Moline must forfeit game to Rock Island

For the civil discussion of large school football.
muss
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Moline must forfeit game to Rock Island

Post by muss » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:55 pm

TheRoller
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: Moline must forfeit game to Rock Island

Post by TheRoller » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:00 am

Dreifurst rushed for 210 yards but no touchdowns in the Maroons' season-opening win over Alton. Against Rock Island, he rushed for 227 yards on 23 carries and collected two first-half touchdowns.

"Because Moline won the game against Alton by 22 points, I deemed that his activity in the game did not change the outcome of the game that would require a forfeiture," Anderson said. "However, in the Rock Island game, he made a big difference in the outcome, so we made that one a forfeit."
Seems we have seen this type of determination before with the Rochester situation a few years ago. First, how in the world can you say a running back that has 210 yards rushing did not "change the outcome of the game". Is points scored the standard by which this kind of thing is measured? If an ineligible player is used the penalty is forfeit, that's the rule plain and simple. This arbitrary practice of someone at the IHSA watching game film and deciding whether or not the player in question had a significant impact is bunk.

That said, I agree with the coach. Why make the kid sit more games? They held him out of a game already and accepted the forfeit to RI. What point is being made by adding an additional suspension to a kid who did nothing wrong and is clearly a victim of laziness on the part of adults (either at his HS, the IHSA or both). I always find it interesting in these cases when the kids get hammered for mistakes they had nothing to do with but the administrators who failed to follow through and make sure everything was kosher get nothing.
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.

ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ging » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:04 am

the decision to make Moline forfeit the one game and not the other sets an interesting precedent.
VCSOMB

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am

Sad for the kid who is a very talented running back and was not at fault. If I get the story, seems like AD or someone in the administration part dropped the ball. Anybody know if this is a complicated thing or just filling out a few forms and sending in paperwork?

Youngblood
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Youngblood » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Speaking of eligibility, who determines academic eligibility? I know every school around here is different with standards. I have heard at Metamora and Pekin a player can have two F’s and be eligible to play. Heard this from a teacher who works there. Heard Metamora players can have 2 from a parent of former player. What are the expectations and who determines those? I know a few schools also encourage kids to stay home on Fridays and show up about an hour before school is out so they can play also. Curious.

crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by crkamm » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 am

TheRoller wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:00 am
Dreifurst rushed for 210 yards but no touchdowns in the Maroons' season-opening win over Alton. Against Rock Island, he rushed for 227 yards on 23 carries and collected two first-half touchdowns.

"Because Moline won the game against Alton by 22 points, I deemed that his activity in the game did not change the outcome of the game that would require a forfeiture," Anderson said. "However, in the Rock Island game, he made a big difference in the outcome, so we made that one a forfeit."
Seems we have seen this type of determination before with the Rochester situation a few years ago. First, how in the world can you say a running back that has 210 yards rushing did not "change the outcome of the game". Is points scored the standard by which this kind of thing is measured? If an ineligible player is used the penalty is forfeit, that's the rule plain and simple. This arbitrary practice of someone at the IHSA watching game film and deciding whether or not the player in question had a significant impact is bunk.

That said, I agree with the coach. Why make the kid sit more games? They held him out of a game already and accepted the forfeit to RI. What point is being made by adding an additional suspension to a kid who did nothing wrong and is clearly a victim of laziness on the part of adults (either at his HS, the IHSA or both). I always find it interesting in these cases when the kids get hammered for mistakes they had nothing to do with but the administrators who failed to follow through and make sure everything was kosher get nothing.
So none of those 210 yards set the team up in a position to score? :scratch
THE LEGEND! As crowned by Johnny Mac
Scientifically proven to be 1.84 X more intelligent than the "Officially recognized Smartest Poster on the Boards".
jmc wrote:you were advanced for your age.

metfan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by metfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:22 am

Youngblood wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 pm
Speaking of eligibility, who determines academic eligibility? I know every school around here is different with standards. I have heard at Metamora and Pekin a player can have two F’s and be eligible to play. Heard this from a teacher who works there. Heard Metamora players can have 2 from a parent of former player. What are the expectations and who determines those? I know a few schools also encourage kids to stay home on Fridays and show up about an hour before school is out so they can play also. Curious.
I believe in order to be eligible, they must be passing 4 classes. So, they could be failing 2 and still be eligible. Regarding school attendance on game days, it is each schools policy that governs this. There is not an IHSA policy on being at school at all in order to play a contest that night.
"When you do what you love, and love what you do, you'll have success your whole life through!"

oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:15 pm

Youngblood wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 pm
From the IHSA by-laws:
3.021 They shall be doing passing work in at least twenty five (25) credit hours of high school work per week.
Physical Education can be used as a .50 credit class to meet the 25 credit hour requirement, even if the member school is
giving academic credit less than .50 or no credit at all. Students must be passing Physical Education in order to use the
class towards academic eligibility.
Schools that offer only five classes per day may request a waiver annually from the IHSA Board of Directors to require
the passing of at least twenty (20) credit hours of high school work per week to be eligible for participation.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions