population centers would be multiplied by a larger number than those in more rural areas.

Makes a lot of sense.
totally agree.
VCSOMB

USD24
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by USD24 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:49 am

TheRoller wrote:

Makes a lot of sense.
I don't agree. Schools in large population centers are also competing with many more schools for students. Joliet Catholic is situated in a fairly densely populated area, however they have had a declining enrollment for the last 20 years. Not only are they competing with very good public schools, with great facilities and no tuition, they are also competing with the numerous private schools for the same students. Kids living within the Joliet city limits attend Joliet West, Joliet Central, Plainfield South, Plainfield Central, Minooka, Bolingbrook, Oswego, Oswego East, Lincoln Way West, Lockport, Providence, Nazareth, Benet, Montini, Mt Carmel, Brother RIce, St Rita, among others.

That's a lot of schools to compete with for students

TheRoller

Post by TheRoller » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:28 pm

USD24 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:49 am
TheRoller wrote:

Makes a lot of sense.
I don't agree. Schools in large population centers are also competing with many more schools for students. Joliet Catholic is situated in a fairly densely populated area, however they have had a declining enrollment for the last 20 years. Not only are they competing with very good public schools, with great facilities and no tuition, they are also competing with the numerous private schools for the same students. Kids living within the Joliet city limits attend Joliet West, Joliet Central, Plainfield South, Plainfield Central, Minooka, Bolingbrook, Oswego, Oswego East, Lincoln Way West, Lockport, Providence, Nazareth, Benet, Montini, Mt Carmel, Brother RIce, St Rita, among others.

That's a lot of schools to compete with for students
Fair enough but if we agree non-boundary schools should be multiplied it seems to make sense that one in the Chicago area, with access to a population of several million has a much larger advantage than one in the rural southern part of the state.
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:07 am

USD24 wrote:
Kids living within the Joliet city limits attend Joliet West, Joliet Central, Plainfield South, Plainfield Central, Minooka, Bolingbrook, Oswego, Oswego East, Lincoln Way West, Lockport, Providence, Nazareth, Benet, Montini, Mt Carmel, Brother RIce, St Rita, among others.
Great googily moogily!!! :shock:

Of course, with a population of nearly 150,000(Joliet), combined with an ability to draw from a 30 mile radius around Joliet, that is a lot of kids to pick-n-choose from. Population of the communities that Metamora draws from is Germantown Hills(4200 ish) Metamora(2500 ish) & Springbay/Bayview(800 ish).
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

jmc
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by jmc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:07 am

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:07 am
USD24 wrote:
Kids living within the Joliet city limits attend Joliet West, Joliet Central, Plainfield South, Plainfield Central, Minooka, Bolingbrook, Oswego, Oswego East, Lincoln Way West, Lockport, Providence, Nazareth, Benet, Montini, Mt Carmel, Brother RIce, St Rita, among others.

Of course, with a population of nearly 150,000(Joliet), combined with an ability to draw from a 30 mile radius around Joliet, that is a lot of kids to pick-n-choose from. Population of the communities that Metamora draws from is Germantown Hills(4200 ish) Metamora(2500 ish) & Springbay/Bayview(800 ish).
I think you missed a few communities! Washington 17,000ish, Morton 17,000ish, Dunlap 15,000?ish, Olympia I would think around 9,000ish, Canton around 9,000ish, Eureka 5,000ish and that is just a small sampling. ;)

I don't really care much about the multiplier as it is used currently, but the success factor is another story. Rochester has won 7 of the last 8 4A football titles. They just grow them bigger and faster there? Where is the success factor there? :roll:

I also find it somewhat perplexing and ironic that some of the posters who support the two local programs that have benefitted the most from transfers over the years are the two that complain the most about the private schools. :twisted:

Full disclosure, yes I do teach at a private high school. I did grow up in the one community and live in the other and I have/had friends and relatives at both schools. If anyone would like to discuss this in more detail, there is a nice coffee shop in town.

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:55 am

1)Students having to pay to watch their classmates play. Show ID, get in game free.

2)No CPL teams in the playoffs.

3)Make it mandatory for teams to be on the field for the National Anthem. The fact that ALL aren't and I even hafta mention it is sad!!!
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

blownfuse

Post by blownfuse » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:21 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:55 am
1)Students having to pay to watch their classmates play. Show ID, get in game free.

2)No CPL teams in the playoffs.

3)Make it mandatory for teams to be on the field for the National Anthem. The fact that ALL aren't and I even hafta mention it is sad!!!

I completely agree with #3! I witnessed that last night as well. Maybe if the birds would put a little less focus on the pregame shenanigans they could have found time to be on the field for the anthem. I dont come to watch a history lesson on the program and coach ryan.

The success factor should be applied to ALL schools. Shouldnt be that big of a deal considering how rare it is for a public to win 2 championships in a row unless they are from rochester.
2017 large school pick-ems grand champion

peoria2chicago
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by peoria2chicago » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:53 am

jmc wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:07 am
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:07 am
USD24 wrote:

I think you missed a few communities! Washington 17,000ish, Morton 17,000ish, Dunlap 15,000?ish, Olympia I would think around 9,000ish, Canton around 9,000ish, Eureka 5,000ish and that is just a small sampling. ;)

I don't really care much about the multiplier as it is used currently, but the success factor is another story. Rochester has won 7 of the last 8 4A football titles. They just grow them bigger and faster there? Where is the success factor there? :roll:

I also find it somewhat perplexing and ironic that some of the posters who support the two local programs that have benefitted the most from transfers over the years are the two that complain the most about the private schools. :twisted:

Full disclosure, yes I do teach at a private high school. I did grow up in the one community and live in the other and I have/had friends and relatives at both schools. If anyone would like to discuss this in more detail, there is a nice coffee shop in town.
Woah, woah, woah, the sign in Canton says 14,000... there's just a large aging/dying population :roll: Oh, and don't forget the DOC prison. :lol:
"Yeah but we're the coolest **** oxymoron you'll ever see. It's a great day to be a Little Giant!"