WCHS VB Girls Not Allowed to have PINK OUT Night

For the civil discussion of girls volleyball.
law2015
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

WCHS VB Girls Not Allowed to have PINK OUT Night

Post by law2015 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:09 pm

WCHS Varsity VB Team asked if they could honor Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a PINK Out Game. They bought
their own shirts, planned it and Head Coach and AD of the Year will not allow..Who doesn't support Cancer Awareness
EVERY Person has been touched by this horrible disease. What is happening in Washington High School they have a very
talented team but continue to lose and Now the WOMEN Coach snubs Breast Cancer awareness month and the Admin goes along....WHAT's Up over there any thoughts?????

vball1
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Re: WCHS VB Girls Not Allowed to have PINK OUT Night

Post by vball1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am

Sorry to hear that. I would think they need to state the reason for denial. We moved from Washington to get our youngest daughter away from that volleyball program. It paid off with a state championship last year. Hoping they go far this year but every school has politics and that's just a shame that the students are the ones to suffer.
If you can't dish it out, don't take it!

law2015
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by law2015 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:07 am

WCHS VB VARSITY 3 Seniors Quit?
by law2015 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:05 am

The drama continues as WCHS Varsity Volleyball Program posts on social media implies 3 Varsity Starting Seniors quit, with only limited games left to the season. This raises the question is the problem with the Coaching Staff, the Administration, the Parents or Players? Having coached for many years and dealing with both parents, players and administration I have a clear understanding of the elevated pressure on Coaches in todays environment. But also life is difficult and you will not always be coached by the best coach in your mind, work for the best employer, well you know what I mean. The question we have to ask what message will this send, will it be a wake up call to WCHS Athletics and the Administration or will it follow these players? Sports in todays society has evolved into unbearable situations both for Coaches and Players, the "Love of the Game", does not exists in many any longer. Rather than having fun, building relationships, and the experience it's about what scholarships can I get. As we all know those are far and few between and going Professional is 1 in a million. But it does seem like something is going very badly in Washington Community High School to bring it to this point. What is the answer. It seems these problems continue to be addressed both to administration and the school board, are we as the public missing something or is it time for people with children entering into High School look elsewhere that Washington?

GoBirdsGo II
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:17 am

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed below are some mine, but, mostly from a convo. I had this morning with someone very close to the Volleyball program at WCHS. It's definitely not a good situation for everyone.

The drama continues as WCHS Varsity Volleyball Program posts on social media implies 3 Varsity Starting Seniors quit
Confirmed. 3, one of which was their best player, IMHO. Gonna be a loooooong day for the Lady Panthers at the Bradley Bourbannais Turnament today.
This raises the question is the problem with the Coaching Staff, the Administration, the Parents or Players?
Yes, 3 out of 4.
will it be a wake up call to WCHS Athletics and the Administration
Seems as of late, several programs at WCHS have had issues with parents & coaches and not much has come from it. Parents concerns, for whatever reason, seem to fall on deaf ears. From the outside looking in it appears that way and according to my source.
will it follow these players?
Doubtful. One has already signed with a D-1 program.
Sports in todays society has evolved into unbearable situations both for Coaches and Players, the "Love of the Game", does not exists in many any longer. Rather than having fun, building relationships, and the experience it's about what scholarships can I get. As we all know those are far and few between and going Professional is 1 in a million.
Who cares about going pro. Parents are delusional, but not that delusional. Well, at least I think they aren't. But, with so many scholie $$$$$$ out there to be had, and the amount of time & money these parents have invested in their kids future, you can see why today parents think the have a "say so".
But it does seem like something is going very badly in Washington Community High School to bring it to this point.
As it pertains to Volleyball, several really qualified folks applied for the job and they give it to the Supers' wife. People with an investment in the program are going to get riled up. Can't blame 'em.
It seems these problems continue to be addressed both to administration and the school board
Are they????
is it time for people with children entering into High School look elsewhere that Washington?
They already are. Metamora has been recipients of what, 4 WCHS athletes moving to our town just this year???
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

EPNeck483
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by EPNeck483 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:19 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:17 am
Parents concerns, for whatever reason, seem to fall on deaf ears. From the outside looking in it appears that way and according to my source.
This is honest question -- what are the concerns? Is this coach putting the players' health or safety in danger? Is the coach verbally or physically abusive?

Steve Stein said on Twitter last month that parents hijacked a school board meeting to question the coach's qualifications (https://twitter.com/SpartanSteve/status ... 2379208704). The school chose her to be the coach. Adam's story from last year said she had experience as a high school assistant at three different schools, including Washington. So what's the problem? They have a bad record? It's a slippery slope when high students or their parents are convinced they "know more" than the coach or that the coach is unqualified. It's high school. You're not going to fire coaches based on wins and losses. The Mid-Illini has really good teams with Division I signees every year. Limestone's best player is going to play in the Big East next year. Perhaps the parents of these kids should entertain the idea that some of the kids at Washington are not very good at volleyball? Or at the very least, they're not as good as some of their rivals?

And for the kids that allegedly quit -- if that's their response to this adversity, so be it. In my opinion, there's nothing noble about walking out on your teammates with two weeks left in your season season because you don't like the coach. Dealing with teachers, coaches, bosses, co-workers, etc. that you don't like is part of life.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:55 pm

I have been told one of the girls that quit called her D1 coach to ask if it would effect her commitment and was told “I can’t believe you’ve stuck it out this long”
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

4sports
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by 4sports » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:57 pm

EPNeck483 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:19 pm
GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Parents concerns, for whatever reason, seem to fall on deaf ears. From the outside looking in it appears that way and according to my source.
This is honest question -- what are the concerns? Is this coach putting the players' health or safety in danger? Is the coach verbally or physically abusive?

Steve Stein said on Twitter last month that parents hijacked a school board meeting to question the coach's qualifications (https://twitter.com/SpartanSteve/status ... 2379208704). The school chose her to be the coach. Adam's story from last year said she had experience as a high school assistant at three different schools, including Washington. So what's the problem? They have a bad record? It's a slippery slope when high students or their parents are convinced they "know more" than the coach or that the coach is unqualified. It's high school. You're not going to fire coaches based on wins and losses. The Mid-Illini has really good teams with Division I signees every year. Limestone's best player is going to play in the Big East next year. Perhaps the parents of these kids should entertain the idea that some of the kids at Washington are not very good at volleyball? Or at the very least, they're not as good as some of their rivals?

And for the kids that allegedly quit -- if that's their response to this adversity, so be it. In my opinion, there's nothing noble about walking out on your teammates with two weeks left in your season season because you don't like the coach. Dealing with teachers, coaches, bosses, co-workers, etc. that you don't like is part of life.
There needs to be consistency in the hiring of coaches at this school. Why in the boys programs are the coaches college athletes with head coaching experience, and in this particular instance this "coach" played in junior high had 0 head coaching experience. As for being an assistant , the AD at NW has been there 12 years and never heard of her. The last two head coaches at NW have never heard of her. She was a volunteer at Carterville, a small school. Volunteer what? She was an assistant at washington for one year under Heinz. They need to set some standards across the board on what qualifies someone to teach/coach. Two very qualified coaches applied for this job. Why go with the person with the least qualifications? Politics.

EPNeck483
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by EPNeck483 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:59 pm

4sports wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:57 pm
There needs to be consistency in the hiring of coaches at this school. Why in the boys programs are the coaches college athletes with head coaching experience, and in this particular instance this "coach" played in junior high had 0 head coaching experience. As for being an assistant , the AD at NW has been there 12 years and never heard of her. The last two head coaches at NW have never heard of her. She was a volunteer at Carterville, a small school. Volunteer what? She was an assistant at washington for one year under Heinz. They need to set some standards across the board on what qualifies someone to teach/coach. Two very qualified coaches applied for this job. Why go with the person with the least qualifications? Politics.
It's a fair point to ask for consistency when a school hires head coaches. But that grievance should be directed at Washington's administration, not this woman that applied for and was hired to do a job.

These coaches work nights, weekends, early mornings and spend significant time away from their families. They all do their best to win. Seeing as Washington parents were complaining to the the school board barely a month into the season, it seems as if she was dealt a pretty tough hand and given very little chance to do her job without outside interference.

Look, teams have bad seasons. The previous coach had a losing season as recently as 2014. The folks in Washington gave this woman, what, barely a year before they demanded her resignation? Give me a break. You mentioned the athletics director and head coaches at Normal West had never heard of this coach. You put the word "coach" in quotes essentially to scoff at her credentials. Are you implying Adam Duvall's reporting of her experience at Normal West was incorrect -- or that she lied on her resume?

I'll go back to my original question -- was this woman putting these kids in some sort of danger? These kids that quit really couldn't grind out another week?

4sports
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by 4sports » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:06 pm

EPNeck483 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:59 pm
4sports wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:57 pm
It's a fair point to ask for consistency when a school hires head coaches. But that grievance should be directed at Washington's administration, not this woman that applied for and was hired to do a job.

These coaches work nights, weekends, early mornings and spend significant time away from their families. They all do their best to win. Seeing as Washington parents were complaining to the the school board barely a month into the season, it seems as if she was dealt a pretty tough hand and given very little chance to do her job without outside interference.

Look, teams have bad seasons. The previous coach had a losing season as recently as 2014. The folks in Washington gave this woman, what, barely a year before they demanded her resignation? Give me a break. You mentioned the athletics director and head coaches at Normal West had never heard of this coach. You put the word "coach" in quotes essentially to scoff at her credentials. Are you implying Adam Duvall's reporting of her experience at Normal West was incorrect -- or that she lied on her resume?

I'll go back to my original question -- was this woman putting these kids in some sort of danger? These kids that quit really couldn't grind out another week?
/Grievances were directed to the administration and the board. They have no response.

She was given break last season. Parents were assured she was still learning and it would get better.

Infer what you will. It only takes a phone call. And again the administration has no response.

Is that all it takes to be a coach...not put a kid in physical danger. How sad.

hawksfan

Post by hawksfan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 am

EPNeck483 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:19 pm
GoBirdsGo II wrote:

This isn’t about W/L or liking or disliking a coach. Do you really think 3 senior starters just woke up one morning and decided to walk away after investing 8 years into volleyball, including playing club during the spring/summer?

Practices were consistently cancelled, on average one per week. When practices were held, they rarely lasted 2 hours and the drills were 6th grade level. These girls communicated with the coach that they needed more challenge in practice to prepare them to compete at game speed in games, nothing changed. Head & shoulders, knees and toes doesn’t cut it for a varsity sport. They asked her for feedback on what to do in game situations and got blank stares. They asked to be coached and were told there is no asking questions and tagged as disrespectful. After their many attempts in trying to communicate with the coach, the entire varsity team went to the AD and communicated the same concerns. When that discussion was again met with no response the concerns were escalated to the board. The admin/board pres sat in a meeting full of parents and said, yes, something needs to be done to improve the situation and then did nothing.

These girls weren’t complaining because things were too hard, they were asking to be challenged and coached. This is a varsity sport at a 3A school. Basic job expectations should be required such as: having practice, teaching & developing fundamentals, having the knowledge to give appropriate feedback, leading a team by example and being capable of two-way communication.

The coaches and administration say they want students to be able to self-advocate. These girls did a lot of that and were met with a roadblock at every turn. The board says they want to hear when there are issues but when they don’t have answers they go silent. Before we throw around the nobility of 16 & 17 yr olds, let's ask where is the nobility & accountability of the adults who are leading them.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:52 pm

I do not know all the specifics of this case, although, I have been told quite a bit from some involved.

One thing, I think that needs to be stated though is just because players or parents go to administration, it does not mean a change has to be made.

I am all for players talking to the coach, AD, and school board IF they feel a need to. I think that does teach them a great deal. However, just because someone complains about something, it shouldn't automatically lead to a mid season change.

I do think it should lead to a review of the program after the season is complete.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:07 pm

JD wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:52 pm
I do think it should lead to a review of the program after the season is complete.
I agree and I’m not surprised as they don’t normally dismiss any coach during the season being high school sports and a non legal / abuse situation. It would be rare for any school to do that. Just really stinks for the seniors to have this situation happen their last year of high school.

Jeepin
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Jeepin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm

law2015 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:09 pm
WCHS Varsity VB Team asked if they could honor Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a PINK Out Game. They bought
their own shirts, planned it and Head Coach and AD of the Year will not allow..Who doesn't support Cancer Awareness
EVERY Person has been touched by this horrible disease. What is happening in Washington High School they have a very
talented team but continue to lose and Now the WOMEN Coach snubs Breast Cancer awareness month and the Admin goes along....WHAT's Up over there any thoughts?????
You had my attention until you said it was a "very talented team". A 3 - 10 mid-illini team cannot be talented unless they are "very" young and this team is/was primarily seniors. What is the true story on the Pink out game or was this just another attempt of parents trying to skew public opinion toward the Coach.

Baseball Junkie
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Baseball Junkie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm

No matter what school your at,when a really bad hire happens, it always exposes itself somehow. Way to many good volleyball people applied to be in this situation.

leopardbutt

Post by leopardbutt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:37 am

Soooo, the boys basketball coach is too tough on the kids, and the volleyball coach is too easy on them. I can see how administration might think twice before acting.
If people make fun of you, that probably means you're doing something right. –Evanescence

vball1
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by vball1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:17 pm

I've said it before in these forums and I'll say it again. Club is king for volleyball. If a girl wants to play in college at D1 or even most D2s then she better be playing at the elite club level. High school volleyball is for fun mostly. You don't see a bunch of recruiters going to high school volleyball matches unless they're interested in a specific player after seeing them at a club match.

With that said I doubt very much that Washington would hire a boys basketball coach or football coach with similar qualifications as this volleyball coach.
If you can't dish it out, don't take it!

law2015
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by law2015 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 pm

"Steve Stein said on Twitter last month that parents hijacked a school board meeting to question the coach's qualifications (https://twitter.com/SpartanSteve/status ... 2379208704). The school chose her to be the coach. Adam's story from last year said she had experience as a high school assistant at three different schools, including Washington. So what's the problem? They have a bad record? It's a slippery slope when high students or their parents are convinced they "know more" than the coach or that the coach is unqualified. It's high school. You're not going to fire coaches based on wins and losses. The Mid-Illini has really good teams with Division I signees every year. Limestone's best player is going to play in the Big East next year. Perhaps the parents of these kids should entertain the idea that some of the kids at Washington are not very good at volleyball? Or at the very least, they're not as good as some of their rivals?"

Per Adam Duvall's reporting all he did was repeat what the Administration TOLD HIM NO INVESTIGATING in reporting, it would be interesting if a reporter actually did some investigation when writing a story and FIND the TRUTH - the parents found the truth is what I heard, The current coach only played 5th grade through Freshman HS at most. The Administration said they verified her qualifications that she was ASST and Was going to be Head Coach at Normal West had she not moved UNTRUE so who's lying the Administration or the Coach on her resume? The Board also should be held accountable,"Bad Record" isn't the problem the lack of training..to be "Good" at Volleyball you have to continue High Level and Pace of training in this conference, even your BEST of the BEST, if are not continued to be trained do not stay at their optimum level of play any *** would know that if you have any coaching experience at all try "Entertaining" the idea "Qualified Coaches" should be hired for girl sports at WCSH as are hired for the Boys sports, I assure you this would not happen - when the wrestling coach resigned I promise you they just didn't walk down the hall and say Hey your a Teacher your going to be our next Head Coach of wrestling, never would have happen ever!!!

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:05 am

law2015 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 pm
"Steve Stein said on Twitter last month that parents hijacked a school board meeting to question the coach's qualifications (https://twitter.com/SpartanSteve/status ... 2379208704). The school chose her to be the coach. Adam's story from last year said she had experience as a high school assistant at three different schools, including Washington. So what's the problem? They have a bad record? It's a slippery slope when high students or their parents are convinced they "know more" than the coach or that the coach is unqualified. It's high school. You're not going to fire coaches based on wins and losses. The Mid-Illini has really good teams with Division I signees every year. Limestone's best player is going to play in the Big East next year. Perhaps the parents of these kids should entertain the idea that some of the kids at Washington are not very good at volleyball? Or at the very least, they're not as good as some of their rivals?"

Per Adam Duvall's reporting all he did was repeat what the Administration TOLD HIM NO INVESTIGATING in reporting, it would be interesting if a reporter actually did some investigation when writing a story and FIND the TRUTH - the parents found the truth is what I heard, The current coach only played 5th grade through Freshman HS at most. The Administration said they verified her qualifications that she was ASST and Was going to be Head Coach at Normal West had she not moved UNTRUE so who's lying the Administration or the Coach on her resume? The Board also should be held accountable,"Bad Record" isn't the problem the lack of training..to be "Good" at Volleyball you have to continue High Level and Pace of training in this conference, even your BEST of the BEST, if are not continued to be trained do not stay at their optimum level of play any *** would know that if you have any coaching experience at all try "Entertaining" the idea "Qualified Coaches" should be hired for girl sports at WCSH as are hired for the Boys sports, I assure you this would not happen - when the wrestling coach resigned I promise you they just didn't walk down the hall and say Hey your a Teacher your going to be our next Head Coach of wrestling, never would have happen ever!!!
Here's some investigating for you:
The parents found the truth? Their "truth" was the current AD had no idea who she was. That's true, because the current AD's tenure started in July 2006 and she worked at Normal West from 1997-2005.
Follow me on Twitter: @AdamDuvall

law2015
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by law2015 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:37 pm

@Adam Duvall it was not a dig at you but simply you were lied to just like some of the parents feel like they were...here's some more investigating - According to several parents close to the situation I talked to over the weekend...The "Coach" was not listed or documented anywhere within Normal West High School as an Assistant or even in the Volleyball program back to year 2000 per Yearbooks, 8to18, or having conversations with Head Coaches of Normal West High School Volleyball Program from 1992-2015! BINGO NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF HER in ANY of the Volleyball Community. NO DOCUMENTATION ANYWHERE!!!!!!!! NONE. But according to WACOHI Administration she was going to be the Next Head VB Coach at Normal West HS had she not moved, it's hard to be Hired as a Head Coach if no one has ever heard of you or you have NO EXPERIENCE, expect at WACOHI :lol:

So sorry if you felt like anyone was ditching you, you can only report what your told, but would LOVE to see a true investigated story be done, I would love to know who is lying here the Administration/Board, the Coach, or the Parents?

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:28 am

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Now have hired Dawn Davis. :shock: