IHSA Districts Passes

For the civil discussion of large school football.
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Re: IHSA Districts Passes

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:31 am

It is interesting that this passed. Without knowing the vote breakdown, my assumption is that schools in suburban and city areas where the districts don't impact their travel or normal match ups much probably voted in favor. Schools like Pekin, Washington, Metamora, etc. that are in stable conferences with established match ups and where the districts add massive travel, likely voted against it.

For non-suburban schools, this really isn't a good deal from a travel perspective and could see the end of conferences across all sports. Does anyone really think that conferences will survive in basketball, wrestling, baseball, track, etc. now that football has gone to districts?
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

oftenrunning52
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:07 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:31 am
It is interesting that this passed. Without knowing the vote breakdown, my assumption is that schools in suburban and city areas where the districts don't impact their travel or normal match ups much probably voted in favor. Schools like Pekin, Washington, Metamora, etc. that are in stable conferences with established match ups and where the districts add massive travel, likely voted against it.

For non-suburban schools, this really isn't a good deal from a travel perspective and could see the end of conferences across all sports. Does anyone really think that conferences will survive in basketball, wrestling, baseball, track, etc. now that football has gone to districts?
I realize the importance of football to the culture of a conference, but it is not the reason a conference stays together. I don't see the Mid-Illini disappearing simply because football goes to districts. You have a competitive conference in most sports which allows for simple scheduling and continued rivalries. The Big 12 might be another story.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2018 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:15 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:31 am

The Mid Illini is the only stable conference in Illinois between Rochelle, Quincy, Vandalia and Paris.

Virtually every other conference in that region has had HUGE shakeups or no longer exist because of the mythical quest for 5.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:44 pm

My point is football is now districts, the next proposals will be for all the other sports to use district standings to replace conferences, regionals, sectionals, etc. and why not? The rivalries of biggest interest were football and in many instances districts will kill them..You can have meets, or tournaments at the district level to determine who makes it to the state championship series. Sure basketball, baseball, etc. have more flexibility for out of district matchup based on the number of games they can play. It is naive to think this stops at football.

oftenrunning52

Post by oftenrunning52 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:44 pm
My point is football is now districts, the next proposals will be for all the other sports to use district standings to replace conferences, regionals, sectionals, etc. and why not? The rivalries of biggest interest were football and in many instances districts will kill them..You can have meets, or tournaments at the district level to determine who makes it to the state championship series. Sure basketball, baseball, etc. have more flexibility for out of district matchup based on the number of games they can play. It is naive to think this stops at football.
I was thinking about what you mentioned. Districts might make sense for basketball or baseball/softball, but given that everyone makes the playoffs in every sport except football, it doesn't make a lot of sense. In some ways, "districts" exist already in that the playoffs in every other sport is done geographically. I construct my cross country schedule to some degree on who and where my regional/sectional meets will be. I could see some football districts being the basis for a conference for other sports in areas of the state where conference stability has been an issue, but again I don't think that will happen to the Mid-Illini.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about all of this! :lol:
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2018 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:56 pm

All sports need to follow the football districts to help football replace their rivalries... :td

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:48 pm

.This is still three years out and enrollments will change which will in turn cause class changes for some schools. Having said that I did come across an individual that did all the schools in Illinois. He put them in their respective class using the new IHSA two year enrollment cycle and did the geography on them as it applies to districts if district play started in 2019. Just a glimpse of what might be coming. For you Redbird fans that were unhappy about Soucie's projected districts he did in May maybe you will like this one better. Enjoy....

5A ….
LaSalle-Peru
Streator
Geneseo
Morris
Kankakee Sr.
Park Forest (Rich East)
Richton Park (Rich South)
Joliet Catholic Academy
Metamora

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 am

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:48 pm
.This is still three years out and enrollments will change which will in turn cause class changes for some schools. Having said that I did come across an individual that did all the schools in Illinois. He put them in their respective class using the new IHSA two year enrollment cycle and did the geography on them as it applies to districts if district play started in 2019. Just a glimpse of what might be coming. For you Redbird fans that were unhappy about Soucie's projected districts he did in May maybe you will like this one better. Enjoy....

5A ….
LaSalle-Peru
Streator
Geneseo
Morris
Kankakee Sr.
Park Forest (Rich East)
Richton Park (Rich South)
Joliet Catholic Academy
Metamora
Seems unlikely that they would take Metamora as a 9th team in this imaginary district considering that they are 45 minutes south of the closest school with three other 5A schools that are within a 20 minute drive.

But I like imaginary districts and look forward to seeing more.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 am

.Ask and you shall receive. Here are three more.

Charleston
Mattoon
Urbana
Mahomet-seymour
Lincoln
Morton
Bartonville (Limestone)
East Peoria
Peoria (Notre Dame)

Sacred Heart-Griffin
Rochester (at 770 smallest school in 5A)
Southeast
Lanphier
Decatur (MacArthur)
Decatur (Eisenhower)
Jacksonville
Mt. Zion
Jerseyville

Marion
Carbondale
Mt. Vernon
Centralia
Mascoutah
Waterloo
Highland
Troy (Triad)
Cahokia

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:52 am

Interest in high school football has been declining for several years, and going to districts may or may not change that one-way or the other. My interest has declined along with a lot of other fans. I will most likely still attend some local games if a good match-up. Almost every school in my area falls between 4a-6a. I used to love H.S. football and esp the playoffs, but a variety of issues have me personally following other interests. Just my two cents worth.

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:19 pm

.One 5A district from Soucie's latest revision out today.

D5

Bartonville (Limestone)
East Peoria
Geneseo
Mahomet-Seymour
Metamora
Morton
Peoria (Notre Dame)
Urbana

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Districts will make attendance plummet based on:
A) Loss of rivalries
B) 2+ hour, one-way travel times
C) Competition from college football and other high school sports when many games are pushed to Saturdays due to the long travel times
D) Inability to establish rivalries as districts will shift almost as often as conferences based on enrollment changes, etc.

All this really does is take the decision to move conferences out of the school's hands and give all the power to the IHSA bureaucracy.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:53 pm

Here's a link to Soucie's updated projections for the districts: https://www.theherald-news.com/lists/20 ... /index.xml

Here's how he now has the schools in central Illinois now being affected:

7A
District 8: Alton, Belleville West, Collinsville, East St. Louis, Granite City, Normal Community, Pekin, Quincy.

6A
District 7: Dunlap, East Moline United, Galesburg, Normal West, Peoria Central, Richwoods, Rock Island, Washington.

District 8: Bloomington, Champaign Centennial, Champaign Central, Chatham Glenwood, Danville, Springfield High, Lanphier, Springfield Southeast. (He mentioned that Lanphier and Southeast were among the 5 smallest schools in the classification. He also mentions that while it doesn’t look right to separate Bloomington and Normal West, the eighth school had to come from somewhere to round out the District 8 grouping.)

5A
District 6: Limestone, East Peoria, Geneseo, Mahomet-Seymour, Metamora, Morton, Peoria Notre Dame, Urbana. (He mentioned Peoria Notre Dame as one of the 5 smallest schools in the classification. He also mentioned that Geneseo was tricky. And while he states that it was a stretch to put them in District 6, they were closer on the whole to the majority of the teams in that district, despite the fact that it is farther north than Streator, which was placed in District 5.)

District 7: Charleston, Decatur Eisenhower, Decatur MacArthur, Jacksonville, Jerseyville Jersey, Lincoln, Mattoon, SHG.

4A
District 5: Canton, IVC, Havana, Kewanee, Macomb, Peoria Manual, Rochester, Stanford Olympia.

District 6: Clinton, Fairbury Prairie Central, Hoopeston, Mt. Zion, Normal U-High, Paris, Rantoul, Tolono Unity.

District 7: Bethalto Civic Memorial, Breese Central, Columbia, Effingham, Freeburg, Roxana, Taylorville, East Alton-Wood River. (He mentioned Rochester, Mt. Zion, and Taylorville as 3 of the 5 largest schools in the classification. He also says that Rochester is a bit of a wild card not only because they were so close to being in the Class 5A grouping, they could easily be placed in District 5, District 6 or District 7 depending on how the lines are drawn.)

3A
District 4: Beardstown, Elmwood, Eureka, Farmington, Monmouth, Oneida ROWVA, Peoria Heights, PORTA. (He mentions Monmouth as one of the 5 largest schools in the classification)

District 5: Carlinville, New Berlin, Pleasant Plains, Pittsfield, QND, Riverton, Virden North Mac, Williamsville. (He mentions that QND is the trickiest team to place because they are a geographic outlier in pretty much any district they could be placed in.)

District 6: Marshall, Monticello, Newton, Pana, Paxton-Buckley-Loda, Robinson, St. Joseph-Ogden, Sullivan. (He mentions Pana and QND as among two of the 5 smallest schools in the classification.)

2A
District 3: Bloomington Central Catholic, Clifton Central, Tri-Valley, El Paso-Gridley, Gibson City-Melvin Sibley, Fieldcrest, Momence, Watseka.

District 4: Mercer County, Illini West, West Hancock, Knoxville, Dee-Mack, West Prairie, Rockridge, Tremont. (He mentions Tremont as among one of the 5 smallest schools in the classification.)

District 5: Auburn, Decatur St. Teresa, Jacksonville Routt, Maroa-Forsyth, Mendon Unity, Niantic Sangamon Valley, Pawnee, Rushville-Industry. (He mentions Auburn and Decatur St. Teresa as among two of the 5 largest schools in the classification. He also states that while he lines are relatively clear, the area around Decatur will likely require a razor thin split in order to decide which teams go in District 5 and which ones go in District 6.)

District 7: Belleville Althoff, Carlyle, Flora, Gillespie, Lawrenceville, Oblong, Shelbyville, Trenton Wesclin.

1A
District 3: Cambridge, Fulton, Wethersfield, Milledgeville, Morrison, St. Bede, Princeville, Stark County.

District 4: Abingdon, South Fulton, Biggsville West Central, Camp Point Central, Concord Triopia, Lewistown, Monmouth United, Mt. Sterling Brown County.

District 5: Catlin Salt Fork, Champaign St. Thomas More, Ridgeview, Blue Ridge, Fisher, Gilman Iroquois West, Heyworth, LeRoy.

District 6: Athens, Greenfield, Kincaid South Fork, Macon Meridian, Moweaqua Central A&M, Nokomis, Warrensburg-Latham, Winchester West Central. (He mentions Athens, Ridgeview, Warrensburg-Latham as 4 of the 5 largest schools in the classification).

District 7: Albion Edwards County, Arcola, Argenta-Oreana, Bridgeport Red Hill, Casey-Westfield, Cerro Gordo-Bement, Martinsville, Oakland Tri-County, Toledo Cumberland.

District 8: Bunker Hill, Carrollton, Dupo, Edwardsville Metro East-Lutheran), Hardin Calhoun, Madison, Pleasant Hill, White Hall North Greene. (He mentions that 1A can normally be the most difficult class to map because the schools are often concentrated in groups of larger than eight in pockets around the state. As a result this can make districts of exactly eight teams nearly an impossible task to project, especially in the western part of the state.)

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:26 am

Good luck to district 5 in 4A
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:56 am

O&B 78 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:26 am
Good luck to district 5 in 4A
Exactly. Many schools will still get their teeth kicked in, but now get to drive 2x as far to do it against many teams people either haven't heard of or don't care about. Also fun splitting schools like Normal West and Bloomington which get to travel in opposite directions for many games.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:56 am

Hopefully schools will see what a joke this is and reinstate conferences. The extra expenses to schools like Pekin is nuts

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:15 am

.The Flyer fans I have spoke with are saying that the school is still being told that they will not be allowed to petition up anymore. Their new two year enrollment cycle number is 1262 which for 2018 would of put them as the second largest team among the 32 class 5A postseason qualifiers.

Looking at the new combined enrollment on the IHSA web site of all the schools and forming an opinion based on teams that historically make the playoffs (and it's strictly a guess) should the directive by their conference hold ESL will be in Class 6A for the next two seasons. And when 2021 rolls around if their enrollments remains relatively steady it will be the same. Always wanted to attend one of their games. Might get my wish....

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 pm

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:15 am
.The Flyer fans I have spoke with are saying that the school is still being told that they will not be allowed to petition up anymore. Their new two year enrollment cycle number is 1262 which for 2018 would of put them as the second largest team among the 32 class 5A postseason qualifiers.

Looking at the new combined enrollment on the IHSA web site of all the schools and forming an opinion based on teams that historically make the playoffs (and it's strictly a guess) should the directive by their conference hold ESL will be in Class 6A for the next two seasons. And when 2021 rolls around if their enrollments remains relatively steady it will be the same. Always wanted to attend one of their games. Might get my wish....
So can we assume that Phillips cannot play up either? I have never understood why ESL has petitioned to play up considering they are not even close to being the dominant program they were under Bob Shannon.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:59 am

.The ESL decision was made by those that run the Southwestern Conference that the Flyers are in. Teams are still allowed to petition up. So I imagine Phillips will continue to do so.

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:59 am

.The ESL decision was made by those that run the Southwestern Conference that the Flyers are in. Teams are still allowed to petition up. So I imagine Phillips will continue to do so.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:18 am

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:59 am
And why would a conference that will no longer exist for football have any control or voice in what ESL wants to do? Or why it would matter to them anyway?

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:29 am

.You misunderstand. I'm not talking 2021. ESL for the next TWO years will have to follow their conference new directive. So the Flyers for 2019 and 2020 will be a 5A playoff team or more likely 6A.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:21 pm

The Truth Be Told wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:29 am
.You misunderstand. I'm not talking 2021. ESL for the next TWO years will have to follow their conference new directive. So the Flyers for 2019 and 2020 will be a 5A playoff team or more likely 6A.
Thanks but I still don’t think the conference should have any power over them on what class they want to play in during postseason the next two years

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:25 pm

.I can understand that. Especially if they end up in Class 6A. The SWC weren't stupid how they cased this decision. All of the schools in the conference will not be able to petition up in the sports they offer.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:33 am

Do the districts apply to the JV and Freshman teams? If not, why not if the districts are such a good idea? Does JV then become Sophomore again?