Hoi conference

For the civil discussion of girls volleyball.
LJr27

Hoi conference

Post by LJr27 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:24 pm

I am new to the conference, and was wondering what peoples thoughts on how they would rank the teams.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Re: Hoi conference

Post by vball1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:15 am

We're new too. I'm hoping Eureka will be on top and that's what I expect after last season's play. They just missed the mark for a sectional title last year getting beat by Orion in three sets who moved on to easily take the title and later fall to BCC at state. Eureka beat Orion in the Weathersfield invitational last month only to end up falling to the host. Orion will be tough to beat if they meet again. It does look like they'll be playing very similar to last season if not better.

I expect Tri Valley will be good and Dee Mack should be up there as well but I know very little about the rest of the teams in the HOI. It seems the more girls that play club during the off-season that are on the team the greater the success. Eureka has three that play travel with Illini Elite and some that play in house there too. Dee Mack and Tri Valley have several that do the various Illini Elite programs as well. My prediction is those three teams will be at the top but like I said I know very little about the rest.
If you can't dish it out, don't take it!

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:01 pm

Eureka advances to 2-0 in the HOI by defeating Lexington on Tuesday and Leroy tonight.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Eureka downed Hayworth to advance to 3-0 in the HOI on Tuesday.

Warming up to play Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley in a few minutes.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:10 am

Eureka and Dee Mack remain undefeated in the HOI. They could play each other this weekend at the Pekin Tourney. Either way there's going to be someone that comes out with a loss to tarnish their perfect record. Eureka is 20-1 overall so they're not perfect. Dee Mack is 13-0, Pekin is 20-0 I believe and I also think Augusta-SE is undefeated as well. Pekin plays Dee Mack and Eureka plays Augusta-SE at nine a.m. Saturday morning. Eureka won the tournament last year. Hopefully they can do the same this year.

Eureka plays Dee Mack for their conference match on Tuesday night at Dee Mack.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Eureka play was very disappointing at the Pekin Tourney this year. Nowhere near what they had been playing previously. Hopefully that's out of their system and they get back to high level play again.

Pekin won, Sacred Heart Griffin second and I assume Augusta-SE third since Dee Mack has been quiet on Twitter for the last couple of hours. Eureka took fifth over Peoria Notre Dame. I could be wrong and will update if so once final results are posted.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:40 pm

HOI is loaded this year. Appears Eureka and DeeMack will go opposite directions in regional play. Sectional play will be loaded.
go cubs go!

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:14 pm

Eureka defeats Dee Mack 25-14, 25-16 tonight in Mackinaw. Eureka is the only team without a loss in the HOI conference. Overall record is 21-3 after a weekend of rough play at the Pekin Tourney. Looks like they're getting back on track but still have a little tweaking to do. This team is capable of winning state I have no doubt. They can be their own worst enemy when they don't have the chemistry going though.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:37 am

Eureka still undefeated as they take down Tremont in two sets at home. They travel to Ridgeview Thursday for a possible sweep of the HOIC. Conference tourney starts next week. You can bet Tri-Valley and Dee Mack will want to even the score. Eureka shouldn't have to risk playing both in tournament play since they're more than likely going in undefeated. Dee Mack and Tri-Valley should match up again with the winner facing the Eureka Hornets. Just my opinion though and we'll have to wait to see what the bracket looks like and then try to figure out the logic used to create it. Hopefully Eureka can continue their roll and not look like they did in Pekin a couple weeks ago. I am very proud of this team and their seldom reported accomplishments this season. The press can continue to stay away for all I care. No need to mess up a good thing.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:21 pm

Eureka goes into the HOIC tournament next week as the top seed since they've swept the conference. Tri-Valley will be number two with only one conference loss. They should both get a first round bye. If both teams are fortunate enough to make it to the championship match it should be a good one. Dee Mack should be on Tri Valley's side of the bracket with Heyworth on Eureka's side. I'm waiting to see the official bracket which should come out very soon.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Is Maxpreps for real? Maybe stat keepers need a lesson in what constitutes a kill, block, dig, etc... There's way too many losing schools with stat leaders on Maxpreps. Pad the stats all you want but if you're not winning you're losing. If your school is leading, or in the top five, in multiple stat areas you sure shouldn't be losing but yet you are so there's something amiss. Go figure. Rant off.

gosoxgo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by gosoxgo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:33 am

vball1 wrote:Is Maxpreps for real? Maybe stat keepers need a lesson in what constitutes a kill, block, dig, etc... There's way too many losing schools with stat leaders on Maxpreps. Pad the stats all you want but if you're not winning you're losing. If your school is leading, or in the top five, in multiple stat areas you sure shouldn't be losing but yet you are so there's something amiss. Go figure. Rant off.
Maxpreps is not the best spot for stats and rankings but I believe its the service recommended by the IHSA. All based on coaches inputting information accurately and completely. Also, most teams don't post stats to Maxpreps... others wait until after the season. One, they're not worried about individual stats... that usually generates parent drama. Two, no sense making it easier to scout your team.

And yes stats can be a bit tainted. I'm sure some do a really good job and yet others have players/mangers/janitors taking stats. Also note, some states play best 3 out of 5 sets instead of 2 of 3.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:23 pm

I get the parent drama being a parent myself. It's not hard to be honest though. Yes, I get some folks just don't know how to record stats. They volunteer their time for a thankless job and that is commendable. I doubt college scouts are trolling Maxpreps looking for recruits so that's just fine. What matters is where your season ends.

I'm sitting at the HOIC tournament right now. Eureka warming up to play Leroy. Leroy upset Fieldcrest in the first round of play. Eureka had a bye. I hope they come out on fire. Leroy did look pretty good beating Fieldcrest so my fingers are crossed.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:34 pm

Eureka moves on after defeating Leroy in tournament play. They'll face either Heyworth or Blue Ridge at seven thirty Thursday night. I'm not sure how the other side of the bracket played out. My guess is that Dee Mack and Tri Valley have both advanced as well. Tri Valley will get a second round bye same as Eureka and play the later match.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:35 pm

For this Thursday:

Heyworth plays Blue Ridge at 5:15. The winner of that match plays Eureka at 7:30 to determine who advances to the championship. Eureka should pull it out so long as Mr. Hyde stays away. Hopefully they left him in Pekin a few weeks back.

Dee Mack plays Flanagan Cornell at 4:15. The winner takes on Tri Valley at 6:30 to determine who will advance. Tri Valley should easily pull this off to move on.

Championship match will be Saturday at 7:00 following the third place contest at 6:00.

Tournament play is at Dee Mack high school. Volleyball fans should come out to watch.

If Tri Valley and Eureka end up vying for the championship it will be one of the best matchups in Central Illinois.

Don't get me wrong, Pekin is great as is Morton, Washington, Bloomington High, etc... but they're big schools with a higher enrollment to pull talent from. It's not very often that small schools can put teams like these two on the court. They both can hold their own against those bigger schools.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:36 pm

Tri Valley and Eureka face off for the HOIC championship Saturday evening at seven o'clock. Both teams gave a lackluster performance this evening. Hopefully that's out of their systems. Even when they're playing bad they somehow come out with a win the majority of the time. I believe both teams have only lost three matches all season.

Heyworth and Dee Mack will vye for third place prior to the championship match.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:04 pm

HOIC tournament results

1. Tri Valley
2. Eureka
3. Dee Mack
4. Heyworth
5. Blue Ridge
6. Lexington
7. Fieldcrest

Tri Valley was spot on with their passing while Eureka kept passing the ball to the middle of the net, on top of the net, fifteen feet off of the net, anywhere but to the target. That's a game changer.

Like I said earlier on, the teams with the Elite program players will most likely prevail. Tri Valley has more Elite players and even their coaches are Elite program coaches. If Eureka doesn't make adjustments then their post season will be disappointing.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:34 pm

Dee Mack and Eureka are the only HOI teams still playing. Both in the Elite Eight playing against good teams tomorrow.

On another note BCC from the Cornbelt is still playing too. Then you've got another Bloomington area team that took down Mid Illini's Pekin.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; Travel volleyball is king. If you don't have a team with a good number of girls playing in a quality club program such as Illini Elite then your post season run will be short. Eureka probably will not see the same level of success as they've seen this year in the coming years. We'll only have two girls playing club. It's sad because more girls in this area get recruited to college volleyball than they do basketball but yet basketball is so much more popular. Girls' knees are more prone to injury playing basketball too. I can only hope that young girls and their parents see the light.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:59 am

Eureka is the sole HOI team left in the final four. Both Tri Valley and Dee Mack got knocked out by SJO.

I watched the Dee Mack match and while the officiating was sub par Dee Mack just fell apart in the third set. It happens, our girls are quite familiar with that.

Tri Valley didn't heed the curse of the HOI tournament. They've become the eleventh team to win the championship and not make it to state finals. I believe that is true but will need to fact check a little further before I firmly stand by that statement. They most definitely are good enough and while watching SJO play I was trying to figure out how they beat them.

Eureka will play Chicago Latin on Friday. They don't look to be unbeatable but they also look quite capable of winning. Our girls defeated Harvest Christian in three sets at the Super Sectional who in turn beat Latin in three during regular season play. It should be a good matchup depending on which Eureka team shows up on Friday. I'm hoping the very good one that took down BCC in two at the Mt Pulaski volleyball tournament. That team is unbeatable and will win it all. I just hope they're on that court Friday at the Redbird Arena.

Go Eureka! Go Hornets!

gosoxgo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by gosoxgo » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:47 pm

vball1 wrote:Dee Mack and Eureka are the only HOI teams still playing. Both in the Elite Eight playing against good teams tomorrow.

On another note BCC from the Cornbelt is still playing too. Then you've got another Bloomington area team that took down Mid Illini's Pekin.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; Travel volleyball is king. If you don't have a team with a good number of girls playing in a quality club program such as Illini Elite then your post season run will be short. Eureka probably will not see the same level of success as they've seen this year in the coming years. We'll only have two girls playing club. It's sad because more girls in this area get recruited to college volleyball than they do basketball but yet basketball is so much more popular. Girls' knees are more prone to injury playing basketball too. I can only hope that young girls and their parents see the light.
If you talking Bloomington area then i agree with your recruiting statement but not on popularity. I think volleyball is more popular than basketball if you're comparing travel volleyball to travel basketball. Unfair to compare travel volleyball with HS basketball. If you're playing travel, you are looking to play that sport at a higher level possibly college. If you're just playing HS then you're there for the experience and comradery.

In the Peoria area basketball is still king though. Just too bad, its so hard for kids to do play multiple HS and club sports and enjoy it... and finish homework... and stay healthy... and have a social life...

While I don't have any stats on girls knee injuries, i would bet volleyball is considerable more prone to injuries than basketball. Any physical therapist want to chime in? Lots of back, knee, ankle, shoulder injuries in volleyball. If I had a dollar for every bag of ice that gets made at a weekend volleyball tournament, I'd be rich.

Good luck to Eureka and BCC this weekend.

gosoxgo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by gosoxgo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:52 pm

1 more... Go Hornets!!!!

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:19 pm

gosoxgo wrote:
vball1 wrote:Dee Mack and Eureka are the only HOI teams still playing. Both in the Elite Eight playing against good teams tomorrow.

If you talking Bloomington area then i agree with your recruiting statement but not on popularity. I think volleyball is more popular than basketball if you're comparing travel volleyball to travel basketball. Unfair to compare travel volleyball with HS basketball. If you're playing travel, you are looking to play that sport at a higher level possibly college. If you're just playing HS then you're there for the experience and comradery.

In the Peoria area basketball is still king though. Just too bad, its so hard for kids to do play multiple HS and club sports and enjoy it... and finish homework... and stay healthy... and have a social life...

While I don't have any stats on girls knee injuries, i would bet volleyball is considerable more prone to injuries than basketball. Any physical therapist want to chime in? Lots of back, knee, ankle, shoulder injuries in volleyball. If I had a dollar for every bag of ice that gets made at a weekend volleyball tournament, I'd be rich.

Good luck to Eureka and BCC this weekend.
I'll find those stats. My boss is an ATC and we have an MD whose daughter plays on our team. Both concur with my statement.

Also, I only saw a couple girls sign to play basketball this last week and quite a few sign for volleyball.

Waiting for the 2A consolation match to start. Go Eureka!

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:00 am

Eureka returns the state championship to the HOI conference. Hopefully they'll be able to do it again next year but the team will look a whole lot different. I think Tri Valley will make a good run for it for sure with Hannah Clayton returning as a senior.

It's all over the news about Courtney Heffren being the daughter of coach Tracy (Young) Heffren OH on the '85 team. I would like to point out that Hailey Flowers is the daughter of Tammy (Siverly) Flowers who was a 6'1" MH on that '85 team as well. Both Tracy and Tammy were on the All Tournament team.

We're so very proud of our girls. They said they were going to win state at the beginning of the season and they did.

gosoxgo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by gosoxgo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:37 pm

vball1 wrote:
I'll find those stats. My boss is an ATC and we have an MD whose daughter plays on our team. Both concur with my statement.

Also, I only saw a couple girls sign to play basketball this last week and quite a few sign for volleyball.

Waiting for the 2A consolation match to start. Go Eureka!
From what I found on the internet, most studies showed an injury rate higher for girls basketball than volleyball. Not much but basketball was definitely the winner. Main reason being the potential for contact in basketball that is limited in volleyball. Makes sense.

I don't recall any girls in the Peoria area signing for volleyball, yet quite a few in basketball. Probably flip-flopped in Bloomington.

vball1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by vball1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:28 pm

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colle ... 3%2016.pdf

UC Denver has been conducting this survey for many years now. The incidence for general injury for basketball is much higher than volleyball for girls. The incidence for knee injury in basketball is over double due to cutting moves typical in basketball as opposed to lateral movement in volleyball.

I must have missed the girls' basketball signings but yes, you made my point for me. There are a greater number of female athletes signing to play volleyball than there are for basketball in all of Central Illinois. Especially to D 1 schools. Yes, there are more in the Bloomington-Normal area because of Illini Elite.

I didn't mean club volleyball is king in the way of fans or viewership. I meant it as percentage of athletes participating to those going on to play post secondary.

If Peoria had a solid volleyball club then wow would that number be astronomical compared to B-N due to population density alone. Peoria is steeped in basketball tradition and that's just fine but volleyball is a better option for most female athletes.

Soccer is gaining on football in popularity so maybe volleyball will see the same trend someday.