IHSA Districts Passes

For the civil discussion of large school football.
JD
All Universe
All Universe

IHSA Districts Passes

Post by JD » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:55 am

“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: IHSA Districts Passes

Post by MidstateFan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Districts just barely passed 324-307 (with 69 abstaining) Takes effect in 2021, so two more years of the current setup. We'll see how it affects existing conferences in other sports.

BIRDGRAD87
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by BIRDGRAD87 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:00 pm

The big push for this was conference shuffling. IMHO this is the mother of all conference shuffling just with big brother running it. As we see from history whenever you give control to big brother it works wonderfully :gagl
Get ready for the law of unintended consequences
Playoffs 1975-81,84,88,90,94-2012,14,15,16,18
Quarterfinals 1975-77,79,80,95-02,04,06-10,16
Semifinal 1975,76,77,95,96,97,99,2000,01,06,07,08,09,10
State Final 1975,76,77,96,97,99,2000,07,08,09
State Champion 1975,2007,2009

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:16 pm

I would imagine the Chicago Catholic schools are furious as now they get thrown in with same class CPL teams. Other Catholic schools like JCA who play up in class during the season now get thrown in with same class opponents. This also hurts a school like Rochester who generally faces tougher competition in conference than the CS-8.

Perhaps we can start resisting the IHSA by claiming they are not our high school athletic association.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:16 pm

This totally su x
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 pm

I would be more concerned about the 69 schools that abstained. Passing by such a slim margin with these ramifications will probably be challenged in court IMO. I would also like to see the list of schools who did not vote.
go cubs go!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Steve Soucie, whose the high school football guy in Kankakee, posted the district projections when the idea first got floated last year. He said he'll post an updated one after this news and will apparently post it by probably this weekend. I'll get his updated projections on here once he posts them.

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:48 pm

deejay wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 pm
I would be more concerned about the 69 schools that abstained. Passing by such a slim margin with these ramifications will probably be challenged in court IMO. I would also like to see the list of schools who did not vote.
Or, I would like to know why schools that don’t play football cast a vote. I don’t see this being over.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

SouthofWoodford1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)
Location: South of Woodford, friends say its "Panther" country.

Post by SouthofWoodford1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:24 am

How does everyone feel about the first two games don’t count for squat?? Why even schedule them? Chance for kids to get hurt decreasing there chance to make the playoffs. Is there any ramifications for not scheduling/playing these games?
Busch Stadium, Gods Country!!

SouthofWoodford1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by SouthofWoodford1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:56 am

How in the heck would schools vote on districts without knowing what those districts look like? Will the multiplyer still be in affect for private schools??Voting without fully understanding the consequences seems to be a FOOLISH way of doing things! But then again, we are talking about the fools running the IHSA!!

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:31 am

SouthofWoodford1 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:56 am
How in the heck would schools vote on districts without knowing what those districts look like? Will the multiplyer still be in affect for private schools??Voting without fully understanding the consequences seems to be a FOOLISH way of doing things! But then again, we are talking about the fools running the IHSA!!
It is the same logic of congress needing to pass a bill to find out what is in it.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:44 am

The biggest fools are the member schools that voted for it. AND why would schools that don’t have 11 man football have a vote?

Will this be the death of conferences since everyone gets the postseason participation ribbon in every other sport? No need for conferences anymore.

SouthofWoodford1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by SouthofWoodford1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:19 am

I just don’t know if the district format will be better, or worse. All I know is that I really enjoyed the Mid-Illini conference. The fans travel well. And the thought of losing the rivalries is disheartening. I can not see playing Metamora in a game that doesn’t have conference and playoff consequences. This just SU X!!

peoria2chicago
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by peoria2chicago » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:15 am

Wow... I can't wait for the intense atmosphere and riveting rivalry of Canton and...Kankakee Bishop McNamara? Or bitter enemies, Manual and...Quincy Notre Dame? :roll:

Bologna. I wan't Mid-Illini football action, not this gas guzzling "district garbage". :gagr
"Yeah but we're the coolest **** oxymoron you'll ever see. It's a great day to be a Little Giant!"

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:30 am

Cristobal wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:48 pm
deejay wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 pm
Or, I would like to know why schools that don’t play football cast a vote. I don’t see this being over.
Because their sports are constantly jerked around by the football schools with their conference changing every 2-3 years so someone can get a playoff hoodie.

BIRDGRAD87
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by BIRDGRAD87 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm

I personally don't like it.
Some new rivalries will come from this and some old will fade. We will only have fond memories of that fateful night at Stamper that produced such an electrifying run through the snow. In 10 years if there is still High School football in Illinois kids will not believe that Pekin use to play EP.
It will be days of old with the old timers telling stories of the Metamora- Warshington games, how much they meant to the season, the attendance and 50/50 payouts. The good old days and btw Get Of My Lawn!!!!!
Playoffs 1975-81,84,88,90,94-2012,14,15,16,18
Quarterfinals 1975-77,79,80,95-02,04,06-10,16
Semifinal 1975,76,77,95,96,97,99,2000,01,06,07,08,09,10
State Final 1975,76,77,96,97,99,2000,07,08,09
State Champion 1975,2007,2009

94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by 94 Knight » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:24 pm

I'll go back to the comment I made when I first heard about this-"Of all the issues facing school districts in IL, is this really a concern? Is the Conference system really broke?" I also don't like it and don't find it necessary. I would assume schools will schedule their non district games with teams from their former conference. Example Washington scheduling Metamora and Morton. I guess we get two more years of conference play......

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm

94 Knight wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:24 pm
I I would assume schools will schedule their non district games with teams from their former conference. Example Washington scheduling Metamora and Morton. I guess we get two more years of conference play......
Those games would mean nothing as far as getting to the playoffs. Would coaches be willing to potentially having a starting player get hurt in a game like that? At best some would use it like an NFL early preseason game and play starters for the 1st qtr maybe the first half.

As I’ve said a couple times on other threads, this is about conference hopping every couple years like IVC has been doing. Just make a rule when you join a conference you have to stay in it for 10 years.

TheRoller
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by TheRoller » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:17 pm

O&B 78 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm
94 Knight wrote:
I I would assume schools will schedule their non district games with teams from their former conference. Example Washington scheduling Metamora and Morton. I guess we get two more years of conference play......
Those games would mean nothing as far as getting to the playoffs. Would coaches be willing to potentially having a starting player get hurt in a game like that? At best some would use it like an NFL early preseason game and play starters for the 1st qtr maybe the first half.

As I’ve said a couple times on other threads, this is about conference hopping every couple years like IVC has been doing. Just make a rule when you join a conference you have to stay in it for 10 years.
I like your idea but does the IHSA even have the authority to make such a rule? I believe the coming and going of schools in and out of conferences is dictated by the individual conferences and their own bylaws.

I agree with Knight, football scheduling simply cannot be the major issue facing our school districts
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:46 pm

TheRoller wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:17 pm
O&B 78 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm
94 Knight wrote:

I like your idea but does the IHSA even have the authority to make such a rule? I believe the coming and going of schools in and out of conferences is dictated by the individual conferences and their own bylaws.

I agree with Knight, football scheduling simply cannot be the major issue facing our school districts
It’s the IHSA, they can make any stupid rule they want.

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Metamora Football was already struggling mightily as of late with atmosphere and fan participation. If the district model I've seen for them holds true, Malone Field game day will be a ghost town. Urbana, Rantoul, Lincoln ...... :gagr

FYI, that's an Urbana program that when I went to Peoria Stadium to watch them play Manual, 5 minutes before kickoff, I was the ONLY person sitting on the visitors side of the field. Shortly after kickoff, I was one of a dozen fans.

Poor Pekin, they're a big time victim of this. They might wanna start the fund raisers now for a couple charter buses for their 3 hour bus rides. :shock:

As we've already seen with Basketball playoffs in this state, if anyone can $crew up something that was perfectly fine already, it's the IHSA. As some have eluded, I hope A LOT of schools sue, boycott, threaten to forfeit their season, etc.

Ummm, I thought the IHSA dreamed up quads in Football to reduce fuel costs, travel time, etc. The Metamora's and Pekin's of Illinois are scratching their heads for sure in regards to their district.

If schools that don't have Football got a vote that's pure f'n hor$e$hit. That's as bad as people who rent getting to vote on a school referendum that could possibly raise property taxes.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:42 pm

peoria2chicago wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:15 am
Wow... I can't wait for the intense atmosphere and riveting rivalry of Canton and...Kankakee Bishop McNamara? Or bitter enemies, Manual and...Quincy Notre Dame? :roll:
Actually Canton, Bishop Mac, and Manual would all be in the same district along with IVC, Prairie Central, Herscher, Normal U-High, and Pontiac.

QND would be in a district (talk about long distances) with Clinton, Havana/Midwest Central, Hoopeston, Macomb, Paris, Stanford Olympia, and Tolono Unity.

Just What I Think
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Just What I Think » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:22 am

I love what it does to 5A and 6A locally. Could create some new and very entertaining scenarios. Gives Canton and manual a chance although I think manual will still struggle.

But, O Lord, Pekin is in an ugly spot. Could get really unbearable.

Hope Peoria, Washington, Dunlap and Rock Island becomes a regular event.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:25 am

I get being upset but this was put to a vote. It was not mandated by IHSA.

Schools voted for this.

Edited: forgot the not.

Point was people had a choice.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ging » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 am

JD wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:25 am
I get being upset but this was put to a vote. It was mandated by IHSA.

Schools voted for this.
agreed. many people are missing that part of this whole thing.
VCSOMB