Hoi conference

For the civil discussion of girls volleyball.
gosoxgo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: Hoi conference

Post by gosoxgo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Totally agree with this article. Seen many girls that had all the necessary skills for basketball but couldn't get past the physical nature of basketball. They naturally gravitated to volleyball with it's similar athletic requirements and explosiveness.

www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18659 ... rd-numbers

It would not surprise me if boys volleyball took off some day in this area too given how physcial boys basketball is getting at the high school level.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:55 pm

Is there anyone on the forum that could give some coverage of the HOI volleyball season. PJS covers only a limited area due to staffing issues.
go cubs go!

vball1
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by vball1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:09 pm

I can probably only give info on the Eureka match ups. This will have standings and such for the HOIC too:

http://hoiconference.org/joomla/index.p ... &Itemid=63

So far Eureka has only been tested by Wethersfield with a loss to them in two during the tournament they hosted a couple weeks ago. Eureka defeated Orion, Alleman, Prophetstown and Princeville to get to the championship.

They've beaten Olympia and Roanoke-Benson during regular season play.

They've won all matches in two.

Serve receive and passing has to improve in order to take full advantage of having Hailey Flowers in the middle and not on the outside.

The new players to varsity have some big shoes to fill.
If you can't dish it out, don't take it!

vball1
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by vball1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Eureka remains undefeated after last night's win over Dee Mack. With their win over Tri Valley last week Eureka is poised to retain the HOI conference crown two years in a row.

vball1
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by vball1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:52 pm

Eureka beat Blue Ridge in two Thursday night. Have yet to beat Tremont and Ridgeview to keep the HOIC crown. Nothing is a given. The Eureka line up still isn't quite right and I don't expect it to change. Passing isn't good enough to use Hailey Flowers in the middle. She does lead the team in kills despite not being the L1. There's a promising freshman in Alexis Charlton who I'd really like to see play the middle on varsity so Hailey can take more sets on the outside. Blocks don't win, kills do. There's work needed to be done in order to get back to state but I think it's definitely possible.

vball1
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by vball1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 am

Big night in the HOIC tonight with Tri Valley meeting Dee Mack at the Chief's gym. Eureka is traveling to Tremont as well. I can't pick a favorite between Tri Valley and Dee Mack but I'd give the Vikings a slight advantage over the Chiefs. Eureka is the favorite over Tremont but it isn't a given. Eureka will have to play well which can be a struggle at times. Passing remains an issue for the Hornets. I believe first, second and third place in the conference will be solidified after tonight's matches.

vball1
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by vball1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:05 am

Hailey Flowers leads the state in kills for 2A with 261 and a kill percentage of 41.8%. The closest middle hitter to her numbers is Sami Moore from Hillsboro. That's impressive considering she's typically hitting from several positions and often in transition. What's not so impressive is that she's only got 35 blocks and is ranked 54th for 2A. You think I'm right when I say she's in the wrong position? Oh well. I'll be quiet for now. The club season starts soon. Playing middle in high school does show how versatile she is and that only helps in the recruitment process.

gosoxgo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by gosoxgo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:54 pm

vball1 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:05 am
Hailey Flowers leads the state in kills for 2A with 261 and a kill percentage of 41.8%. The closest middle hitter to her numbers is Sami Moore from Hillsboro. That's impressive considering she's typically hitting from several positions and often in transition. What's not so impressive is that she's only got 35 blocks and is ranked 54th for 2A. You think I'm right when I say she's in the wrong position? Oh well. I'll be quiet for now. The club season starts soon. Playing middle in high school does show how versatile she is and that only helps in the recruitment process.
What position do you think she should be playing?

vball1
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by vball1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:06 pm

I would like to see her play in the outside hitter spot for more than just serve receive.
Last edited by vball1 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

vball1
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by vball1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Eureka beats Tremont in two and Dee Mack beat Tri Valley in two. So first should go to Eureka, second to Dee Mack and third to Tri Valley. None of those teams should lose their final matches this week.